Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,701 of 3,729
After reading all your posts here, I'm starting to get the feeling that you kind of enjoy the pm-1.
wink.gif

Me, too!!!
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #2,702 of 3,729
Long story short I had sent Oppo a email regarding on the outside of one of the ear can was a darker black Blemishes that wouldn't wipe off,So they had sent me a replacement, which by the way is flawless looking,with a prepaid shipping label to send my replacement back,My question is it safe to have them turn on for a full 50hrs break in period?,I never did it with my first pair that way, But I notice that over time they were more spacious and open..

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #2,703 of 3,729
Long story short I had sent Oppo a email regarding on the outside of one of the ear can was a darker black Blemishes that wouldn't wipe off,So they had sent me a replacement, which by the way is flawless looking,with a prepaid shipping label to send my replacement back,My question is it safe to have them turn on for a full 50hrs break in period?,I never did it with my first pair that way, But I notice that over time they were more spacious and open..

Burning in a pair of headphones won't damage them if done at a reasonable sound level (just at, or slightly above, what you listen at). 

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2,704 of 3,729
Listening to my favorite Elton John album: an early release, Tumbleweed Connection, on the Rocket label [remastered].  

The PM-1 really do these pieces--a difficult-to-finger folk/rock/country compositional blend--justice.  

Track #5, "My Father's Gun", builds to rolling crescendo(s) with [what sounds like] black female back up vocals, brass w/prominent trombone, strings, piano, electric guitar, acoustic guitar and percussion.  

The Oppos keep everything very well-sorted, dynamically and tonally individuated, but always with a synergistic and musical bottom line.  

The album's last [bonus] track, "Madman Across the Water", is also very well done with the PM-1, even with sub-optimal source [RAM-modded Samsung DVD-HD841], not-the-best-matched amplification [ß22] and a dearth of tweaks.

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #2,706 of 3,729
Burning in a pair of headphones won't damage them if done at a reasonable sound level (just at, or slightly above, what you listen at). 
Been patiently waiting for these to open back up,Had them running through the ipod5 all night and today, by tomorrow night they should sound like the first pair I had,Then I can enjoy them more,as of now they just sound to congested, plus been switching back and forth through my bdp-105

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #2,710 of 3,729

Where is HasturTheYellow.   Haven't heard from him in a few weeks.   PM2's due sometime this month, maybe 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I expect so, I think they would haave known by now if not and updated their page here:  https://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-2/ that says expected available in July.  They do have a field to put in your email address to get updates on PM-2 availability at the bottom.  I love my PM-1's and am gonna wait for the bunch of comparo's that I KNOW are going to be done between the PM-1 and PM-2's before I decide on keeping the PM-1's or downgrading to free up some $$.  I have read that they are supposed to be the same sonically, excepting perhaps the sound differences that may be caused by different ear pads, but assuming the pads are compatible between the two, if they don't have the same pad's as the PM-1, I suppose one could just buy replacement PM-1 leather pad's for their PM-2's.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #2,711 of 3,729
  I really miss the sound of the PM-1. 
frown.gif

@HasturTheYellow, do you have an update about the release date of the PM-2 ?

Thanks

Patrick

Where is HasturTheYellow.   Haven't heard from him in a few weeks.   PM2's due sometime this month, maybe 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I try to let the forums run their course, and comment only when I have information which no one else really has.

PM-2s are still a work in progress. We still anticipate a release this month, but that is contingent on many factors, some of which we do not control directly. I will post in the future once I have some more definitive information on the release.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2,712 of 3,729
I try to let the forums run their course, and comment only when I have information which no one else really has.

PM-2s are still a work in progress. We still anticipate a release this month, but that is contingent on many factors, some of which we do not control directly. I will post in the future once I have some more definitive information on the release.

Thanks for the update!

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #2,713 of 3,729

Will you please expand on the "still in progress" phrase?  
Specifically, will Oppo garner feedback from the initial PM-1 customer base and further optimize the sound/fit of the PM-2 [and perhaps subsequent PM-1] accordingly?
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #2,714 of 3,729
I'm concerned by the possible answer to that, would suck for PM-1 owners if it is slightly different and considered to be better. I already know I'm jumping on buying a PM-2 when it arrives though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back