Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jun 4, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #4,291 of 6,313
Dragonfly Black is on my short list of <$100 DAC/amp returnable without restocking fee.. I'm hoping to gym with PM3s, being my own workout DJ measurably improves results for me. I realize DF black is small but w/ CCK bunched up in the mix it's two more "pieces" than just iPhone alone.

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #4,292 of 6,313
Dragonfly Black is on my short list of <$100 DAC/amp returnable without restocking fee.. I'm hoping to gym with PM3s, being my own workout DJ measurably improves results for me. I realize DF black is small but w/ CCK bunched up in the mix it's two more "pieces" than just iPhone alone.

You are going to wear full sized headphones like the PM3 in the gym? Man you are going to get hot and sweaty like that my friend. Why not just get a IEM for the gym?

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #4,293 of 6,313
With IEMs unfortunately I have the "bone conduction" / microphonics issue. Every step I take a get a thump thump in my ear. It's distracting. It seems like other posters say they gym with these. I would be in air conditioning, not run or do cardio only strength training.

But you raise a point. Summer in NYC gets pretty hot. If these are portable, I'd expect to walk, subway, and be out and about - in summer - when it's really hot. Problem ?

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #4,294 of 6,313
With IEMs unfortunately I have the "bone conduction" / microphonics issue. Every step I take a get a thump thump in my ear. It's distracting. It seems like other posters say they gym with these. I would be in air conditioning, not run or do cardio only strength training.

But you raise a point. Summer in NYC gets pretty hot. If these are portable, I'd expect to walk, subway, and be out and about - in summer - when it's really hot. Problem ?

Absolutely it will be a problem in the summer humidity and heat. Ottawa is actually very hot and humid like NYC and I could not wear the PM3 outside, not a chance. My grandfather was from NYC, never took his Canadian citizenship and died a US citizen. He loved to tell me stories about NYC in the 40s.

I would also think the PM3 really awkward to wear in the gym. I go to a university gym and see all the young guys walking around sweating (and looking pretty goofy) with full sized headphones. Not that you asked, but I just think full sized headphones in a gym don't really work well and they make you stand out. Maybe that is good?

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #4,295 of 6,313

I wouldn't sweat with the PM3 as the pads will get stinky in no time. The Shure SE215 are great for the gym, they go behind your ear so less microphonics. I use the DX90/SE215 as my gym rig.

Jun 4, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #4,296 of 6,313
Yeah I walk to work with my PM-3s and now that it's getting hotter and more humid here, I'll sometimes spring for IEMs. They aren't bad for a quick walk like mine but they do get noticeably warm in just 10 minutes.

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #4,297 of 6,313
I have a dog, and our walk time is some of my favorite listening time. Hmm. These are suddenly sounding way less "portable". This is why trying them out in "real world" applications is important. I think I will not be the only guy on the subway with big cans coming home from the store.

Off topic but It is interesting to read very divergent opinions about burn in. And I'm curious where people stand on PM3 burn in.

For the short term future these $38 refurb Sol Republic Tracks Air BT Wireless on-ear pleasantly exceeding expectations about 40 hours they have changed. The have warmed up. The way stereo arrangements make use of left & right channels is more obvious and makes me smile. It's unexpected and I REALLY like that. Fleetwood Mac Rumours is my favorite new audio toy album. The whole album. The vocals, guitar, drum, and keyboard runs are all genius. After some burn in, these humble Sol Republic headphones have more detail, every song feels like it has more air. Breath sounds. The tapering off and shimmering of a cymbal to the very last tremor. That driving bass line doesn't have to be loud to be infectious and induce toe tapping. They are also more physically comfortable than out of the box but never exactly feeling like they're not there. They aren't exactly "small". The iOS integration is very good. My profile doesn't show yet but I've tried other stuff as well. Wasn't wowed.

I am eager to do a try out of these and Sines, side to side. Have to wait until next week but can't wait.

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #4,298 of 6,313
I have a dog, and our walk time is some of my favorite listening time. Hmm. These are suddenly sounding way less "portable". This is why trying them out in "real world" applications is important. I think I will not be the only guy on the subway with big cans coming home from the store.

Off topic but It is interesting to read very divergent opinions about burn in. And I'm curious where people stand on PM3 burn in.

For the short term future these $38 refurb Sol Republic Tracks Air BT Wireless on-ear pleasantly exceeding expectations about 40 hours they have changed. The have warmed up. The way stereo arrangements make use of left & right channels is more obvious and makes me smile. It's unexpected and I REALLY like that. Fleetwood Mac Rumours is my favorite new audio toy album. The whole album. The vocals, guitar, drum, and keyboard runs are all genius. After some burn in, these humble Sol Republic headphones have more detail, every song feels like it has more air. Breath sounds. The tapering off and shimmering of a cymbal to the very last tremor. That driving bass line doesn't have to be loud to be infectious and induce toe tapping. They are also more physically comfortable than out of the box but never exactly feeling like they're not there. They aren't exactly "small". The iOS integration is very good. My profile doesn't show yet but I've tried other stuff as well. Wasn't wowed.

I am eager to do a try out of these and Sines, side to side. Have to wait until next week but can't wait.

They will be great as portables for walking the dog and walking around just not vigorous activities like gym use as the pads will get stank smell after sweating profusely time and time again.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #4,299 of 6,313
Half of my gym is wearing full size Beats headphones- But what i meant with my comment was regarding the dragonfly black. Lol I use westone 4r. As far as looks at the gym nobody gets any looks when they wear beats so i dont think thats an issue.

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #4,300 of 6,313
Half of my gym is wearing full size Beats headphones- But what i meant with my comment was regarding the dragonfly black. Lol I use westone 4r. As far as looks at the gym nobody gets any looks when they wear beats so i dont think thats an issue.

Getting looks is one thing (frankly young guys wearing big headphones in the gym is kind of cliché) but really they are so impractical in a gym. I have been working out since the 90s and have never been able to find practical headphones for the gym. This is just me, but I suck it up and just listen to the music playing through the gym system. I wonder why young guys wear big headphones in the gym as they certainly are not by any objective measure practical. I can only assume that by doing what all the other guys are doing they think they stand out .....

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #4,301 of 6,313
I wouldn't sweat with the PM3 as the pads will get stinky in no time. The Shure SE215 are great for the gym, they go behind your ear so less microphonics. I use the DX90/SE215 as my gym rig.

I've checked out the SE215 and there seem to be quality control issues, some suggest the angle at which cable attaches to monitor is not well designed. Some very angry reviews ....about paying premium price for not premium quality.

I've also checked out entry level westone and same darn thing. Very angry reviews about same issue - where cable meets monitor doesn't last. I understand this isn't an IEM thread but any comments / suggestions? I see so many people walking around with full size beats .....I am wondering now about using PM3s while walking around and just vastly different replies about yes/no. For another issue it seems return policies can be more rigorous for IEM, that's understandable - I wouldn't want an IEM that was in someone else's ear either. So I need to be sure (bad pun) about 215s.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #4,302 of 6,313
For walking around and commuting Thats what the PM-3 were designed for. They are portable headphones after all. So i would not worry about using them when out in town. Cable is replaceable and pads are replaceable so no worries there. For gym well thats another story but still it is not that crazy I would do some extra cleaning after work out. As far as Iem for the gym i have 215 which you can find used for 50-60 dolllars. i will sell you mine if you are interested. I also use westone 4r. So its all about choice some people hate IEMs.

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #4,303 of 6,313
Hell, for the gym get a good on-ear Bluetooth headphone like the XTZ Divine. Sounds stunning, light, not bulky, very comfortable for an on-ear and under $200. Hard to beat that. The Purosound is another solid, affordable gym option.

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #4,304 of 6,313
I've checked out the SE215 and there seem to be quality control issues, some suggest the angle at which cable attaches to monitor is not well designed. Some very angry reviews ....about paying premium price for not premium quality.

I've also checked out entry level westone and same darn thing. Very angry reviews about same issue - where cable meets monitor doesn't last. I understand this isn't an IEM thread but any comments / suggestions? I see so many people walking around with full size beats .....I am wondering now about using PM3s while walking around and just vastly different replies about yes/no. For another issue it seems return policies can be more rigorous for IEM, that's understandable - I wouldn't want an IEM that was in someone else's ear either. So I need to be sure (bad pun) about 215s.

There is always a few in the bunch. For under a 100 bucks they are great! I've had mine at least 5 years or so, maybe longer (its been that long) and I have sweet profusely with them and they still sound great for what there are, there no where near my Alclair CIEMs but good for what they are.
Buy them on Amazon, or Guitar center has them if you don't like them, return them, I would have to venture that you will like them especially with a brighter DAC/Source. As for the connection, main thing is to leave them connected, usually the failure is from pulling them apart a lot and or not lining them up with pulling apart or reconnecting them, there is a dot to line up.

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #4,305 of 6,313
I checked out  XTZ Divine,  appreciate info.  Divine seems new-ish to market, great sound, but fit / comfort issues.  Most of the reviews said great product, great sound for a debut product, but comfort and 'fit" requires most users posting reviews to bend the headband at the top to get a good seal.  As I PM'd another member, I didn't think it possible; but there are more contradictory opinions about headphones than floor standing speakers in the AV forum(s).   I'm still too much a noob for Head-Fi to show my profile info; but reference Klipsch/Yamaha with at least 1000 hours anchor my home rig.   Maybe what I'm looking for in a nicer set of PORTABLE headphones, without separate DAC/amp, without $500+ music player, without separate anything, to use on even the hottest dog days of NYC summer, doesn't exist.  What I'm looking for in a portable set of headphones is what  Klipsch folks describe as a pure "wall of sound" signature.    By that, I mean put on Pink Floyd's "The Wall" album (vinyl), switch to only my RF-7ii mains, no sub, turn off  Yammie's DSP, and that is the "The Wall"  with a "Wall of Sound" signature that makes the hair on my arm stand up.  

Yes, I have tried Klipsch IEMs, they were awful. 

So after my Amex card billing/ closing date this month,  I think this headphone noob will be doing a comparison of 3 different (returnable) headphones;  the PM3s, the Sines (w/cipher), and a set of IEMs like the RHA MA750 .  RHA by default, because it seems to be the only IEM manufacturer offering a 3 year warranty, and that says something.

Hell, for the gym get a good on-ear Bluetooth headphone like the XTZ Divine. Sounds stunning, light, not bulky, very comfortable for an on-ear and under $200. Hard to beat that. The Purosound is another solid, affordable gym option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back