Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Aug 25, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #1,801 of 1,871
Unfortunately, I am not competent enough so that I can say "I am currently listening to a silver cable / now cooper / now gold" due to changes in frequency response, for example a change in the post10khz region. Sorry for that. But I know that upgrading via cable change is a common and also well-accepted phenomena here on headfi. Just saying that my competence is not big enough so I am going to skip this one.

Sep 22, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #1,802 of 1,871
What's up everyone... I just received the Oriolus MKII and I'm very impressed with it's sound. To me it almost sounds like a mature version of the Campfire Audio Vega.

Sep 22, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #1,803 of 1,871
What's up everyone... I just received the Oriolus MKII and I'm very impressed with it's sound. To me it almost sounds like a mature version of the Campfire Audio Vega.

Interesting comparison (more thoughts pls). Btw, you're never too late. I haven't the need to spend more after it. Love that it's never fatigued me.

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #1,804 of 1,871
Interesting comparison (more thoughts pls). Btw, you're never too late. I haven't the need to spend more after it. Love that it's never fatigued me.

The Oriolus MKII feels more balanced and even more engaging that the Vega.

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #1,805 of 1,871
I'm loving this IEM to the point where I don't see any need to upgrade, and for the price that I paid I feel extremely lucky..

I'm now interested in purchasing the Reborn LTD.
Has anyone had any experience with it?

Oct 30, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #1,806 of 1,871
I just got an iFi Zen Can amp to feed my MDR-Z1R a bit more power than my WM1A can offer and I thought I'd try my Oriolus (original), I was quite surprised how great they sound with the extra power - I was blown away by the bass and soundstage improvements.

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #1,807 of 1,871
I just got an iFi Zen Can amp to feed my MDR-Z1R a bit more power than my WM1A can offer and I thought I'd try my Oriolus (original), I was quite surprised how great they sound with the extra power - I was blown away by the bass and soundstage improvements.

This is absolutely true. People that haven't tried this, don't know what their missing. My personal best iem for my needs.

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,808 of 1,871
This is absolutely true. People that haven't tried this, don't know what their missing. My personal best iem for my needs.
i got my Reborn 4 years ago and still one of the best iems in my audio lab much improved with external power amp, esp the portable MacIntosh H50 dac amp out of LG50
really lovely...

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #1,809 of 1,871
I have read the comments saying that the MKii are the same as the original but with better shell material and the PW Audio cable and they are otherwise the same.
Can anyone please tell me if there is any difference in sound between them? I frequently see the MKii rated quite highly and as I opted for a PW Audio no.5 cable I was getting the same experience with my Oriolus Oriolus.

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #1,810 of 1,871
I have read the comments saying that the MKii are the same as the original but with better shell material and the PW Audio cable and they are otherwise the same.
Can anyone please tell me if there is any difference in sound between them? I frequently see the MKii rated quite highly and as I opted for a PW Audio no.5 cable I was getting the same experience with my Oriolus Oriolus.
Hi! I have written about it before in this thread! I have compared them side by side, using the same cable. Mk II is slightly more colored, meaning slightly more prominent sub bass and treble shimmer. Oriolus original is a little flatter (though of course NOT a truly “flat“ signature at all). Difference is only subtle, but me, personally, I prefer MKII because it sounds a little more exiting to my ears. Might depend on taste though. In general, they both have the typical meaty and emotional Oriolus signature...

Nov 1, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,811 of 1,871
Hi! I have written about it before in this thread! I have compared them side by side, using the same cable. Mk II is slightly more colored, meaning slightly more prominent sub bass and treble shimmer. Oriolus original is a little flatter (though of course NOT a truly “flat“ signature at all). Difference is only subtle, but me, personally, I prefer MKII because it sounds a little more exiting to my ears. Might depend on taste though. In general, they both have the typical meaty and emotional Oriolus signature...
Hi Hanesu. Thanks, I would have read your comment a few years ago but must have forgotten. I chose to replace the Z5 with these, then recently tried the Z5 again but realised that I truly like the Oriolus more - the fit, isolation is the best for me.
There are recent custom firmwares for the WM1A which have great synergy with them, and using them with a powerful amp has taken them to a new level. I can't afford the higher end ones but if I ever get back to Japan I may try the Mkii.

Nov 1, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #1,812 of 1,871
Hi Hanesu. Thanks, I would have read your comment a few years ago but must have forgotten. I chose to replace the Z5 with these, then recently tried the Z5 again but realised that I truly like the Oriolus more - the fit, isolation is the best for me.
There are recent custom firmwares for the WM1A which have great synergy with them, and using them with a powerful amp has taken them to a new level. I can't afford the higher end ones but if I ever get back to Japan I may try the Mkii.

I bought the Reborn -- basically ending the last chapter in this hobby. I too have no interest in spending any more because I'm too absorbed in other passions. So just that you know, the Reborn isn't that different from mk2. Though I "feel" that the Reborn has a slight bit more energy in lower treble could be the iem, or cable, or both. As the other said, you still get that delicious thick caramel taste of the Oriolus flavor nonetheless. Hope that helps.

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #1,813 of 1,871
Yes, I tried both with the same cable - PW No.5 with 2,5 balanced plug. The cable has its quirks by the way. I used it for about 1,5 years (with another IEM) and it got stiffer and stiffer (a bit like the old IE800 cables). In the end handling was really bad and also the plug was loose. Could be better with newer versions of No.5 though....I bought mine used and it was one of the first when it came out. I am currently using a Linsoul LSC09 with my Oriolus and it feels and looks great, while being cheaper and sturdier. Don’t think I can tell the difference in sound compared to the PW No.5. It sounds great.
My Mk2 has no cracks so far and I agree with the reviewer from your link that it could also come from Japanese audiophiles treating their gear bad - I can confirm that...haha.
Hi Hanesu, are you still using the Linsoul LSC09? My PW Audio no.5 just developed an issue and until I can find a fix or decide if I'll upgrade the LSC09 looks to be a good option.

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #1,814 of 1,871
Hi Hanesu, are you still using the Linsoul LSC09? My PW Audio no.5 just developed an issue and until I can find a fix or decide if I'll upgrade the LSC09 looks to be a good option.

Actually I do! And it still works and sounds fine! ☺️

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #1,815 of 1,871
To the Oriolus lovers...:
I've tried a lot of IEM but for years I have still Oriolus Oriolus. I want to go further in term of resolution and details. Also I would like more sub bass (go deeper, not in quantity) and not having a V shape still keeping these lovely mids. And today on what I've heard it's often a V shaped curve (more or less). I want also keep this groove that Oriolus can provide and not a technical show..
I bought and sold (in the same price range): Hyla CE5, Andromeda, ES Grace, Vega, EE Bravado, TG334, Itsfit Fusion...
Any idea ?

Hey mate, you might want to go for the QDC 8SL if budget isn't a concern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back