Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
May 22, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #4,246 of 6,313
Got my PM-3's a few days ago... first day I've spent a little time comparing to my Fostex T50RP MK3 headphones. 

The Oppo's are definitely easier to drive, but SQ is very similar to my ears; the PM-3 sounds slightly more closed in, but that makes sense since they are completely closed while the T50RP MK3 are damped, semi-open headphones.  Also, the PM-3 sound to me to have slightly more rolled off highs than the T50RP MK3, so a smoother, less fatiguing sound.  

Very happy with the PM-3... while the PM-3's cost me over twice as much (I paid $145 for the T50RP MK3 and $320 for manufacturer-refurb PM-3), they are well worth it for the better comfort, smoother sound (though sometimes I actually like the sharper sound of the T50RP MK3), and the PM-3's are much better looking headphones, and can be driven directly from my iPhone 6s Plus much better than the T50RP MK3.

May 22, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #4,247 of 6,313
  I wear glasses normally with the pm3 and have no issue with lack of bass. I guess it depends on the glasses?

Maybe, mine aren't exactly thin, nor are they overly thick. I notice it immediately in the sub bass, I lose rumble and impact. Either way they still sound really good!

May 23, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #4,248 of 6,313
 You'll just have to get a new head it seems.
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Zeljko /img/forum/go_quote.gif   Or shrink the current. It's possible, I saw it comics
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Sonic Defender /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes, I think that is also a good approach 
biggrin.gif

Haha. I could say in something about the Zika Virus, but that's probably too soon. :D

May 23, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #4,249 of 6,313
  Haha. I could say in something about the Zika Virus, but that's probably too soon. :D

Nah, it's never too soon. If we can't take the edge of nasty things with humour it removes too much from our arsenal.

May 25, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #4,250 of 6,313
I just finished up a week with a set of PM-3 from the loaner program. I was very impressed with them. Build quality appears great. I like the carrying case and size,makes them easy to carry around and use everyday and keep them safe. Although the long cord had to be removed to fit in the case. Fit was pretty good a bit too much head pressure for me and I have a smaller head. I could still wear them for 2-3 hours at a time before I got tired though. Isolation was excellent, so great for work, and commuting on the bus/train. Sound wise I found them quite neutral, clear and crisp. I used them primarily with my Oppo Ha-2 and my iPhone 6s streaming tidal, high res from the phone via the Onkyo player and watching Netflix. Bass was adequate, mids were very nice and highs detailed without being harsh. I did not want for anything else. Probably the best headphone I have used to date (not that I have owned that many headphones , couple of Sennheisers) with the exception of my Dads old Koss electrostatics, but the Oppos have better bass.
I could easily be happy with a pair of PM-3 for a long time, assuming I never tried any higher end headphones.

May 26, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #4,251 of 6,313
Popped into Selfridges on Oxford Street on my way home from work this evening. They have the PM3s for demo so I gave them a spin. Not bad all round - lovely quality build, very comfy on the old noggin. And the sound is very neutral, nothing glaringly wrong. But I just felt they were a bit boring and flat sounding and the soundstage quite small.

Based on my admittedly short time with them I don't really think they justify the premium price. Certainly I was much more taken by the Momentum 2 over ears - so much so I have decided to buy a pair of those.

May 26, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #4,252 of 6,313
Popped into Selfridges on Oxford Street on my way home from work this evening. They have the PM3s for demo so I gave them a spin. Not bad all round - lovely quality build, very comfy on the old noggin. And the sound is very neutral, nothing glaringly wrong. But I just felt they were a bit boring and flat sounding and the soundstage quite small.

Based on my admittedly short time with them I don't really think they justify the premium price. Certainly I was much more taken by the Momentum 2 over ears - so much so I have decided to buy a pair of those.

What were they amped with? That's how the PM-3 sounds to me when played through a phone, but if you put a great amp on them, the soundstage is surprisingly big for a closed back, and the boring sound livens up significantly for me.

May 26, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #4,253 of 6,313
  What were they amped with? That's how the PM-3 sounds to me when played through a phone, but if you put a great amp on them, the soundstage is surprisingly big for a closed back, and the boring sound livens up significantly for me.

Thats because the other person prefers more bass to make it "fun", fun gets old fast and listening to music the way it was intended sounds better like my PM3s paired with a iBasso DX80/iFi DSD Micro.

May 27, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #4,254 of 6,313
Thats because the other person prefers more bass to make it "fun", fun gets old fast and listening to music the way it was intended sounds better like my PM3s paired with a iBasso DX80/iFi DSD Micro.

Sounds like you are not a fan of having fun when listening to music, lol.

It's nothing to do with wanting more bass - I actually just returned a pair of Sony MDR-1a because they were too bass heavy.

No, the PM3s seemed to lack a bit of sparkle up top, as well as air. Didn't sound quite right to my ears.

And to answer the amped question - I was just using my HTC phone to play them through. Why?Because they are portable headphones and I don't think I should have to add extra weight not to mention expense just to get a portable headphone sounding better. I am a big believer in plug and play.

So while I can see the PM3s are a quality product, for me they lose out next to the Momentums, which in my view look better and crucially sound better direct from my phone. And they are less brutal to my wallet too - especially with £50 off RRP as is currently the case - so £220 vs £350, a difference not to be sniffed at.

May 27, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #4,255 of 6,313
And to answer the amped question - I was just using my HTC phone to play them through. Why?Because they are portable headphones and I don't think I should have to add extra weight not to mention expense just to get a portable headphone sounding better. I am a big believer in plug and play.

So while I can see the PM3s are a quality product, for me they lose out next to the Momentums, which in my view look better and crucially sound better direct from my phone. And they are less brutal to my wallet too - especially with £50 off RRP as is currently the case - so £220 vs £350, a difference not to be sniffed at.

Yeah, the Momentums are dynamic and meant for phones, so they have stupidly high sensitivity. The PM-3 sounds fantastic out of the iBasso DX80 DAP, I mean just uncanny good, so if you are alright with keeping a player as well as a phone, it's highly recommended, but I can understand people wanting something that plays all of the stuff on their phone, so you made the right choice for your usage.

I think it's just the phone thing. The PM-3 sounds really bad from a phone, closed in and bass anemic for sure. I have a DX80 as well as I mentioned above and it's just unreal how good the two go together. I think it sounds better than a lot of rigs that cost quite a bit more. It really gets my energy going. Usually when I'm on the go I miss my LCD-2 and Bifrost/Asgard 2, but the DX80 is like 90% of that rig.

May 27, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #4,256 of 6,313

I agree.

Phone alone they sound nice, but when on the HA-2 they come alive. Still, I think they sound quite good on a phone. But I am listening to DSD and 96-24 FLAC down converted.

May 27, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #4,258 of 6,313
  PM-3s sound great with Onkyo DP-X1 and with the Mojo they're a beast as you can pump tha base up as much as you like. With my Nexus 6P they're just meh...

I wanted the DP-X1 but couldn't bring myself to spend that much. Hoping for a phone to do it all someday. Wishful thinking ?  :)

Plus, the HA-2 was so cheap refurbished, hard to not buy the Oppo.

That DP-X1 has me drooling though.

May 27, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #4,259 of 6,313

I wanted the DP-X1 but couldn't bring myself to spend that much. Hoping for a phone to do it all someday. Wishful thinking ?  :)

HTC is releasing a phone with a real headphone amp in it, apparently. We'll see how much power it has and how it sounds soon. 

There's also that new LG phone with the removable bottom thing and they have a DAC/amp option for that, but apparently the build quality of the phone is rather bad.

May 27, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #4,260 of 6,313

Yeah, the Momentums are dynamic and meant for phones, so they have stupidly high sensitivity. The PM-3 sounds fantastic out of the iBasso DX80 DAP, I mean just uncanny good, so if you are alright with keeping a player as well as a phone, it's highly recommended, but I can understand people wanting something that plays all of the stuff on their phone, so you made the right choice for your usage.

I think it's just the phone thing. The PM-3 sounds really bad from a phone, closed in and bass anemic for sure. I have a DX80 as well as I mentioned above and it's just unreal how good the two go together. I think it sounds better than a lot of rigs that cost quite a bit more. It really gets my energy going. Usually when I'm on the go I miss my LCD-2 and Bifrost/Asgard 2, but the DX80 is like 90% of that rig.

Like someone above mentioned you need to get the Onkyo DP-X1, that is one bad ass DAP. I can not get enough of it with my Alclair CIEMs and yes it sounds awesome with the PM3s but the Micro/DX80 still sound better with the PM3s to me. These PM3s need a little more oomph to reach there potential which most smart phones are unable to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back