Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Nov 18, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #768 of 2,563
-

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #769 of 2,563
  I guarantee that no one wanted the PM-1 released in December more than Oppo. November and December are when people are spending money and then retail is very dead until spring. They've spent a pile of money on development and manufacturing and are anxious for sales to begin.

Very true, indeed.  But rush a buggy product, and the reviewers will have nothing but complaints against it.

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #770 of 2,563
Would be nice to get an msrp though, i really do not like that they havent said anything about that.

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #771 of 2,563
  U2? Ever wonder why I only listen too dead people?

U2 was just an example.....substitute an artist of your choice and the point remains the same..

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #772 of 2,563
  If you have a goal and have faith and confidence that your product has met that goal, and you've compared it to what's out there, you manufacture, price and release it. Period.

Did U2 write songs and ask the public if they were good enough before they recorded an album?

Yeah well actually they did as do most artists. It's called working your way to a recording contract. Even after a deal with a label you might be surprised with how many bands try out new stuff live before easting up studio dollars. It's the difference between what David Byrne calls a performance band and a recording band.

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #773 of 2,563
Holy cow, let me rephrase that
rolleyes.gif

Does a band send out their demo tapes to fans for approval before they record those songs for their next album?

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #774 of 2,563
Right now we're complaining about the fact that Oppo's making an attempt to get our input on what we can assume is a very expensive-to-develop product. They want it to be appealing to the audiophile market, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you don't like the buildup, you can ignore it and wait for the release.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #775 of 2,563
Seems to me like the tubey sound didn't get the wow response from the show (like the kind of responses from when LCD3 was launched) everyone was wowing with best bass they every heard etc.. hmm not so much wowing for Oppo... its no surprise that more tuning may be required..

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #776 of 2,563
  Right now we're complaining about the fact that Oppo's making an attempt to get our input on what we can assume is a very expensive-to-develop product. They want it to be appealing to the audiophile market, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you don't like the buildup, you can ignore it and wait for the release.

Oppo already makes great gear that is appealing to the audiophile market. One would assume they know what sound they like and would follow suit with their headphones. Joe Grado designed and hand-build the original HP1000 headphones based on his own ears and what he heard.

You can't (or shouldn't) design a headphone's sound signature based  on what "everybody" hears, because they all hear it differently. That is one thing we all know for sure at Head-Fi, right?
wink.gif
 We know that when the de-facto version eventually is released, there will probably be some who will prefer the prototype's sound.

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #777 of 2,563
  Seems to me like the tubey sound didn't get the wow response from the show (like the kind of responses from when LCD3 was launched) everyone was wowing with best bass they every heard etc.. hmm not so much wowing for Oppo... its no surprise that more tuning may be required..

Depends on which version. The version that Jude had & the one that Emilai (Oppo distributor in Japan) loaned me were the older versions which sounded warm/tubey. The newer version that Emilai had which subsequently went back to Oppo was the one that was apparently dramatically different and improved - I say apparently 'cos Jude and Currawong managed to hear it but I didn't and wished I did.

Emilai did say to me when the final version comes out, I'll get to put my dirty paws on it.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #778 of 2,563

Depends on which version. The version that Jude had & the one that Emilai (Oppo distributor in Japan) loaned me were the older versions which sounded warm/tubey. The newer version that Emilai had which subsequently went back to Oppo was the one that was apparently dramatically different and improved - I say apparently 'cos Jude and Currawong managed to hear it but I didn't and wished I did.

Emilai did say to me when the final version comes out, I'll get to put my dirty paws on it.

That's great new...

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #779 of 2,563

You can't (or shouldn't) design a headphone's sound signature based  on what "everybody" hears, because they all hear it differently. That is one thing we all know for sure at Head-Fi, right?
wink.gif
 We know that when the de-facto version eventually is released, there will probably be some who will prefer the prototype's sound.

But you can get a feel for what your audience's median signature is, that'll sell more than something skewed in either direction from there.

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #780 of 2,563
If Oppo is confident that both versions have their merits and both signatures sound good, they could release both with two different model numbers. I recall Yamaha putting out the YHD 1, 2 and 3 in the late 80's. Three different sounds and prices.

I still maintain that one sound signature is never going to be for everyone so they should trust their own instincts and judgement. And there is a tendency for the outside auditioners to compare the Oppo to other headphones and not to reality, the sound of live unamped instruments and voices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back