Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #2,791 of 3,729

I understand the drivers are identical now.  My question is regarding the housings.  Different materials, thicknesses, etc. can change sound in both the time domain (resonances) and raw frequency. 

I thought I had covered this in the previous E-Mail when I said that the headphone was the final PM-2. So yes, the housing, the ring between the housing and the earpads, the parts around the hinges, were plastic.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #2,792 of 3,729

I thought I had covered this in the previous E-Mail when I said that the headphone was the final PM-2. So yes, the housing, the ring between the housing and the earpads, the parts around the hinges, were plastic.

Whoops, I should have been more specific, I was talking about between the driver and the housing :p  Does this also include the grill?  Sorry for the mass questions, this is the last one, I promise :D

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #2,793 of 3,729
The driver casing, grill and dampening material are identical. The quality of the components used are in the headphone housing, the the headband, earpads, and in the hinge. By switching to plastics and synthetics, you literally assure 99 percent manufacturing standards, whereas with metal, composite components, and leather, you end up with a lot of rejected components as they fall short of our high manufacturing standards. This is why the PM-2 can offer the same performance of the PM-1 at a substantially lower price.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #2,795 of 3,729
How do I git them thar PM-2 pads, pard'ner?
Will PM-1 owners be required to put in a formal request?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #2,796 of 3,729
The driver casing, grill and dampening material are identical. The quality of the components used are in the headphone housing, the the headband, earpads, and in the hinge. By switching to plastics and synthetics, you literally assure 99 percent manufacturing standards, whereas with metal, composite components, and leather, you end up with a lot of rejected parts they fall short of our high manufacturing standards. This is why the PM-2 can offer the same performance of the PM-1 at a substantially lower price.

Great to hear. Seems like the PM2 is the real deal!! I'm glad to have resisted getting PM1. :)

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #2,797 of 3,729
But wait, some bloke said earlier that changing the pads won't make a difference in sound and that it was almost a fact? :).

More seriously, thank you Hastur for the continued clarifications. As usual, you guys appear to be doing very sound engineering and it just feels very clever / well done as a whole.

A PM2 with its alternative pads and PM1 leather pads sounds like an interesting proposition! Gotta hide the wallet :wink:.

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #2,798 of 3,729
  How do I git them thar PM-2 pads, pard'ner?
Will PM-1 owners be required to put in a formal request?
smily_headphones1.gif

Hasn't been decided on how we will fulfill the request for the earpads, but likely we will just E-Mail blast customers (since all PM-1 customers had to buy direct) requesting confirmation of the shipping address so we can fulfill shipping of the tuned earpads.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #2,799 of 3,729

Hasn't been decided on how we will fulfill the request for the earpads, but likely we will just E-Mail blast customers (since all PM-1 customers had to buy direct) requesting confirmation of the shipping address so we can fulfill shipping of the tuned earpads.

You might want to confirm they still own them also, in case some few have sold them on ( hard as that is to fathom ), and you would be sending pads for nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back