Ordered a Headamp Pico USB DAC/Amp but....
Aug 27, 2010 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dawildebeest

New Head-Fier
I ordered the Headamp Pico USB DAC/Amp back on 8/16 since I placed the order iBasso has come out with the Toucan and Boomslang combo.  I need some advice. Should I stick with the Pico or cancel my order and get a Toucan and Boomslang? I like the fact that the Boomslang has s/pdif but I will probably never use the Toucan in balanced mode. As I am sure someone is going to ask I will be listening to my Audio Technica ATH-A700 and Beyerdynamic DT-770 mostly and maybe my Denon AH-D7000.

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 5
I have attempted to contact Justin W. by e-mail twice, PM once and by phone multiple times (all which went to voice mail, which is full). You guys where not kidding when you said it is hard to get a hold of him.  Headamp says 2 weeks on orders of the Pico USB DAC/Amp but is has already been almost 4. All I want to know is will I have this thing for the trip I will be going on in October.

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 5
i had a similar experience recently. i ordered a pico dac, and the boomslang and toucan were released after my order was placed. i decided to stick with the pico tho since i already payed for it. i kept sending justin emails every few days basically until he finally sent me the shipping notice.

the toucan arrived far before the pico dac but with some persistance in emailing justin he eventually replied. so just keep at it.

also fyi, the pico dac and pb1 sound GREAT together, it seems there aren't many people on headfi using a pb1 without a boomslang but i can tell you that the sound is extremely detailed with this combo. i see no pressing reason to cancel your pico and get a boomslang unless you are going balanced. i'm not saying the boomslang doesn't sound better than the pico in SE because it might, but the pico/pb1 sounds darn good

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 5
I would personally go with the ibasso combo, but what is stopping you using it balanced? just reterminating your headphones? even without going to one of the vendors on here, you could easily buy the connectors and take them and your headphones to a local electronics store. 

the above is based purely on a design standpoint. I have owned both pico and pico slim in the past and aside from my own balanced dac/amp I run an ibasso D10 (highly modified) feeding a FiQuest

I have no experience of the sound of the latest offerings, but the design seems sound and delivery is very fast, you would likely have them within the week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back