Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #2,896 of 3,729
New earpads for the PM-1/PM-2 ?
http://www.vanityears.com/julymeet/Meet.html

The reviewer asserts that the new PM-1|2 pads improve the Oppos's sound to bring them almost on par with the "better" LCD-2's sound.
IMHO the PM-1--with original issue pads--are already a level beyond the LCD-2, so the new pads should widen the gap [of the PM-1's superiority] even further.
Haven't missed my LCD-2.2 in years!
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #2,897 of 3,729
The reviewer asserts that the new PM-1|2 pads improve the Oppos's sound to bring them almost on par with the "better" LCD-2's sound.
IMHO the PM-1--with original issue pads--are already a level beyond the LCD-2, so the new pads should widen the gap [of the PM-1's superiority] even further.
:wink:  

X2 :wink:

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #2,898 of 3,729
wink.gif

Maybe all you've heard were bad LCD2s.

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #2,899 of 3,729
I don't usually post as mush as I should, But I enjoying reading everyone post! Just loving my pm-1,with jazz and blues and classis rock,Listening to Sam Smith and Hugh Laurie sounds amazing on these awsome cans! Just wanted to share my joy.
Mike

Here's to the Oppo PM-1!
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #2,901 of 3,729
Trying this out via iPhone 5s>Onkyo app>CCK>HA-1>PM-1. Seems nice...

Just wondering why you're using the CCK when the stock lightning to USB cable works just as well.

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #2,903 of 3,729
I have some 24/96 tunes. CCK plays at 24/96. Front input at 48/16.

Didn't know that. Thanks.

I figured the 5s was only up to 48/16, so it must be the Onkyo app that plays the high rez, correct?

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #2,905 of 3,729
  Apparently so, I wonder when they will start  selling them. From what I read in the thread you linked the new pads seem to be miles better when it comes too sound. Might pick up the PM-2 with them in the future. I didn't really like the PM-1 atleast not for the money.

We hope to have the alternative pads available for the PM-1 around the same time as the PM-2 release.

If money if your primary motivator, then the PM-2 is an excellent choice and our recommendation.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #2,906 of 3,729

We hope to have the alternative pads available for the PM-1 around the same time as the PM-2 release.

If money if your primary motivator, then the PM-2 is an excellent choice and our recommendation.

It's not money that is my primary motivatior I just felt they didnt quite compare with other headphones in that pricerange. But I want to try the new pads as I felt there was potential.

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #2,907 of 3,729
I saw/held/heard the PM-2 at the SF Bay Area show last week. They are going to be equally as polarizing as the PM-1 for the same reasons. If you think the PM-1's will be right for you, the PM-2's will be as well. Nice build, and a bit of a tilt up on the bass and treble. Not a V or a U, just a bit more on each end. I liked it enough I'll consider these pads for my PM-1's. Maybe.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #2,908 of 3,729
Thank you for the teaser, aamefford..
I would like to give the new pads a go, too.
Am liking the PM-1 with the lambskin pads, though [and with the velours for older "classic" rock recordings].
. . . and the more time I spend listening to them, the more "right" they sound to me.  
Don't crave the HE-6 or the LCD 2.2 AT ALL!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #2,909 of 3,729
Hey Badas, great to hear from beautiful NZ! I also read the complete 188 pages+ on evaluating for a nice pair of cans. I am probably waiting for the release of model PM-2, but I am still very interested in HD-800. When I see your list of HIFI equipment (incl. Buttkicks), I believe that you would like some bassy cans. That is where the Hifiman HE-6 appears to be very strong, beside it's low distortion ( according to Innerfidelity). LCD-3 would be nice selection as well from what I learned in this forum, but you need to be athletic to wear it's heavy weight. With your HA-1, you are pretty much on the safe side when it comes to driving power. I personally fell in love with my HA-1 , but it is "too weak" for driving my old Stax SR-3/SRD-6 combo, according to OPPO support staff ( great support, i need to mention).:) I assume that your HD-700 should have great bass performance, maybe some more distortion when compared with magnetoplanar model PM-1 and PM-2 ( "Dark background" of PM-1 was mentioned earlier in this forum). May I ask you about the high brightness of your HD-700, is it painful, itchy, poisy? I always thought that the Beyerdynamics are painful at the heights. Sorry, this subject might need to be placed in another forum :D. However, I do believe that the weakness in PM-1 treble that was mentioned earlier is exactly THE reason for it's warmness. I would love to test the PM-1 / PM-2 , pretty complicated (and expensive) in Europe...:mad:

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #2,910 of 3,729
Not sure how you equate the previous posts with "weakness in PM-1 treble".
IMHE, the PM-1 resolve HF detail very, very well, with more delicacy and tonal/dynamic complexity than my HE-6.  They are not treble-prominent, but they are not treble-"weak", either, IMHE.
Note that I am reporting what my ears--not someone else's ears--are hearing.  YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back