Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #931 of 3,729
tyll's measurements show another planar magnetic can with rolled-off highs. kinda surprised that he described it as a little muffled sounding when folks here have been praising its clarity. should be able to hear it for myself soon enough.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #934 of 3,729

Do you own these headphones? Have you heard them?

So you believe all of the graphs are incorrect?

Obviously, if you've actually read my posts, I haven't heard them.

I'd love to hear them on my own setup, but certainly won't be blind buying these with the expectation that they will equal the LCD3 at a lighter weight based on the information currently available.

Why does that statement bother you so much?  I have been very careful to say nothing negative about the PM-1, just comparing their published response chart to the LCD3.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #935 of 3,729
People should always post their setup along with their impressions... What good are impressions if we don't know what equipment they use?

What good are filling out Community Profiles if nobody bothers to read them?

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #936 of 3,729
  I just think it would be a shame for someone to be swayed away from these great headphones because of negative remarks about them from people who have not heard them.

Funny, I think it's a shame for someone to be swayed by the hype surrounding a new headphone before most have heard them, and to act as if consistent FR graphs of that headphone are meaningless.  To date, there have been very, very few comparisons between the PM-1 and other TOTL planers.  Perhaps it's a little early for the PM-1 supporters to be so sure it's the best thing since sliced bread.

The PM-1 appears to be a very good headphone.  It is unlikely to be the "best" planer certainly isn't best for everyone.  Sorry if that disappoints you.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #937 of 3,729
Jeez man, why don't you go buy them and if you don't like them, you have 30 days to return them? Stop whining already. You're comparing to a phone you already have, the LCD-3 which costs like double the PM-1. Why are you even interested in the PM-1?

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #939 of 3,729
Damn, this thread is like a roller-coaster! 
Still looking forward to more impressions and comparisons
popcorn.gif

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #940 of 3,729
Having lived with the PM-1's for a few weeks now, one thing I can say is that they are light on the head. With some of my better headphones I often have this little twinge of "ok, time for serious listening" thought that goes through me when I'm just about to put them on. Ok.. I'll admit, it makes no sense, but I find it has to do with the weight or fit of the headphones. It's almost if even the slightest bit of weight or fit issue amplifies that one has something on their head. 

I found this with laptops, I used to think that a few ounces didn't make a difference, what's the big deal? But.. it turns out that a few ounces is a big deal, we immediately seem to notice. So.. this is a roundabout way of saying that the weight and use of materials in the PM-1 makes them almost non-noticeable. They stay put on your head, but not tight enough to make your ears hurt or ache. Even after an hour or two, you just forget about them. I remember getting up from my computer to get the phone, and all of a sudden I noticed something was tugging at me, doh.. I still had the headphones on and the cord was plugged in.

So, I'm finding them really comfortable. Yesterday my son (15) was holding them, and feeling the ear cups, and I asked him what he was doing, and he said that they were the softest thing he had ever felt! Really funny, but they really are pretty soft and cushy! 

Everyone's fit is different, and the Oppo distribution model is such that it isn't as easy to just go find a pair to audition as with mass-market brands, but it's worth the effort to see how they fit you. We review earphones all the time, and you know it always struck me as pretty much impossible. I mean folks can attempt measurements, describe the fit, feel, and sound, but ultimately, since they are wholly dependent upon a persons actual ear canal construction, it is somewhat meaningless until you try them yourself. 

A case in point is some earphones by two major manufacturers, and my colleague and I were both given a set of identical models from both companies to try. I liked them both (What's not to like?) but there were differences in the sound, one model was a single driver, the other multiple drivers, but my colleague only liked one, and in the end, it was due to fit. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get a proper, or at least a comfortable proper fit with one set, but the other, was an easy fit. So... being a good friend I accused him of having alien ear canals, but it was a reminder that metrics and other folks opinions only go so far.

In terms of gear I'm using a variety of Mac's running Snow Leopard (I still need Rosetta, and don't love sandboxing) with Amarra, Decibel, AudioGate, Pure Music, running into an AudioEngine D3, Korg DS-DAC 100, the Oppo BDP-105, and most recently the new Oppo HA-1 to audition the PM-1's. For source music, a combination of high-res files, mostly FLAC from HD Tracks, Society of Sound, Cedille Records, Naxos, Linn, DSDs from AIX and Blue Coast, assorted SACDs, and also lots of files that are lossless rips from CDs. 

The combination of the PM-1 and HA-1 really reveals the shortcomings in a lot of recent high-defination remaster releases, which is to say, on albums (why do we still use that term btw?) where I expected significant improvements, its been kinda "meh" not worth the hassle, but on others, it's amazing. Case in point. A couple of years ago we reviewed the Jethro Tull "Aqualung" remaster, and it was amazing. Not a mere remaster, but a complete remix from the original tapes, a complete restoration and revisit of the source. Compared to the recent release of Moondance by Van Morrison, which revealed fantastic remastering of the unknown material, but the actual album was better, but not amazingly so. Why? Well, those tracks represented a remaster that was done 10 years ago, so contained things (dropouts in "And it Stoned Me") that could have, and should have been fixed and restored properly for this release. Further muddying the waters is that the high-res versions for the DVD and HD Tracks release were prepared specifically for the remaster release.

Of course, anyone with even the most basic set of decent earphones or headphones can hear this. The nice thing about the PM-1 and HA-1 is that it doesn't feel that they are coloring the sound. They are exciting when the source is exciting, and laid back when the source is laid back. I'm still trying to figure out if there is a genre of music they favor, but haven't found it yet. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #941 of 3,729
  Having lived with the PM-1's for a few weeks now, one thing I can say is that they are light on the head. With some of my better headphones I often have this little twinge of "ok, time for serious listening" thought that goes through me when I'm just about to put them on. Ok.. I'll admit, it makes no sense, but I find it has to do with the weight or fit of the headphones. It's almost if even the slightest bit of weight or fit issue amplifies that one has something on their head. 
I found this with laptops, I used to think that a few ounces didn't make a difference, what's the big deal? But.. it turns out that a few ounces is a big deal, we immediately seem to notice. So.. this is a roundabout way of saying that the weight and use of materials in the PM-1 makes them almost non-noticeable. They stay put on your head, but not tight enough to make your ears hurt or ache. Even after an hour or two, you just forget about them. I remember getting up from my computer to get the phone, and all of a sudden I noticed something was tugging at me, doh.. I still had the headphones on and the cord was plugged in.

So, I'm finding them really comfortable. Yesterday my son (15) was holding them, and feeling the ear cups, and I asked him what he was doing, and he said that they were the softest thing he had ever felt! Really funny, but they really are pretty soft and cushy! 

Everyone's fit is different, and the Oppo distribution model is such that it isn't as easy to just go find a pair to audition as with mass-market brands, but it's worth the effort to see how they fit you. We review earphones all the time, and you know it always struck me as pretty much impossible. I mean folks can attempt measurements, describe the fit, feel, and sound, but ultimately, since they are wholly dependent upon a persons actual ear canal construction, it is somewhat meaningless until you try them yourself. 

A case in point is some earphones by two major manufacturers, and my colleague and I were both given a set of identical models from both companies to try. I liked them both (What's not to like?) but there were differences in the sound, one model was a single driver, the other multiple drivers, but my colleague only liked one, and in the end, it was due to fit. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get a proper, or at least a comfortable proper fit with one set, but the other, was an easy fit. So... being a good friend I accused him of having alien ear canals, but it was a reminder that metrics and other folks opinions only go so far.

In terms of gear I'm using a variety of Mac's running Snow Leopard (I still need Rosetta, and don't love sandboxing) with Amarra, Decibel, AudioGate, Pure Music, running into an AudioEngine D3, Korg DS-DAC 100, the Oppo BDP-105, and most recently the new Oppo HA-1 to audition the PM-1's. For source music, a combination of high-res files, mostly FLAC from HD Tracks, Society of Sound, Cedille Records, Naxos, Linn, DSDs from AIX and Blue Coast, assorted SACDs, and also lots of files that are lossless rips from CDs. 

The combination of the PM-1 and HA-1 really reveals the shortcomings in a lot of recent high-defination remaster releases, which is to say, on albums (why do we still use that term btw?) where I expected significant improvements, its been kinda "meh" not worth the hassle, but on others, it's amazing. Case in point. A couple of years ago we reviewed the Jethro Tull "Aqualung" remaster, and it was amazing. Not a mere remaster, but a complete remix from the original tapes, a complete restoration and revisit of the source. Compared to the recent release of Moondance by Van Morrison, which revealed fantastic remastering of the unknown material, but the actual album was better, but not amazingly so. Why? Well, those tracks represented a remaster that was done 10 years ago, so contained things (dropouts in "And it Stoned Me") that could have, and should have been fixed and restored properly for this release. Further muddying the waters is that the high-res versions for the DVD and HD Tracks release were prepared specifically for the remaster release.

Of course, anyone with even the most basic set of decent earphones or headphones can hear this. The nice thing about the PM-1 and HA-1 is that it doesn't feel that they are coloring the sound. They are exciting when the source is exciting, and laid back when the source is laid back. I'm still trying to figure out if there is a genre of music they favor, but haven't found it yet. 

Thanks for your honest opinion and the addition of the PM-1 and HA-1 audition, every bit counts as to the synergy between the two. Really appreciate the fact the headphones are very comfortable, that is an important point for me, if it feels too heavy and painful after a while, I won't like it and will end up not using them as often as I should.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #942 of 3,729

I wear glasses and I'm coming to the conclusion that the fit doesn't work for me. After a short time using them, the pressure on the right side of my head starts to intrude on the pleasure of listening to the PM-1s  and I eventually have to take a break...can't take much more than an hour no matter how I adjust them.  I don't have this problem with the HD800s.  So unless something changes, I'm going to have to return them.

As for sound, out of the box I was really impressed with them and this hasn't changed after further listening.  They do have a warm sound and the bass impact is a real step up from the HD800s which I like.  While I know that some people on this thread don't like the HD800 treble presentation, there is a big difference going back and forth between the two.  If you don't like the HD800 sound, you'll undoubtedly like the PM-1s better and HD800 fans may find the PM-1s a bit closed in.  The Oppos are more forgiving and, unlike the Senns, they play well with all types of recordings...good & bad.

Which do I prefer?  I don't know that I can definitively say one way or the other since the PM-1s don't work for me fit-wise.  I will say that they are different enough from each other (and both very good), that I could see keeping both... over time I'd eventually determine which is my "go-to" and maybe just keep one, but at this point when I think about using the PM-1, I start thinking about how I find them uncomfortable and I go to the HD800s.

Now if only the Sennheisers had that Oppo low-end...

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #943 of 3,729
I've had the PM-1 since Tuesday. I am using it on two systems: (1) iPod to AlgoRhythm Solo to ALO Pan Amp amp; (2) Bryston BDP-1 to Berkeley Alpha DAC to DNA Sonett 2. I have a Sennheiser HD-800 and Westone 4 earphones. Now a few observations. The PM-1s are very comfortable. Not as comfortable as the HD-800, but way more comfortable than the LCD-X (which I bought, but gave up on due to comfort issues). They require more gain on both systems than the HD-800. The soundstage is not nearly as wide as the HD-800. The imaging is not as good as the HD-800. The HD-800 is a lot more airy. Sound seems to emanate from a black void with the PM-1. With the HD-800, the airiness makes it sound like the music is coming out of a venue. I can listen to the PM-1 for hours, both in terms of comfort and listening fatigue. That is a good thing. The PM-1 has a very nice tone to vocals, and the bass is a bit more present and impactful than the HD-800. On complex music, the HD-800 sounds much cleaner and composed. The PM-1 sounds a little stressed. Perhaps this is what Tyll described as "muffled." I'm hoping that might change as the unit breaks in. On small scale music, the PM-1 really sounds glorious.

Would I ditch the HD-800 for the PM-1? No. But that is not what I'm looking for. I love the HD-800. What I have been looking for is a good second phone that is more mobile and that won't make me long for the HD-800, either because it is just as good in its own way or is different enough that I enjoy the experience in different ways. In that context, I am enjoying the PM-1. The build quality is superb and the packaging is exquisite. That makes me want to like them, because it satisfies that pride of ownership feeling.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #944 of 3,729
Hi!

I too wear glasses, but haven't had a fit issue from them. I think I have a bit of a narrow head though, since the Audio-Technica Wing system doesn't always hold their headphones on my head the way I liked. The solution was a rubber band between the wings, so for me the PM-1's are really comfortable, but to paraphrase Gertrude Stein, a fit is a fit is a fit, is a fit, is a fit, etc..

Harris

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #945 of 3,729
I also don't get why everybody is comparing it to the LCD3 in this thread when it's natural competitor is the LCD2.

Speaking of the LCD2, that ugly box Audeze ships now instead of the original wooden box they had when they launched the LCD2 is such a cynical cost cutting measure. Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!

Now Oppo shows them how it's done. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back