Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #2,836 of 3,729
The 800s tend to faithfully replicate dry or harsh notes.  The 560s seem to accentuate them for some reason.  Call it glare, ringing, tizz, whatever. I actually get fatigued much faster with the 560s than with my stock HD800s.  The issue was worse with the initial all-wood version but I still seem to get it with the current production version.

Anyway, off topic.

Edit: spelling

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #2,837 of 3,729
After trying the PM-1 with the hybrid Bada PH-12* [and not the best tube arrangement, either--1x Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB & 2x ElectroHarmonix 6SN7EH], I prefer the Oppos paired with either the (solid state) Lehmann BCL or the (ss) ß22.

IMHO, the detail, transparency, speed, transient attack and bass control of capable ss gear really augment/better complement the native [warm, smooth and tonally/dynamically nuanced] sound signature of the PM-1. To my ears, the PM-1 are certainly "high end enough" to enable the listener to clearly discern different amplifiers' characteristics and any commensurate "scaling up".

When I get the chance, I will re-tube the Bada with more "neutral" tubes [e.g. Sylvania, Ken-Rad, JAN Philips, etc.] and try another listen.

The AKG 812Pro, on the other hand--whose inherent sound signature already leans toward speed, neutrality and transparency, sound very good with ss gear, but [IMHO] appreciably better with tubes.

*Since Fitz worked on my Bada PH-12, it performs at another level altogether.

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #2,838 of 3,729
I don't have any experience with the LC2, but based on comments here it seems they are very close to the same sound as the PM-1.

I had the LCD 2.2 for about a year, and to me the PM-1 do not sound the same [at all].
IMHO, the PM-1's tonal and dynamic complexity set them apart from [and above/beyond] the Audeze.  Treble-wise, the PM-1, for me, also come across with much more vitality and finer overall resolution.  The LCD 2.2 were, for me, nowhere near as involving to listen to as the PM-1.
Keep in mind, too, that I preferred the HifiMAN HE-500 and HE-5LE to the LCD 2.2.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #2,839 of 3,729
  I had the LCD 2.2 for about a year, and to me the PM-1 do not sound the same [at all].
IMHO, the PM-1's tonal and dynamic complexity set them apart from [and above/beyond] the Audeze.  Treble-wise, the PM-1, for me, also come across with much more vitality and finer overall resolution.  The LCD 2.2 were, for me, nowhere near as involving to listen to as the PM-1.
Keep in mind, too, that I preferred the HifiMAN HE-500 and HE-5LE to the LCD 2.2.

That pretty much was exactly my experience too. I sold my lcd 2.2s.

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #2,841 of 3,729
Hey guys just got my PM-1, any recommendations for amp under 1000$ other then oppo's own?

For now I'm powering them with hp-a4, but I feel like this is a waste 
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #2,843 of 3,729
  Hey guys just got my PM-1, any recommendations for amp under 1000$ other then oppo's own?

tongue.gif

Yes, you want a schiit lyr with a nice set of tubes which I happen to have for sale. 
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #2,844 of 3,729
Haha while I love that sneak attempt to self-advertise I look over Schiit website, Under Valhalla 2 it says 

While most tube OTL amps are really only designed for 300 ohm Senns and 600 ohm Beyers, Valhalla 2 stretches to include headphones that you’d never expect to use with a tube amp. Go ahead. Use it with Grados. Run it with AKGs. Rely on it for many IEMs. You may even like it with high-efficiency planars like LCD-X, LCD-XC, Oppo PM-1 and HE-400. 

Since PM-1 specifically is mentioned I wonder if they are better with Valhalla rather then Lyr

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #2,845 of 3,729
^^Hmm...I have a OTL amp, it sounds awful with planar mag hp's. Maybe the Valhalla 2 is dramatically different than the other tube amps I've heard. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #2,846 of 3,729

tongue.gif

I recommend a used Headroom amp. My Max sounds great with it. Here's one that is an old ad but isn't marked as sold, so who knows...? :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/652992/headroom-desktop-amp-max-module-stepped-attenuator-desktop-ps

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #2,848 of 3,729

tongue.gif

Pick up a used Lehmann Black Cube Linear, if you can.  They usually go for $600-$650 USD used.  One of the best-sounding and versatile solid state amps I have ever used.  The BCL has adjustable gain, and can function as a pre-amp as well as a headphone amp.  An excellent match with the PM-1 IMHO: very clean, detailed, with excellent bass and a deep, layered soundstage.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #2,849 of 3,729

For now I'm powering them with hp-a4, but I feel like this is a waste :p

A Schiit Asgard2 is fine solution at $250ish new, $200ish used - if you are looking at the lower price range. I tried one out for a couple months. Big Bang for the buck.

Yes, you want a schiit lyr with a nice set of tubes which I happen to have for sale. :p  

Shameless Hussy! (In good sport, of course).

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #2,850 of 3,729
  Haha while I love that sneak attempt to self-advertise I look over Schiit website, Under Valhalla 2 it says 

Since PM-1 specifically is mentioned I wonder if they are better with Valhalla rather then Lyr

The Valhalla's claims sound interesting/promising.

The ad goes on to mention:

Not Your Father’s Tube Amp
If you’re expecting syrupy, tubby, euphonically colored tube sound, you’re in for a shock. Valhalla 2 is exceptionally accurate, neutral, and resolving, without being strident or etched. 

. . . then why not just get a good solid state amp?  
biggrin.gif

The G&W T2.6F [hybrid: 2x 6922 w/Hitachi Mosfets] had a nice ss signature, too. 

Lyr is a hybrid that use 2x 6922 also.  Valhalla is all tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back