Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #3,677 of 3,729
Hello guys,

I m looking for a magnetic plannars. And came across PM1/2 and Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed.

Have few questions:

1. How much differ PM1 and PM2?
2. How Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed compares againts PM1/2?

My Source is Mscaler + Hugo2.

Thank you.

Nov 25, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #3,678 of 3,729
Hello guys,

I m looking for a magnetic plannars. And came across PM1/2 and Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed.

Have few questions:

1. How much differ PM1 and PM2?
2. How Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed compares againts PM1/2?

My Source is Mscaler + Hugo2.

Thank you.

I can only speak for Question 1:

My friends PM1 sounded exactly the same as my PM2 - according to Oppo it's only comsetic differences. The PM-2 is a great looking headphone but the PM-1 looks even more refined and luxurious.

Nov 25, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #3,679 of 3,729
I can only speak for Question 1:

My friends PM1 sounded exactly the same as my PM2 - according to Oppo it's only comsetic differences. The PM-2 is a great looking headphone but the PM-1 looks even more refined and luxurious.
Thanks.
Also they are described as semi open. But how in reallity they let sound out from back to environment? Like a open back or somewhere in between closed and full open? Thanks.

Nov 25, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #3,681 of 3,729
Thanks.
Also they are described as semi open. But how in reallity they let sound out from back to environment? Like a open back or somewhere in between closed and full open? Thanks.

To use your words: so where between closed and open backs. They are certainly not leaking als much as fully open ones - you will hear outside sounds but a bit damped and likewise people around you will hear what you are listening to but more faint than with fully open ones. Just took them out and gave them a small spin and they still are a great set of cans that I wish I would use more and wish they would still produce - such a great headphone. I have the PM2 and PM3.

Cheers.

Nov 25, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #3,682 of 3,729
To use your words: so where between closed and open backs. They are certainly not leaking als much as fully open ones - you will hear outside sounds but a bit damped and likewise people around you will hear what you are listening to but more faint than with fully open ones. Just took them out and gave them a small spin and they still are a great set of cans that I wish I would use more and wish they would still produce - such a great headphone. I have the PM2 and PM3.

Cheers.
Thanks.

I read here that PM1/2 scales nicely with better sources. This is why i want to use with chord electronics. And afcourse the price is good as they are old. 599eur at the moment at local dealer.

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #3,683 of 3,729
Quick question (without searching I admit). Does the PM-1 headband wear like the PM-2 and PM-3, which are faux leather I know, unlike the PM-1, but flake abysmally and are of poor quality.

I am thinking after 2-3 years use ... as I have PM-2 and PM-3. Sound great, headband not so ... and, in case of PM-3, ear pads too.

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #3,684 of 3,729
Quick question (without searching I admit). Does the PM-1 headband wear like the PM-2 and PM-3, which are faux leather I know, unlike the PM-1, but flake abysmally and are of poor quality.

I am thinking after 2-3 years use ... as I have PM-2 and PM-3. Sound great, headband not so ... and, in case of PM-3, ear pads too.
Had my PM1 around 4 years and the headband still looks new. No flaking at all.

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #3,685 of 3,729
Same here. Had mine for 5 and not a flake to be seen, however, I have the PM3 also and it’s not a pretty picture. The headband is slightly flaking on the bottom side but I had to get replacement ear pads because they were just in horrible condition due to the faux leather.
The PM1’s are genuine leather so you may eventually get some wear but it will never be as bad as the PM3.

Apr 22, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #3,686 of 3,729
Same here. Had mine for 5 and not a flake to be seen, however, I have the PM3 also and it’s not a pretty picture. The headband is slightly flaking on the bottom side but I had to get replacement ear pads because they were just in horrible condition due to the faux leather.
The PM1’s are genuine leather so you may eventually get some wear but it will never be as bad as the PM3.
Ditto. If your pm3 start to shed, just get in contact with Oppo service and for $99.00 they will replace the head band and ear cups. My3's look brand new. My PM1's on the other hand still look like new after 5 years.

Apr 22, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #3,687 of 3,729
Ditto. If your pm3 start to shed, just get in contact with Oppo service and for $99.00 they will replace the head band and ear cups. My3's look brand new. My PM1's on the other hand still look like new after 5 years.
Oppo is still servicing the headphones? I thought they don’t exist anymore. Will they do ear pads?

Apr 22, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #3,689 of 3,729
Yes. At least they were last year. They are honoring all warranties and out of warranty service. Better check their web site for sure.
Wow! Talk about a graceful exit out of the audio/video market. Who even does, or has ever done what Oppo has, years after their departure from the market? Props to Oppo for honoring their products after years of service! 👍🏽🙏🏽

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #3,690 of 3,729
Well, I have bought a near mint pair of PM-1's to replace my PM-2's ... which look like a car crash due to the faux leather flaking off on the headband ....

I was expecting the sound of the 'new' PM-1's to be exactly like my PM-2's but it isn't !
Both have the 'alternative' leather earpads (as I bought a pair for the PM-2's some years ago) ... yet the PM-1's seem noticeably clearer than the older PM-2's !

More definition and tightness, clearer treble ... yet the should be the same ! The basic 'signature' is there but definitely cleaner, clearer on the PM-1.

Now, I bought the PM-2's in 2015 so they are 6 years old and well used. The seller indicated he originally bought the PM-1's were from 2018 .... did Oppo make any subtle changes in that time perhaps, or is this just down to the tiny differences between 2 pairs you may get ??

To me the PM-1 is a better sound, cleaner but still relaxed and listenable for hours on end.

***Edited to add I have listened straight away / back to back as both pairs can be plugged into my Chord TT2 at the same time***

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back