Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jun 3, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #4,277 of 6,313
Depends on the type of music and genre you listen to. I have no issues with PM3 + mojo using USB Audio PRO via Android with EQ

... I spend 600 eur of pm3 ..the same for the mojo and some other for transport ...result use an equalizer to make them sounding well ... mmm . Do you think something is odd ?

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #4,278 of 6,313
... I spend 600 eur of pm3 ..the same for the mojo and some other for transport ...result use an equalizer to make them sounding well ... mmm . Do you think something is odd ?

Depends how you see it and what your purpose is. You can give me a STAX system and i would still use the EQ depending on the sound i want. Nearly all tracks are remastered differently anyways these days. 

Only thing i cant give my opinion on is classical as i dont do classical. I could use another DAC/AMP again and it may sound wonderful without EQ but i would run into tracks i would EQ that i wouldnt.

Then you have users who every song sounds amazing on one type of setup which well doesnt make too much sense in my perspective. Overall PM3 and MOJO isnt bad for a portable setup and you have EQ if you need to tweak certain tracks to my ears. 

Dont get me wrong you have your opinion and i get it! MOJO just doesnt work for your ears at all for most tracks and you should stay away from it. 

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #4,279 of 6,313
I see for some audience here I would be in a kind of wrong way...

I have replaced mojo with dx 80 ... more neutral ...Less stuff to bring and, mainly more power.

I found PM3 really sensible to presence of watts (the Grado for instance they are not) and I found also oppo really sensible with cabling.. unfortunately these are really difficult to rewire internally

When I speak about 8000 milli watt amplification is not of a portable amping I refers to and oppo gains in scene size (the oppo dark side I would say)

In all these case I never use the EQ regardless we are speaking of vocal jazz, electronic classical or jazz

It is a countersense with me ... It's a way to "force" ... especially with headphone

EQ is on my opinion something to adapt sounding system to the environment: we would have sound differencies between rooms becouse of sound reflection, in absolute I do not use EQ to make tracks better sounding and since linked with environmental issues EQ is a non sense with headphones

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #4,281 of 6,313
There is no distribution in Europe .. of those stuff .. i really hate buy something that in case of issues needs 1 month shipment go and back... I would say we are unlucky to have no distribution for some of the stuff ... but I have had the oppo with ak100 not bad at all

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #4,282 of 6,313
Just arrived. Burning in. Anyone notice much change with burn in? If I don't like cans before burn in, I don't like them after. If they are good, they can improve. Detail is incredible. I'm sensitive to highs, they are just slightly bright to me, any less of that reported "roll off" would be too much. Mids are full, yet no ringing resonance. The low mids are flat and perfect as is mid bass, aside from a small bump. Sub bass is definitely there, and extends well, just not quite loud enough. Ideally, that would be 2 db higher at 20 hz.

Fit is good. Despite being portable, on a little wider than average and a lot longer than average head, they reach. That's always the biggest issue for me (how much the cups extend). A bit of clamp, but I'm able to flex them to ease that. The pads are deep enough so my ears barely or rarely touch and fit top to bottom. Padding is narrow, meaning it puts pressure on a narrow area. If they were thicker (not depth) there would be a better spreading of pressure. It would also improve the seal and isolation. More on these later.

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #4,283 of 6,313
I see for some audience here I would be in a kind of wrong way...

I have replaced mojo with dx 80 ... more neutral ...Less stuff to bring and, mainly more power.

I found PM3 really sensible to presence of watts (the Grado for instance they are not) and I found also oppo really sensible with cabling.. unfortunately these are really difficult to rewire internally

When I speak about 8000 milli watt amplification is not of a portable amping I refers to and oppo gains in scene size (the oppo dark side I would say)

In all these case I never use the EQ regardless we are speaking of vocal jazz, electronic classical or jazz

It is a countersense with me ... It's a way to "force" ... especially with headphone

EQ is on my opinion something to adapt sounding system to the environment: we would have sound differencies between rooms becouse of sound reflection, in absolute I do not use EQ to make tracks better sounding and since linked with environmental issues EQ is a non sense with headphones

Fantastic stuff. I have the DX80 and PM-3 and it is one of the best combos I've heard, they just love each other. The power of the DX80 is phenomenal and I love the sound. I upgraded to a Forza AudioWorks Noir cable and it still sounds just as great, but now it looks even cooler. I love the combo so much that I even too my Bifrost Multibit and Asgard 2 back home to use as my desktop rig, which actually gets less use than my work rig, but I'm in a loud office so it doesn't really matter. I'm just so happy with the combo.

I had looked at the Mojo for a long time, but eventually found it to be too expensive and impractical for what I need a portable rig for. Amazing to hear that the DX80 outperforms it.

I also haven't used EQ once on my DX80, and I don't use it on my desktop rig either. I use room correction on my speakers, that's it. Couldn't agree with your post more. Enjoy the fantastic sound!

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #4,284 of 6,313
  Just arrived. Burning in. Anyone notice much change with burn in? If I don't like cans before burn in, I don't like them after. If they are good, they can improve. Detail is incredible. I'm sensitive to highs, they are just slightly bright to me, any less of that reported "roll off" would be too much. Mids are full, yet no ringing resonance. The low mids are flat and perfect as is mid bass, aside from a small bump. Sub bass is definitely there, and extends well, just not quite loud enough. Ideally, that would be 2 db higher at 20 hz.

Fit is good. Despite being portable, on a little wider than average and a lot longer than average head, they reach. That's always the biggest issue for me (how much the cups extend). A bit of clamp, but I'm able to flex them to ease that. The pads are deep enough so my ears barely or rarely touch and fit top to bottom. Padding is narrow, meaning it puts pressure on a narrow area. If they were thicker (not depth) there would be a better spreading of pressure. It would also improve the seal and isolation. More on these later.

The description of 'fit' here is the best I've read in the thread.    I'm tall and have a somewhat 'long & slim' facial profile.    It's interesting that there are so many different opinions about using the PM3s with/without separate DAC.   The PM3s are supposed to be 'portable' .... and to me that means only using my iphone as music source.  $600 for a Mojo or $1,000 for a separate digital music player is a bit much for me.  

Jun 3, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #4,285 of 6,313
I have a HA-2, but the PM-3 sound great on my Ipod Touch 5th Gen and Samsung s4.

Volume is plenty loud too. If mastered quiet, a player like the Hiby app has a AMP volume lever. Gets quite loud enough.

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #4,286 of 6,313

The description of 'fit' here is the best I've read in the thread.    I'm tall and have a somewhat 'long & slim' facial profile.    It's interesting that there are so many different opinions about using the PM3s with/without separate DAC.   The PM3s are supposed to be 'portable' .... and to me that means only using my iphone as music source.  $600 for a Mojo or $1,000 for a separate digital music player is a bit much for me.  

I agree, for the smallish gains, the extra expense and bulk of adding the Mojo or an amp is worth thinking about as a quickly reached diminishing returns, certainly for on the go use which is how I think of "portable". I liked the PM3 well enough from my Blackberry Leap. It had a little less power than needed for quiet masters from say the 70s or 80s, but for contemporary material it was fine.

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #4,287 of 6,313
Amplification is not essential. I enjoy my PM3s straight out of my iPad. 50% volume is loud enough. SQ is very enjoyable. Listening to Tidal HiFi (Jazz and acoustic music mostly).

Albeit, driven by my CEntrance M8, at high gain, the PM3s improve in bass taughtness, and midrange clarity. I am also able to play with the EQ settings on the M8, when a particular track needs a bit more treble, or a bass boost.

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #4,289 of 6,313
I was around 60-70% from Iphone 6

Amplification is not essential. I enjoy my PM3s straight out of my iPad. 50% volume is loud enough. SQ is very enjoyable. Listening to Tidal HiFi (Jazz and acoustic music mostly).

Albeit, driven by my CEntrance M8, at high gain, the PM3s improve in bass taughtness, and midrange clarity. I am also able to play with the EQ settings on the M8, when a particular track needs a bit more treble, or a bass boost.

Appreciate detailed specificity in feedback. There are SO many amp/DAC choices it's a bit overload (bad pun). "Portable" should mean portable. If I'm curious there are plenty of budget friendly amp/DAC I could experiment with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back