OPUS#3 Hi-Res Audio player w/wifi and streaming
Apr 19, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #121 of 533
I know you like your OPUS

Can you do the company and forum members a favor and maybe... update the title for this device?

ex.

​ 
I actually have limited experience with the AK240:)

My Opus #2 seems to benefits from burning in, the soundstage seems to opened up quite significantly when I feel the soundstage is quite narrow out of the box compared to AK240.
The more I listen to Opus #2, the more I love it especially with my Fitear Tg334 and Audio Technica Ck100pro.

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #122 of 533

Quote:
I know you like your OPUS

Can you do the company and forum members a favor and maybe... update the title for this device?

ex.

​ 
I actually have limited experience with the AK240:)

Quote:
My Opus #2 seems to benefits from burning in, the soundstage seems to opened up quite significantly when I feel the soundstage is quite narrow out of the box compared to AK240.
The more I listen to Opus #2, the more I love it especially with my Fitear Tg334 and Audio Technica Ck100pro.

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #125 of 533
Here is some Opus family pictures, showcasing Opus#3 next to Opus#1 and Opus#2:

As you already know, Opus#3 is officially released and you can actually find a full detailed spec on MusicTeck which already has it in stock.

In terms of a sound, I only had it on burn in for 24hrs, and it's too early to form a solid opinion since the sound is still changing.  This morning a did a quick test, using W900 with balanced terminated Han Aurora hybrid cable, medium gain, and setting audio output to 32bit (DSP), and I'm hearing Opus#3 having a tonality closer to Opus#1 (smoother, warmer, organic), while the transparency, the resolution, and the layering of sounds is closer to Opus#2.  So basically, as a very first impression I hear it being positioned right in between #2 and #1 in terms of sound quality and the performance. I guess you can call it a happy medium
wink.gif

Also, Spotify streaming works as advertised, no issues.  The build quality is solid, leather case (i'm sure, also from Dignis) fits like a glove, volume wheel is easy to operate with a thumb (nice click action), GUI is identical to #1 and #2.

Will keep it on burn in for 100hrs before further evaluation.

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #128 of 533

(smoother, warmer, organic)

Is this really the 1792A and not AK4490 inside the #3? ))

As they say, straight from the horse's mouth
biggrin.gif
  That's what Opus#3 spec says.

As I mentioned before, don't rely on the assumption of your previous DAC experience.  I'm testing now Plenue 2 with AK4497EQ and it has a reference quality sound closer to LPG (w/PCM1792A), not your typical AKM performance.  While Opus#2 with a dual ESS9028Pro DACs doesn't sound like a typical brighter Sabre DAC.  DAC is important, but you have to take into account filters and also head-amp circuit which can change sound characteristics.  After all, many people use desktop and portable amps to color the sound, and the same applies inside of the DAP 
wink.gif

Also, please keep in mind, I'm just describing how I hear it, my subjective opinion.  Let's get more impressions!

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #129 of 533
Bit late to the party, photos:

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #131 of 533
Opus #3 metal looks thinner than Opus #2 & is much lighter too, am I right?

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #132 of 533

The thickness is the same, while #3 is about 30g lighter and a little shorter.

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #133 of 533

No, it look probably very similar except the design, and the weight is familiar to Opus 2. Following is the first impression to feed on for your curiosity and from my observations. Let's the burn-in commences

If anyone wonder, Opus 3 with BB does still sound like your typical BB but is tuned to the best of what BB Signature could carry on. Blooming bass, and very dense treble body :D, surprisingly great soundstage. It is still a very balanced and neutral sound signature or (opus house sound), but it also exploit the BB Signature to the very best of it. I only have it running for 8 hours or so today, but can already say that if you like BB and references quality @ affordable price , the Opus 3, may be your answer.

The back of the Opus 3 appear to be metallic to me, and my wife, even though it is thinner than the whole body chassis. The only way to be sure is to scratch it and see....not gonna do it.

My unit is an evaluation unit, so it comes with the leather case thrown in. The sealed box of opus 3 has no leather case in it. So it is safe to say that Opus 3 will not have the leather case in the box

I like the Opus 3 design better than Opus 2. Yes, opus 2 design while very catchy, the volume button protruded too far out and can easily be rotated accidentally inside the pocket. The sockets were too flush with the chassis body which made the uses of no-collar plugs to be an issue as it will scratch off the anodizing finish and potentially create a "short". The Opus 3 has a more discrete volume dial which can only be access on one side while sitting in your pocket, and well hidden underneath the chassis. The sockets are now protruded a bit further which makes it viable to use no-collar plugs easier (collar or no-collar style is personal preferences). I prefer no-collar because the 2.5mm is already small and delicate enough, add in the length of the collar just makes it appear weaker IMO

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #134 of 533

No, it look probably very similar except the design, and the weight is familiar to Opus 2. Following is the first impression to feed on for your curiosity and from my observations. Let's the burn-in commences

If anyone wonder, Opus 3 with BB does still sound like your typical BB but is tuned to the best of what BB Signature could carry on. Blooming bass, and very dense treble body
biggrin.gif
, surprisingly great soundstage. It is still a very balanced and neutral sound signature or (opus house sound), but it also exploit the BB Signature to the very best of it. I only have it running for 8 hours or so today, but can already say that if you like BB and references quality @ affordable price , the Opus 3, may be your answer.

The back of the Opus 3 appear to be metallic to me, and my wife, even though it is thinner than the whole body chassis. The only way to be sure is to scratch it and see....not gonna do it.

My unit is an evaluation unit, so it comes with the leather case thrown in. The sealed box of opus 3 has no leather case in it. So it is safe to say that Opus 3 will not have the leather case in the box

I confirmed with theBit, the back of the unit is indeed plastic. Quoting their reply: "The pyramid shape of the back panel is too difficult to make by metal, and when made from metal, the MSRP has risen so much. We decided to make the back panel with plastic by considering both price and design."  But as you can see, this is a quality hard plastic with a metallic finish, almost looks like metal, right?

That's true, the original packaging box doesn't have leather case.  I was sent leather case along with my review unit as well.  But I have been told that the unit currently on sale from Musicteck, both on amazon and their website, will include a free leather case.

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #135 of 533
I confirmed with theBit, the back of the unit is indeed plastic. Quoting their reply: "[COLOR=808080]The pyramid shape of the back panel is too difficult to make by metal, and when made from metal, the MSRP has risen so much. We decided to make the back panel with plastic by considering both price and design.[/COLOR]"  But as you can see, this is a quality hard plastic with a metallic finish, almost looks like metal, right?

That's true, the original packaging box doesn't have leather case.  I was sent leather case along with my review unit as well.  But I have been told that the unit currently on sale from Musicteck, both on amazon and their website, will include a free leather case.

Excellent information! So they really try to keep the cost down to be competitive in the mid-tier ranges which include dx200 as a competition as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back