OPUS#3 Hi-Res Audio player w/wifi and streaming
Jul 22, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #511 of 533
Nope. totally stuck. :frowning2:

No chance of getting the latest firmware manually installed cause, well, it is already updated to latest firmware, and there is no way to override the check (pretty dull).

Problem is when I do factory reset, I reboot, and it says i.e. "optimizing app, XX of 60" (!?! of course I have not installed 60 apps on the damn thing...), then it hangs up, freezes, and when/if I succeed to load it, it displays the warning that the memory is finished, even if internal memory has i.e. 90% free space...

Worst of all, now it is going in loop, rebooting every time with no chance of landing to a stable version..

H.E.L.P please :)

I don't know how Android savvy you are, but the update package can be opened up and examined (I just took a look). If you know what you are doing you can open up the package remove the attributes that control the flash process and then you should be able to roll back, or reinstall the latest update. that is assuming you can even flash the firmware at all and you can accomplish the attribute removal

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #512 of 533
I agree with the idea, problem is as long as it goes rebooting in loop, I cannot get a proper connection... :frowning2:

situation at the moment is this:

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #513 of 533
I agree with the idea, problem is as long as it goes rebooting in loop, I cannot get a proper connection... :frowning2:

situation at the moment is this:

Looks like the install file got corrupted in the installation process.

You should be able to get into the Android recovery mode by pressing

either backwards + power button, or a combo of buttons

And if you had the ROM, you should be able to restore it, but if you aren't good with computers, this may be a bit complicated.

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #514 of 533
Looks like the install file got corrupted in the installation process.

You should be able to get into the Android recovery mode by pressing

either backwards + power button, or a combo of buttons

And if you had the ROM, you should be able to restore it, but if you aren't good with computers, this may be a bit complicated.

I agree, but "combo of buttons" means some permutations... :)

Plus, I found this part, not really encouraging...

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #515 of 533
Answer from Massdrop support:
"For products that do not have an included manufacturer's warranty, customers have 30 days from the date of delivery to report an issue.

After reviewing your transaction, it appears that the time-frame for reporting an issue has passed, which means we are not able to provide a replacement or facilitate a return."

Are they kidding?

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #516 of 533
Answer from Massdrop support:
"For products that do not have an included manufacturer's warranty, customers have 30 days from the date of delivery to report an issue.

After reviewing your transaction, it appears that the time-frame for reporting an issue has passed, which means we are not able to provide a replacement or facilitate a return."

Are they kidding?

looks like it is time to #cancelAudio-Opus

Jul 22, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #517 of 533
I am still to receive feedback from Thebit, for sure the position of MassDrop over this matter is pretty awkward though: just wonder how you get along selling products with no warranty (and it's the USA, after all... go figure!).

On the product itself, I can accept some quirkiness, even some needs for "special care", but having a "brick" looping after 6 months of use, it's the most annoying thing: I did not expect that for such a brand/product.

What a pity.

p.s. do we have a Thebit connection here from the forum? I mean a sort of customer care as we do have for some other brands? Or are we left stranded with hundred grands bricks laying around? :)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #519 of 533
Indeed It Is the First Time I see an android based device that does not support recovery mode..

And I agree Massdrop needs to move on to Better policies.. Ok to save some money but minimum warranty should be granted in any case.

Jul 29, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #520 of 533
Just an update, for I want to be honest on this journey I had.

Basically After quite some effort, I have managed to get a refund from Massdrop. Just sent them the Crazy DAP and I already have the refund operation ongoing on PayPal.

In parallel, when unsure about my future I have written to The Bit, which replied asking me to send them the DAP for repair in Korea. This happened when the DAP was already travelling to Usa though.

So in the end I somehow managed to Survive; I've Lost shipping costs and duties to get the DAP in the First Place, but I think I have been lucky at the end of the day.

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #521 of 533
Just an update, for I want to be honest on this journey I had.

Basically After quite some effort, I have managed to get a refund from Massdrop.
So in the end I somehow managed to Survive; I've Lost shipping costs and duties to get the DAP in the First Place, but I think I have been lucky at the end of the day.

thanks for the update

I have been playing around with the 2nd to last update for the Opus #1 and think (key word think) I have it trimmed of the part that wont allow a downgrade. now all I need to do is work up the courage to load it and see what happens (not ready to sacrifice the DAP for curiosities sake). if I have an success (or failure) I will post my findings

Aug 11, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #522 of 533
Now, having Lost my #3, the real question Is what to get next... I am trying an iBasso DX200, with amp3 and Amp9.. nice but I miss the engagement and "Sparkle" of the opus... :frowning2:

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #523 of 533
thanks for the update

I have been playing around with the 2nd to last update for the Opus #1 and think (key word think) I have it trimmed of the part that wont allow a downgrade. now all I need to do is work up the courage to load it and see what happens (not ready to sacrifice the DAP for curiosities sake). if I have an success (or failure) I will post my findings

Hi, did you succeed?

Btw I found a very nice deal and got back again an Opus 3 (could not resist :)), so far so good, except it goes again with the "updating android apps 1 of 60 something"... do you ever happen this to you?

I mean the check of apps (so many!?) at boot... I fear something gets somehow corrupted when you uninstall old apps (I had to do it being an used DAP), or some other operations... and seen the previous experiences, I don't know if I want to factory reset :D

Btw, did you notice how few batteries it drains when on standby? I basically leave it this way all along the week, and avoid the long boot time... Second tip is to put most listened albums in the internal memory, which is the one that builds in no time, so you can listen to music while DAP rebuilds the SD db... :wink:

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #524 of 533
So sorry if this question has been answered. I have searched extensively but can't seem to get an exact response. I'm looking for a decent mid-range DAP that is, in addition to Hi-Res, also capable of streaming and offline playing, particularly with Google Music which is one method of music listening that I use. For the Opus 3:
1. Is the Opus 3 capable of loading and playing Google Play Music and/or Youtube Music?
2. Is it capable of saving to device for offline playback with the above?

Thanks!

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #525 of 533
I see this thread is not so popular for a well regarded player that I believe still has quite a few issues,I just picked the opus#3 up recently and like it very much I have always love the burr brown dac and the build is very nice and top tier,I think the wifi is very weak and this causes issues with streaming ,DLNA works fine for redbook but not so good for bigger files,spotify works fine(probably why it was pre-installed)
Qobuz and amazon hd load fine but crash constantly after a minute or two and opus reboots,although I have found that if I download the music from these two apps then switch wifi off,I can play them offline without any trouble which is a big bonus.I do not like to use a lot of apps anyway and tend to stay away from full android devices which are now saturating the market.
I see audio-opus have disabled there website so I cannot see any more support for this player which is a shame,I tend to buy older players that have lost the love and can pick them up at good price and keep the ones that I enjoy I think this one is a keeper along with my DX100,QLS- qa360 and wm1z.
Is there any other apps out there that are very stable(Tidal doesn't work at all).

cheers Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back