Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Aug 3, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #1,786 of 1,871
Do you think V2 is worth the full retail price nowadays? They are still 680€/$800 on Aliexpress and I'm little unsure about that.

In terms of sound: If the tuning direction is of your taste - I’d say yes for sure! Oriolus Mk2 is still competitive in the 1000$ class imo. I’ve written it before, but me personally I have even prefered it to the Andromeda (again: depends on taste though). For sure Oriolus still is technically ahead of many of its Chifi Competition. But in terms of build, looks and accessories- I ‘d say there is better arround at lower prices...

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #1,787 of 1,871
I just upgraded my tips on v2 to Sedna Xe sticky and the performance zoomed up to reference level. Consider the price rise of other oriolus models they are a bargain!
In terms of sound: If the tuning direction is of your taste - I’d say yes for sure! Oriolus Mk2 is still competitive in the 1000 class imo. I’ve written it before, but me personally I have even prefered it to the Andromeda (depends on people though). In terms of build, looks and accessories- I ‘d say there is better arround at lower prices...

Thanks for the quick answers guys! I think I dare to put them on my list. :) Finschi is probably on my current Top3 and I would be super curious to try these out as well if they sound even remotely similar.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #1,788 of 1,871
I just upgraded my tips on v2 to Sedna Xe sticky and the performance zoomed up to reference level. Consider the price rise of other oriolus models they are a bargain!

IMG_20200730_150718.jpgIMG_20200730_170322.jpg
I share your experience on that " reference level" tuning courtesy the awesome sednas!
The best seal ever, Staging on all axes increase, & it sounds like an ever expanding sound field.
Should your set sound over boomy to your ears, these tips are a great solution...

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #1,789 of 1,871
Thanks for the quick answers guys! I think I dare to put them on my list. :) Finschi is probably on my current Top3 and I would be super curious to try these out as well if they sound even remotely similar.

880$ plus shipping would get you the Reborn+PW no.5 cable. There's some math in there.

Aug 10, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #1,790 of 1,871
Hi! This is the Chinese version of Mk2 (without the P.W. Audio cable of the Japanese version). The original Oriolus did not have lettering on them!

Sorry for quoting a bit old message, but is there any other differences between the japanese and chinese version than a different cable? My Finschi is supposedly chinese made and it's been working fine.

E: I found a comparison after digging the thread... I'm not a "cable believer" but it seems that they are about the same. :stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #1,791 of 1,871
Sorry for quoting a bit old message, but is there any other differences between the japanese and chinese version than a different cable? My Finschi is supposedly chinese made and it's been working fine.

E: I found a comparison after digging the thread... I'm not a "cable believer" but it seems that they are about the same. :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as I know the only difference between the Chinese version and the Japanese MK2 version is the cable and packaging! Best!

Aug 22, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #1,792 of 1,871
The Oriolus MK2 is the only IEM I've sold and re-bought. Tried moving up the ladder with Mellianus, but good ol' MK2 is still my favourite sound-wise. To cement the occasion I asked for a reshell and complete makeover via Itsfit, knowing full well what Kien is capable of. And the results are stunning beyond words.

The koi fish, lilypads and stones occupy different layers of the faceplate, creating a 3D effect. And as you move the earpieces, blue tears at the bottom surface glitter when reflecting light.

The amount of detail stuffed into something smaller than a 50 cent coin is simply staggering. Once again I tip my hat to Kien for a job well done. This is surely the nicest IEM in my collection.

Goes without saying but yeah, the fit is fantastic with excellent seal, while the sound is just as I remember.

20200817_182428.jpg
20200817_182101.jpg
20200817_131005.jpg

Aug 22, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #1,793 of 1,871
The Oriolus MK2 is the only IEM I've sold and re-bought. Tried moving up the ladder with Mellianus, but good ol' MK2 is still my favourite sound-wise. To cement the occasion I asked for a reshell and complete makeover via Itsfit, knowing full well what Kien is capable of. And the results are stunning beyond words.

The koi fish, lilypads and stones occupy different layers of the faceplate, creating a 3D effect. And as you move the earpieces, blue tears at the bottom surface glitter when reflecting light.

The amount of detail stuffed into something smaller than a 50 cent coin is simply staggering. Once again I tip my hat to Kien for a job well done. This is surely the nicest IEM in my collection.

Goes without saying but yeah, the fit is fantastic with excellent seal, while the sound is just as I remember.

How much the reshell service??

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #1,794 of 1,871
How much the reshell service??
USD200 for reshell service (higher than the usual USD150 because of difficulty), another USD200 for this particular design. Reasonable considering the uniqueness.

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #1,795 of 1,871

That looks stunning! Recently the best I’ve ever seen.
MKII / Reborn is one my favorite iem into my collection, absolutely a keeper.

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #1,796 of 1,871
USD200 for reshell service (higher than the usual USD150 because of difficulty), another USD200 for this particular design. Reasonable considering the uniqueness.
Still. Great resource for all of us. Breathes new life to cracked shells. Very reasonable if you asked me. Well done friend.

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #1,797 of 1,871
To the Oriolus lovers...:
I've tried a lot of IEM but for years I have still Oriolus Oriolus. I want to go further in term of resolution and details. Also I would like more sub bass (go deeper, not in quantity) and not having a V shape still keeping these lovely mids. And today on what I've heard it's often a V shaped curve (more or less). I want also keep this groove that Oriolus can provide and not a technical show..
I bought and sold (in the same price range): Hyla CE5, Andromeda, ES Grace, Vega, EE Bravado, TG334, Itsfit Fusion...
Any idea ?

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #1,798 of 1,871
To the Oriolus lovers...:
I've tried a lot of IEM but for years I have still Oriolus Oriolus. I want to go further in term of resolution and details. Also I would like more sub bass (go deeper, not in quantity) and not having a V shape still keeping these lovely mids. And today on what I've heard it's often a V shaped curve (more or less). I want also keep this groove that Oriolus can provide and not a technical show..
I bought and sold (in the same price range): Hyla CE5, Andromeda, ES Grace, Vega, EE Bravado, TG334, Itsfit Fusion...
Any idea ?
UM MEST might be a candidate with bone conduction

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #1,799 of 1,871
A few things to mention.

There is nothing like a w-shape or v-shape sound. People keep talking about it, but there is no Inear which actually has that kind of shape. Simply because it would sound terribly wrong. What you get are a bunch of Inears that more or less resemble a tendency towards a special shape.

Talking about the Oriolus (hope the most prominent one, the mk2) there is no way you can apply w-shape or v shape sound. So dont get caught here when looking for a special type of Sound.

Then you said you wanted something that diggs deeper in the sub Bass. Sorry to tell you but the Oriolus is already "endgame" in that regard. And even if not.. You will have a hard time to make the 10-30hz area relevant for your listening session. Relevant in a sense that you say something like "wow this is what I wanted". So rather look for a similar tuning but I guess with a little bit more quantity. Keep in mind that the Oriolus is VERY good at separating the bass from the mids, there is no bleeding at all, something which really needs to be appreciated with this set.

In terms of overall resolution I would suggest you look for something with a more "linear" frequency response and, in addition, with more energy beyond 10khz. The high end Iteration of the qdc lineup can be considered an upgrade. Ironically, you will loose a bit of the "charme" of the Oriolus. This is because the Oriolus has a sense of warmness, richness and smoothness to its sound without sacrifing clarity and details. It just sounds good the way it is even if you can definitely use your EQ to make them even better.

I saw you mentioned Andromeda and vega, well those have nothing to do with what Oriolus is trying to do, so the disappointment is a rather natural occurring.

A few recommendations :

- JQ Huajiang
- Shanling me700
- qdc 8 Series (8sl and 8sh not the SS), the gemini and the anole vx
- if your balls are huge enough do a little research on the brand "SeeAudio" and look at the graphs provided by alieexpress
- thieaudio clairyvoyance and the Monarch
- Vision ears v8

And they are even more to consider but I cant remember all of them.

One more thing : Although the inner desire to upgrade is something permanent in this realm, there is often no need to do so.

Aug 25, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #1,800 of 1,871
A few things to mention.

There is nothing like a w-shape or v-shape sound. People keep talking about it, but there is no Inear which actually has that kind of shape. Simply because it would sound terribly wrong. What you get are a bunch of Inears that more or less resemble a tendency towards a special shape.

Talking about the Oriolus (hope the most prominent one, the mk2) there is no way you can apply w-shape or v shape sound. So dont get caught here when looking for a special type of Sound.

Then you said you wanted something that diggs deeper in the sub Bass. Sorry to tell you but the Oriolus is already "endgame" in that regard. And even if not.. You will have a hard time to make the 10-30hz area relevant for your listening session. Relevant in a sense that you say something like "wow this is what I wanted". So rather look for a similar tuning but I guess with a little bit more quantity. Keep in mind that the Oriolus is VERY good at separating the bass from the mids, there is no bleeding at all, something which really needs to be appreciated with this set.

In terms of overall resolution I would suggest you look for something with a more "linear" frequency response and, in addition, with more energy beyond 10khz. The high end Iteration of the qdc lineup can be considered an upgrade. Ironically, you will loose a bit of the "charme" of the Oriolus. This is because the Oriolus has a sense of warmness, richness and smoothness to its sound without sacrifing clarity and details. It just sounds good the way it is even if you can definitely use your EQ to make them even better.

I saw you mentioned Andromeda and vega, well those have nothing to do with what Oriolus is trying to do, so the disappointment is a rather natural occurring.

A few recommendations :

- JQ Huajiang
- Shanling me700
- qdc 8 Series (8sl and 8sh not the SS), the gemini and the anole vx
- if your balls are huge enough do a little research on the brand "SeeAudio" and look at the graphs provided by alieexpress
- thieaudio clairyvoyance and the Monarch
- Vision ears v8

And they are even more to consider but I cant remember all of them.

One more thing : Although the inner desire to upgrade is something permanent in this realm, there is often no need to do so.
i love my Oriolus. Sedna AeElastic tips helped control the bass better....and a silver cable might bring out more high end air for you and details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back