Ordered HD800/PS1000 // Interest in HD800/PS1000 // Wait and see
Feb 25, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #61 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, not allowed to vote so reply it is then..
I have ordered the HD800, but am seriously thinking about canceling. There is just something too special about the K1000...
wink.gif

Thank You!!!

I seriously thought I was the only one thinking this. The K-1000 still gives me goosebumps even though I've listened to it for years. It has such a neutral, transparent, uncolored sound that... oh well you know the rest if you've heard it in a good system.

It is simply the most transparent pipeline into the music that I've heard.

I was thinking of canceling too. I am very happy with my cans, and I think I got caught up in the hype machine of new very expensive headphones coming out. That's happened over and over and the classic phones have still been at the pinnacle when the dust settles.

Slapping wood and metal together in the PS-1000 with the GS-1000 design doesn't seem like much engineering to me considering the almost $2K price tag, so I'm pretty sure I will still like the HP-2 which is all about dissapearing and leaving the music. John hasn't made anything close to it so the HD800 is more interesting but not sure if I'll keep my pre-order... we'll see I guess.

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #64 of 95
Yeah, when I look at that, I'm reconsidering 'going all the way for SQ', everybody has his limits!

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #65 of 95
Rob,K-1000 will remain at the top forever beacuse they are the one and only earspeakers!and not headphones like everything else
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank You!!!

I seriously thought I was the only one thinking this. The K-1000 still gives me goosebumps even though I've listened to it for years. It has such a neutral, transparent, uncolored sound that... oh well you know the rest if you've heard it in a good system.

It is simply the most transparent pipeline into the music that I've heard.

I was thinking of canceling too. I am very happy with my cans, and I think I got caught up in the hype machine of new very expensive headphones coming out. That's happened over and over and the classic phones have still been at the pinnacle when the dust settles.

Slapping wood and metal together in the PS-1000 with the GS-1000 design doesn't seem like much engineering to me considering the almost $2K price tag, so I'm pretty sure I will still like the HP-2 which is all about dissapearing and leaving the music. John hasn't made anything close to it so the HD800 is more interesting but not sure if I'll keep my pre-order... we'll see I guess.

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #66 of 95
^ good point!

~~

(at picture) LOL - I don't think the HD800 or PS-1000 looks much better, but the K-1000s are definately an ugly contraption.

BTW, they look and sound waaaay better with those flaps closed or less than an itch open
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #68 of 95
robm321, I'll disagree with you about the K-1000's looks, but not your assessment of its performance.
smily_headphones1.gif
I also think that the K-1000 is one of the most practical headphones, in that you can drive them with a loudspeaker amp.

I might pass over the new high-end cans in favor of a second pair of K-1000s. They stand up well compared to speaker-fi, too. Maybe these new high end introductions can persuade AKG to resurrect the K-1000 again.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #71 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
robm321, I'll disagree with you about the K-1000's looks, but not your assessment of its performance.
smily_headphones1.gif
I also think that the K-1000 is one of the most practical headphones, in that you can drive them with a loudspeaker amp.

I might pass over the new high-end cans in favor of a second pair of K-1000s. They stand up well compared to speaker-fi, too. Maybe these new high end introductions can persuade AKG to resurrect the K-1000 again.

In this case I hope AKG will reconsider the ergonomics -- I couldn't stand the wearing comfort. It was the first and most important dealbreaker for me. The second was the weak low bass. The rest of the sonic spectrum was excellent. -- However, I'm sure the HD 800 makes such considerations pointless.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #72 of 95
No poll privileges, and not ordering either. I will wait for a (massive) price drop on HD-800 and glowing reviews from ordinary non-biased people before even contemplating springing cash for that ugly thing. 2010 at the earliest. As for Grado, I have zero interest in their newest head torturing device.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #73 of 95
I have zero love for Grado either, but the K1k is the all time torture device to me - and, I don't thank they sound all that great, even out of some of the best amps in the world.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #75 of 95
I've ordered the HD-800s. I'll decide after they've burned in whether I will focus on a dynamic or Stax rig as my main one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back