Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
May 8, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #5,536 of 6,302
Aye, that solves the pads, but what about the headband?

Also, can the pads be replaced without heavy modding?

The mod is pretty simple. I was concerned at first but it didn't take long at all and was very straightforward. The original pads use clips to attach. The mod requires a bit of glue. I'm very happy I did mine. They're now more comfortable and they fit better. I don't think there's a guide, per se, but there are some details a few pages back in this thread.

Ah the ones the require cutting the original pads and gluing these right to their base right?
There is no gluing needed at all. Just remove the original pads completely. Then pull over the new ones over the whole capsules. It’s done within a minute. Only if you want them to look exactly like the original you would have to do the gluing thingy.

May 8, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #5,537 of 6,302
For the headband replacement, Beyerdynamic has replacement pads for their headphones that might work. Or maybe this one? They have others, too, but the ones I linked look nicest (to me) and seem like they'd be simplest to try. Don't know if the DT 770/880/990 have the same sized headband, but my DT 1990 is just about the same size as the PM-3.
I was also looking at Reddit, and people were recommending fixes like bicycle/tennis racket grip tape, iron-on patch cloth, and even heatshrink fabric tubing.

May 8, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #5,538 of 6,302
Ah the ones the require cutting the original pads and gluing these right to their base right?

Yeah, you have to cut out the mesh in the original pads which makes them unusable. Then you glue the new pads on, yes.

May 8, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #5,539 of 6,302
There is no gluing needed at all. Just remove the original pads completely. Then pull over the new ones over the whole capsules. It’s done within a minute. Only if you want them to look exactly like the original you would have to do the gluing thingy.

For the headband replacement, Beyerdynamic has replacement pads for their headphones that might work. Or maybe this one? They have others, too, but the ones I linked look nicest (to me) and seem like they'd be simplest to try. Don't know if the DT 770/880/990 have the same sized headband, but my DT 1990 is just about the same size as the PM-3.
I was also looking at Reddit, and people were recommending fixes like bicycle/tennis racket grip tape, iron-on patch cloth, and even heatshrink fabric tubing.
Ah might be worth looking into, thanks!

Yeah, you have to cut out the mesh in the original pads which makes them unusable. Then you glue the new pads on, yes.

Lol make up your minds guys, do I have to cut or not?

May 8, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #5,540 of 6,302

If there is a way to remove the original pads without ruining them, I don't know what that would be. I had to cut them off. The original pads are ruined. I glued the replacement pads on. I understand there is another option but I wanted them to look stock and for that, you have to glue them on. It's really not very difficult and the approach is determined by how you want them to look in the end.

May 8, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #5,541 of 6,302
I thnk
I can't find the post now, but I swear somebody said that they just attached the new pads directly to the cup, without taking the old pads off the clip ring. No trimming of the Brainwavz either. Might be a way to temporarily try the mod without damaging anything.

Aha! Here it is.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #5,542 of 6,302
I thnk

I can't find the post now, but I swear somebody said that they just attached the new pads directly to the cup, without taking the old pads off the clip ring. No trimming of the Brainwavz either. Might be a way to temporarily try the mod without damaging anything.

Aha! Here it is.
Haha, you are funny. Of course you have to take off the original pads (inclusive the clip rings). You don’t need the clip rings, if you want to add the new Brainwavz pads EXCEPT as many times mentioned, if you want to have the exact same looks as the original pads, then you would have to take off the original pads from the clip rings and glue on the Brainwavz pads onto the clip rings.

May 9, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #5,543 of 6,302
I think we're on the same page...
1) Unclip clip ring/earpad from headphone. Leave this part intact for now.
2) Install Brainwavz pad directly to headphone, without clip ring.
3) Return or make more permanent as desired.
4) ????
5) Profit.

May 9, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #5,544 of 6,302
I'm guessing the non angled versions fit as well?

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sheepskin-Leather-Angled-Memory/dp/B01J53WTUQ

Oddly, in one of the description images, it states as "pleather" for the non angled version?

61R4kXutQgL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #5,545 of 6,302
May 9, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #5,546 of 6,302
Sure, the non angled version fits as well, but I would highly recommend you buy the angled version, because it increases not only soundstage but also the comfort, so your ears won’t touch the inner earcups.

This. I don't know how the non-angled versions might fit, but the angled fit great and there's no more touching.

May 9, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #5,547 of 6,302
Sure, the non angled version fits as well, but I would highly recommend you buy the angled version, because it increases not only soundstage but also the comfort, so your ears won’t touch the inner earcups.

This. I don't know how the non-angled versions might fit, but the angled fit great and there's no more touching.

Never worn angled headphones, how are these worn, angle facing back or front?

May 20, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #5,549 of 6,302
I've had the pm3s for a lil while now and I'm noticing on some tracks they sound very compressed and congested (out of my wm1a) se output.

But the same track sounding open and clear out my soundcard. Which is interesting does the pm3 scale up with more power?

May 20, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #5,550 of 6,302
Yeah, I've found they scale some. They don't seem to need much power, though. When I first got them, I used them straight out of a first gen. Fiio X5 and thought they sounded congested, like you said. Particularly on busier, more complex tracks with some bass. I got the Fiio E12A and it sounded much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back