1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

OPUS#3 Hi-Res Audio player w/wifi and streaming

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by bengkia369, Mar 29, 2017.
First

Back
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
  1. captblaze
    I don't know how Android savvy you are, but the update package can be opened up and examined (I just took a look). If you know what you are doing you can open up the package remove the attributes that control the flash process and then you should be able to roll back, or reinstall the latest update. that is assuming you can even flash the firmware at all and you can accomplish the attribute removal

2. Matpar
    I agree with the idea, problem is as long as it goes rebooting in loop, I cannot get a proper connection... :frowning2:

situation at the moment is this:

3. Dobrescu George
    Looks like the install file got corrupted in the installation process.

You should be able to get into the Android recovery mode by pressing

either backwards + power button, or a combo of buttons

And if you had the ROM, you should be able to restore it, but if you aren't good with computers, this may be a bit complicated.

4. Matpar
    I agree, but "combo of buttons" means some permutations... :)

Plus, I found this part, not really encouraging...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  5. Matpar
    Answer from Massdrop support:
    "For products that do not have an included manufacturer's warranty, customers have 30 days from the date of delivery to report an issue.

After reviewing your transaction, it appears that the time-frame for reporting an issue has passed, which means we are not able to provide a replacement or facilitate a return."

Are they kidding?

6. captblaze
    looks like it is time to #cancelAudio-Opus

7. Matpar
    I am still to receive feedback from Thebit, for sure the position of MassDrop over this matter is pretty awkward though: just wonder how you get along selling products with no warranty (and it's the USA, after all... go figure!).

On the product itself, I can accept some quirkiness, even some needs for "special care", but having a "brick" looping after 6 months of use, it's the most annoying thing: I did not expect that for such a brand/product.

What a pity.

p.s. do we have a Thebit connection here from the forum? I mean a sort of customer care as we do have for some other brands? Or are we left stranded with hundred grands bricks laying around? :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  8. captblaze
    reply from Thebit or not, they made a conscious decision to lock their device down (although I have sorted out their firmware package) and as a result the end user is skunked when a firmware update gets borked.

Not a very good choice.

and for the record massdrop seems too shady for my likes

Matpar likes this.
  9. Matpar
    Indeed It Is the First Time I see an android based device that does not support recovery mode..

And I agree Massdrop needs to move on to Better policies.. Ok to save some money but minimum warranty should be granted in any case.

10. Matpar
    Just an update, for I want to be honest on this journey I had.

Basically After quite some effort, I have managed to get a refund from Massdrop. Just sent them the Crazy DAP and I already have the refund operation ongoing on PayPal.

In parallel, when unsure about my future I have written to The Bit, which replied asking me to send them the DAP for repair in Korea. This happened when the DAP was already travelling to Usa though.

So in the end I somehow managed to Survive; I've Lost shipping costs and duties to get the DAP in the First Place, but I think I have been lucky at the end of the day.

captblaze likes this.
  11. captblaze
    thanks for the update

I have been playing around with the 2nd to last update for the Opus #1 and think (key word think) I have it trimmed of the part that wont allow a downgrade. now all I need to do is work up the courage to load it and see what happens (not ready to sacrifice the DAP for curiosities sake). if I have an success (or failure) I will post my findings

Matpar likes this.
  12. Matpar
    Now, having Lost my #3, the real question Is what to get next... I am trying an iBasso DX200, with amp3 and Amp9.. nice but I miss the engagement and "Sparkle" of the opus... :frowning2:

13. Matpar
    Hi, did you succeed?

Btw I found a very nice deal and got back again an Opus 3 (could not resist :)), so far so good, except it goes again with the "updating android apps 1 of 60 something"... do you ever happen this to you?

I mean the check of apps (so many!?) at boot... I fear something gets somehow corrupted when you uninstall old apps (I had to do it being an used DAP), or some other operations... and seen the previous experiences, I don't know if I want to factory reset :D

Btw, did you notice how few batteries it drains when on standby? I basically leave it this way all along the week, and avoid the long boot time... Second tip is to put most listened albums in the internal memory, which is the one that builds in no time, so you can listen to music while DAP rebuilds the SD db... :wink:

First

Back
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34