Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #2,736 of 3,729
Cool, I was never sure if you ended up liking them or not. I do, lots of others do, many don't. I wasn't sure which camp you were in. Or are you having a bit of sport?

Don't see the PM-1 in Jerg's signature or profile, so it could be jest [or a jibe at my hyperbole].

The PM-1 challenged my preconceptions about what I had always tended to prefer in a set of headphones [e.g., "bright", "airy", treble-leaning].  While the Oppos cannot be adequately described by any of those adjectives, they still somehow manage to get my undivided attention--every time.  I ended up liking the PM-1 very much--and very much, apparently, against my own native predilections.

However, I remain pleased with, and at the same time pleasantly surprised by, the PM-1.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #2,737 of 3,729
Please stop :wink:

I made a big mistake by returning them to Oppo a month ago.  My plan was to wait for the release of the PM-2 but I have the feeling that they won't be available until the end of the summer. 
frown.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #2,739 of 3,729
Cool, I was never sure if you ended up liking them or not. I do, lots of others do, many don't. I wasn't sure which camp you were in. Or are you having a bit of sport?

The PM-1, I think, took a lot of staunch "brand-loyalists" off guard.  

Oppo has done their homework, IMHO, and delivered a unique set of headphones at this stage of orthodynamic popularity/product development.  Their distinctive sound and thoughtful styling/construction further differentiate and epitomize the PM-1 as a noteworthy--even praiseworthy--first effort on Oppo's part, too.

I think there might be some "new-kid-on-the-block" animus directed at Oppo, since the PM-1 represent worthy contenders in an arena that has been monopolized, and even memorialized, by Audeze and HifiMAN for the last several years. 

The past year or two has also given the Head-Fi community many new, frequently first-time portable offerings [from Martin Logan, NAD, PSB, etc.] that have disturbed the status quo with their comparative excellence and/or popular acceptance.  Some of these have tended to produce a polarizing effect on this [portables] sector the listening community as well.

The competition is healthy for the market and for this hobby, though, I think.

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,741 of 3,729

Lol oh uh...I was commenting on the linguistic beauty of his post.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #2,742 of 3,729
 My plan was to wait for the release of the PM-2 but I have the feeling that they won't be available until the end of the summer. :frowning2:

Why in the world would you think that ?!?
Oppo rep 'Hastur The Yellow' has just reconfirmed that the PM-2 release is July unless some extenuating circumstance gets in the way.
I think you just may be used to some labels making empty promises and than not fulfilling their promise.
Oppo Digital has always used a straight forward and honest approach with their customers. If they say a July release, that is what they intend to do.
Again aside form extenuating circumstance, which is always a possibility with any scheduled launch of a product.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #2,743 of 3,729
I think that he posted that there was a small delay, possibly with some third party company who provided materials for the product. He also stated that they won't release anything before it's ready. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #2,745 of 3,729
Why in the world would you think that ?!?
Oppo rep 'Hastur The Yellow' has just reconfirmed that the PM-2 release is July unless some extenuating circumstance gets in the way.
I think you just may be used to some labels making empty promises and than not fulfilling their promise.
Oppo Digital has always used a straight forward and honest approach with their customers. If they say a July release, that is what they intend to do.
Again aside form extenuating circumstance, which is always a possibility with any scheduled launch of a product.

I hope that you're right :wink:

I have been very impressed by the PM-1 and I'm certain that the PM-2 will be as good or better with the new earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back