1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions

First

Back
359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368
370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379
Next

Last
  1. Guppy_
    On the same boat as zensanjay,

What are some similar sounding headphones, with leather instead of pleather? or any other durable material for that matter.

2. noplsestar
    The Campfire Audio Cascade seems to tick those boxes, as long as you like some bass ...
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cascade-headphone-by-campfire-audio.871210/

alphanumerix1 likes this.
  3. noplsestar
  4. Guppy_

"The Cascade is discerning, flamboyant and engaging. Those searching for anything vaguely neutral will want to look away, they are clearly V-shaped with abundant sub-bass and vibrant treble. "

Hey thanks for your reply, I prefer neutral/analytical, so any recommendations in that area!

noplsestar likes this.
  5. megabigeye
    Sooo... Not to be that guy, but you just recommended a headphone that costs twice as much as the PM-3 and (at least according to those reviews) doesn't really sound similar. I get the feeling that the only reason they're both mentioned in the same review is because they're both portable planars and Oppo has closed their doors.

6. SDBiotek
    It's definitely more expensive, but the Mr. Speakers Aeon (closed back) is tuned more towards neutral.

7. Guppy_
    Well according to Mr. Speakers, those are "high grade" synthetic leather, so same boat as PM3 in regards to durability.

8. megabigeye
    I wouldn't assume that it suffers the same problems just because it's also synthetic. I don't know this as a certainty, but I'd imagine most headphones in the ~$400 range use synthetic leather.

9. Guppy_
    You are right, i'm gonna ask in the thread about that. but yeah, there are several sub $800 (even $400) that have real leather

10. noplsestar
    That’s why I said „if you want some bass“ :wink:

I didn’t want to recommend them, just wanted to share those reviews, if someone, as stated above, wanted a bit more bass and/or treble and greater soundstage, leather pads, better layering etc. It wasn’t the first time someone said on this thread that the PM3s sound boring (which I don’t find) so maybe for those the cascade is a phone to check out.

I don’t know if they are an upgrade worth the double amount of money, but at least they are portable, and I guess that’s why they were mentioned in the reviews :wink:
    The MrSpeakers Aeon Flow are also more expensive than the PM3s and you can’t fold them or wear in public (I mean you can, but it maybe looks a bit strange).

But if someone has another portable HP with the same SQ as the PM3‘s that are also portable/foldable and in the same price range, I would be more than happy for a recommondation!

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  11. Guppy_
    ooh the PM3s don't sound boring to me either! I love their sound, however, the pads quality, leaves much to be desired, hence why i'm looking elsewhere.

12. noplsestar
    Oh, if it’s only then pads, your problem is solved quite fast. Just order the Brainwavz angled sheep leather pads, they cost about 40 euros and are a great upgrade for the PM3s. Better soundstage. Better subbass and treble extension. Greater comfort! :)

BlueWindNoise likes this.
  13. Guppy_
    Aye, that solves the pads, but what about the headband?

Also, can the pads be replaced without heavy modding?

14. BlueWindNoise
    The mod is pretty simple. I was concerned at first but it didn't take long at all and was very straightforward. The original pads use clips to attach. The mod requires a bit of glue. I'm very happy I did mine. They're now more comfortable and they fit better. I don't think there's a guide, per se, but there are some details a few pages back in this thread.

15. Guppy_
    Ah the ones the require cutting the original pads and gluing these right to their base right?

First

Back
359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368
370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379
Next

Last