Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
May 29, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #4,261 of 6,302

Yeah, the Momentums are dynamic and meant for phones, so they have stupidly high sensitivity. The PM-3 sounds fantastic out of the iBasso DX80 DAP, I mean just uncanny good, so if you are alright with keeping a player as well as a phone, it's highly recommended, but I can understand people wanting something that plays all of the stuff on their phone, so you made the right choice for your usage.

I think it's just the phone thing. The PM-3 sounds really bad from a phone, closed in and bass anemic for sure. I have a DX80 as well as I mentioned above and it's just unreal how good the two go together. I think it sounds better than a lot of rigs that cost quite a bit more. It really gets my energy going. Usually when I'm on the go I miss my LCD-2 and Bifrost/Asgard 2, but the DX80 is like 90% of that rig.

Like someone above mentioned you need to get the Onkyo DP-X1, that is one bad ass DAP. I can not get enough of it with my Alclair CIEMs and yes it sounds awesome with the PM3s but the Micro/DX80 still sound better with the PM3s to me. These PM3s need a little more oomph to reach there potential which most smart phones are unable to do.

True, but if you go balanced the DP-X1 is more than enough quality power for the PM3, at least I think so. As you know I ran the PM3 balanced with the DP-X1 and it was an excellent pairing for sure. Still prefer he B&O H7, but they are different enough to be sure.

May 29, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #4,262 of 6,302
PM-3 balance on DP-X1 is fantastic. Hard to think of better bang for buck than this pair. Think about it, you can get the lot, including excellent PETERK 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRRS cable, for about US $1,100.

Listening Flume's Say It gives me goosebumps right now :) What a rig!

May 29, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #4,263 of 6,302
^ Agree, PETEREK did my PM3 balanced cable and it was excellent for sure. He just made another adapter for me for my TH 600 to connect with my speaker tap cable which terminates in a female 4 pin XLR. Awesome work as always from PETEREK.

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #4,264 of 6,302
New to this forum but participate in other communities.  I've posted in Sine thread, now posting here to get best of both but not cutting and pasting.  Sine & PM3 are my two fav's for taking  closed Planar plunge.   I've used Search Forum and read every word comparing.  I've tried some lower tier on-ear and around ear products and the only one I use is a pair of  refurb Sol Republic Air Tracks Wireless BT I got w/ Groupon for $38 (!).  After about 40 hours  I'd say it was a  deal.  Not perfect by any means, but haven't used my  Apple OEM iphone buds for listening since the Tracks came.   These are mostly to 'experiment' with the feeling of headphones and I'm enjoying it, but realizing what I'm not enjoying.

My home rig is driven by Klipsch and Yamaha reference and I've read some posters describe PM3 as "wall of sound." This is exactly how many would describe Klipsch sound.

So much already written re: PM3 vs Sine, but I think the only way to know is  audition both.  I'll plan to get  PM3s in hand before Sine.  Oppo's direct to consumer shippin w/ 30 day returns policy is reasonable.  NYC Apple stores  regularly  stocking SIne for  "same day' pick up, which means they have 'em in store - but Apple imposes a 14 day return policy.   I wouldn't have as long with those.

After "comfy" and "good fit'  there's  price - always a factor   I don't think I've seen many refurb Sine's floating around for a bargain.  There are definitely legit refurb PM3s.   The price of PM3 refurb is significantly less than new Sine.  Then again, adding an external DAC like the HA-2 to the PM3 aost more than a new Sine with DAC included in the cipher cable.  

If Apple does release iphone 7 with lightning only, who knows if Oppo would create their  version of an integrated lightning DAC/cable but I strongly favor PM3 one sided cabling.  Sine's double cabling is a bummer but maybe it's needed to get the performance.  

All that said - it's hard to know even after reading so much about it - which planar headphone will sound better for my usage, and MUST be comfortable enough to want to wear them.   

With the Sol Republics' I've realized what I've been missing  - and realize the potential to enjoy music while I"m 'on the go," a lot more than OEM ear buds.    

Down the road, I'm sure I'll be taking a look at a different set for plugging into my home stereo.  That's a different product entirely than my expectations with Sine or PM3.    I know I can experiment with that - but a home stereo pair really should be open back.  

So - my birthday is coming up this summer -  I think I'll be checking out both PM3 and Sine and deciding which one works best for me.  It's possible it will become obvious right away if one of them or both is really not comfortable at all.   I'll update if anyone's interested. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #4,265 of 6,302
Dont get me wrong i do love my OPPO PM3 very much.

But if we wanted to add some CONS to them, let me do the honors lol

Since its so closed, its 100% closed headphones sounding. In comparisons to say a Sony MDR-Z7 thats so 'open' even tho its closed there is a big difference its in sound. 

Also it may not be as relevant when listening to music however if you listen to the PM3 say with a movie or something thats more surround sound orientated then it doesnt perform well either. In saying that the mids are so glorious that some vocals are so realistic and close you will be shocked that the person isnt just there behind you lol

anyways just me 1c

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #4,266 of 6,302
Yes, and at times the PM3 can feel a little congested sounding due to the present mids, strong bass and rolled off treble. Still an amazing headphone and with the right amp/DAC it can really shine. I drove my PM3 (gone now) balanced from a DP-X1 and thought the combination was amazing.

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #4,267 of 6,302
I run my PM3 with the MOJO and feels congested but i ask for too much lol dont think it has to do with the DAC/AMP. Yes it will make it shine but it wont change the nature of what it is... ie closed headphones as an example. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #4,268 of 6,302
I will be going to Japan in two weeks, specifically to Tokyo..my first time there and I am looking to purchase the PM-3 over there..can't buy them over here even they are assembled in RP..anyone here have experience shopping for headphones in Japan..any specific store to look for?

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #4,269 of 6,302
  I will be going to Japan in two weeks, specifically to Tokyo..my first time there and I am looking to purchase the PM-3 over there..can't buy them over here even they are assembled in RP..anyone here have experience shopping for headphones in Japan..any specific store to look for?

e-earphone.jp

〒101-0021
東京都千代田区外神田4-6-7 カンダエイトビル4F

Kandaeito building 4F 4-6-7,
Sotokanda,Chiyoda-ku,TOKYO,101-0021 JAPAN

JR各線 秋葉原駅 電気街口より徒歩5分

地下鉄銀座線 末広町駅 1号出口より徒歩2分

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #4,270 of 6,302
  e-earphone.jp

〒101-0021
東京都千代田区外神田4-6-7 カンダエイトビル4F

Kandaeito building 4F 4-6-7,
Sotokanda,Chiyoda-ku,TOKYO,101-0021 JAPAN

JR各線 秋葉原駅 電気街口より徒歩5分

地下鉄銀座線 末広町駅 1号出口より徒歩2分

Thanks so much for the reply..I will check this out

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #4,271 of 6,302
This is good feedback thanks, I will NOT be using these much for my home stereo, and home stereo is how i watch movies. Ideally not looking to buy separate DAC or digital music player but if PM3s are super comfy and would sound significantly better I would consider separate DAC. Ideally if Sine with Cipher are super comfy, they won't need separate DAC. This pair needs to be "closed" because I'll be using them a good bit around other people. A refurb PM3 with refurb HA-2 would cost only slightly more than brand new Sine w/ Cipher. Hmmmmm. Have to wait for my Amex billing date to pass :nerd: before I go for it. Some people say PM3 does cover whole ear, some people say not quite, some people say clamping force of Sine is too uncomfortable, some say it's fine. The only way to know for sure is to try both.

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #4,272 of 6,302
You would think headphones in general need to be AMPed but thats not the case with the PM3s. For some reason they made them so well for portability. I dont mind running the PM3 direct from mobile device at all but if I used my JH IEM, those little IEM need so much punch that i hate listening to them with the MOJO lol.

Add the PM3 to something like the HTC 10 with a nice DAC/AMP relay and your good to go for portability. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #4,273 of 6,302
I've been using the Oppo PM-3 paired with the Cayin C5 amp. All I can say is that they work flawlessly together. 
Everything sounds three dimensional and smooth. The sound is much better than when plugged to my One Plus phone.

I feel I have found a Portable combo that works great on the road and also at work.

I highly recommend the PM-3 + Cayin C5 combo.

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #4,274 of 6,302
I run my PM3 with the MOJO and feels congested but i ask for too much lol dont think it has to do with the DAC/AMP. Yes it will make it shine but it wont change the nature of what it is... ie closed headphones as an example. 

I have had Mojo and I still have PM3 ... I do not like the pair, there is a kind of over presence on middle frequencies.

In order to improve signature it seems is better an high power amplifier ...oppo pm3 paired with 8 watt of audio gd amplification are reveling a surprising nature ... especially on scene and space

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #4,275 of 6,302
I have had Mojo and I still have PM3 ... I do not like the pair, there is a kind of over presence on middle frequencies.

In order to improve signature it seems is better an high power amplifier ...oppo pm3 paired with 8 watt of audio gd amplification are reveling a surprising nature ... especially on scene and space

Depends on the type of music and genre you listen to. I have no issues with PM3 + mojo using USB Audio PRO via Android with EQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back