Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
May 7, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #5,521 of 6,302
On the same boat as zensanjay,

What are some similar sounding headphones, with leather instead of pleather? or any other durable material for that matter.
Hi,
I had bought an oppo pm3 2 yrs ago - May 2016. It sounds good with ipod 5th gen classic (video ipod). I recently bought cowon plenue p1. With oppo pm3 , some of the songs sound different on cowon plenue p1 compared to ipod. I noticed more details in sound on the cowon plenue p1. However, the bass sounds more muted.

I am using exact audio copy to create flac from audio cds, for cowon plenue p1. I am also using aac files created using Itunes. I also have problem with the headband and slight problem with earpads. The synthetic leather on underside of the headband has started cracking . I am disappointed that it happened in such a short time frame. There is very mild problem on the earpad. It looks like synthetic leather might not be very durable in tropical humid weather.
I contacted Oppo support and they said they would repair the headband for 99 USD and the earpad for 39.99 USD if I shipped them to US.
I would appreciate your feedback.

May 8, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #5,522 of 6,302
Hi,
I had bought an oppo pm3 2 yrs ago - May 2016. It sounds good with ipod 5th gen classic (video ipod). I recently bought cowon plenue p1. With oppo pm3 , some of the songs sound different on cowon plenue p1 compared to ipod. I noticed more details in sound on the cowon plenue p1. However, the bass sounds more muted.

I am using exact audio copy to create flac from audio cds, for cowon plenue p1. I am also using aac files created using Itunes. I also have problem with the headband and slight problem with earpads. The synthetic leather on underside of the headband has started cracking . I am disappointed that it happened in such a short time frame. There is very mild problem on the earpad. It looks like synthetic leather might not be very durable in tropical humid weather.
I contacted Oppo support and they said they would repair the headband for 99 USD and the earpad for 39.99 USD if I shipped them to US.
I would appreciate your feedback.

On the same boat as zensanjay,

What are some similar sounding headphones, with leather instead of pleather? or any other durable material for that matter.
The Campfire Audio Cascade seems to tick those boxes, as long as you like some bass ...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cascade-headphone-by-campfire-audio.871210/

May 8, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #5,524 of 6,302

"The Cascade is discerning, flamboyant and engaging. Those searching for anything vaguely neutral will want to look away, they are clearly V-shaped with abundant sub-bass and vibrant treble. "

Hey thanks for your reply, I prefer neutral/analytical, so any recommendations in that area!

May 8, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #5,525 of 6,302
Sooo... Not to be that guy, but you just recommended a headphone that costs twice as much as the PM-3 and (at least according to those reviews) doesn't really sound similar. I get the feeling that the only reason they're both mentioned in the same review is because they're both portable planars and Oppo has closed their doors.

May 8, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #5,528 of 6,302
Well according to Mr. Speakers, those are "high grade" synthetic leather, so same boat as PM3 in regards to durability.
I wouldn't assume that it suffers the same problems just because it's also synthetic. I don't know this as a certainty, but I'd imagine most headphones in the ~$400 range use synthetic leather.

May 8, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #5,530 of 6,302
"The Cascade is discerning, flamboyant and engaging. Those searching for anything vaguely neutral will want to look away, they are clearly V-shaped with abundant sub-bass and vibrant treble. "

Hey thanks for your reply, I prefer neutral/analytical, so any recommendations in that area!
That’s why I said „if you want some bass“ :wink:

Sooo... Not to be that guy, but you just recommended a headphone that costs twice as much as the PM-3 and (at least according to those reviews) doesn't really sound similar. I get the feeling that the only reason they're both mentioned in the same review is because they're both portable planars and Oppo has closed their doors.
I didn’t want to recommend them, just wanted to share those reviews, if someone, as stated above, wanted a bit more bass and/or treble and greater soundstage, leather pads, better layering etc. It wasn’t the first time someone said on this thread that the PM3s sound boring (which I don’t find) so maybe for those the cascade is a phone to check out.

I don’t know if they are an upgrade worth the double amount of money, but at least they are portable, and I guess that’s why they were mentioned in the reviews :wink:
The MrSpeakers Aeon Flow are also more expensive than the PM3s and you can’t fold them or wear in public (I mean you can, but it maybe looks a bit strange).

But if someone has another portable HP with the same SQ as the PM3‘s that are also portable/foldable and in the same price range, I would be more than happy for a recommondation!

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #5,531 of 6,302
That’s why I said „if you want some bass“ :wink:

I didn’t want to recommend them, just wanted to share those reviews, if someone, as stated above, wanted a bit more bass and/or treble and greater soundstage, leather pads, better layering etc. It wasn’t the first time someone said on this thread that the PM3s sound boring (which I don’t find) so maybe for those the cascade is a phone to check out.

I don’t know if they are an upgrade worth the double amount of money, but at least they are portable, and I guess that’s why they were mentioned in the reviews :wink:
The MrSpeakers Aeon Flow are also more expensive than the PM3s and you can’t fold them or wear in public (I mean you can, but it maybe looks a bit strange).

But if someone has another portable HP with the same SQ as the PM3‘s that are also portable/foldable and in the same price range, I would be more than happy for a recommondation!

ooh the PM3s don't sound boring to me either! I love their sound, however, the pads quality, leaves much to be desired, hence why i'm looking elsewhere.

May 8, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #5,532 of 6,302
ooh the PM3s don't sound boring to me either! I love their sound, however, the pads quality, leaves much to be desired, hence why i'm looking elsewhere.
Oh, if it’s only then pads, your problem is solved quite fast. Just order the Brainwavz angled sheep leather pads, they cost about 40 euros and are a great upgrade for the PM3s. Better soundstage. Better subbass and treble extension. Greater comfort! :)

May 8, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #5,533 of 6,302
Oh, if it’s only then pads, your problem is solved quite fast. Just order the Brainwavz angled sheep leather pads, they cost about 40 euros and are a great upgrade for the PM3s. Better soundstage. Better subbass and treble extension. Greater comfort! :)

Aye, that solves the pads, but what about the headband?

Also, can the pads be replaced without heavy modding?

May 8, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #5,534 of 6,302
Also, can the pads be replaced without heavy modding?

The mod is pretty simple. I was concerned at first but it didn't take long at all and was very straightforward. The original pads use clips to attach. The mod requires a bit of glue. I'm very happy I did mine. They're now more comfortable and they fit better. I don't think there's a guide, per se, but there are some details a few pages back in this thread.

May 8, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #5,535 of 6,302
The mod is pretty simple. I was concerned at first but it didn't take long at all and was very straightforward. The original pads use clips to attach. The mod requires a bit of glue. I'm very happy I did mine. They're now more comfortable and they fit better. I don't think there's a guide, per se, but there are some details a few pages back in this thread.

Ah the ones the require cutting the original pads and gluing these right to their base right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back