Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Nov 18, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #751 of 2,563
  They are out when they decide they are out, not going to speed it up for people "eagerly waiting". The posts were for unfinalized prototypes so no reason to expect them to bomb these out immediately after they were first seen asap. Lucky we saw these at all.

Exactly. Oppo does things the right way, and if they need to delay the launch a bit longer then there is a good reason for it. In my experience, they do a great job of respecting the customer, and I trust that when they do release these phones they'll be great. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #752 of 2,563
Yeah, but what do you agree upon?

This post........

I don't know, the HD800 is priced at $1500 and has sold amazingly well. The Grado HP-1 sold for $700 back in '92. Neither are crap. No company will charge a premium for crap, unless people want crappy sound and will pay for the looks. But they won't be around very long if they don't have other products well worth the asking price.

Oppo would probably do themselves a big favor by attaching a more than fair price to their first offering and selling in large volumes. On the other hand, if it is a costly endeavour to build these, that will have to be passed onto the buyer and it will be a niche market.

Macedonianhero suggested ultrasone and i agreed and added grado as well :D

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #753 of 2,563
  They are out when they decide they are out, not going to speed it up for people "eagerly waiting". The posts were for unfinalized prototypes so no reason to expect them to bomb these out immediately after they were first seen asap. Lucky we saw these at all.

How about finalizing it and THEN showing it? If you have to "taste-test" it with outsiders to find out if it passes muster, then you really have no idea what sound you are striving for, do you?

Remember when you used to see an ad in a hi-fi mag for a new product, and you went to your dealer and bought it? Now it's reduced to all this teasing and game playing with no product available to sell.

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #754 of 2,563

How about finalizing it and THEN showing it? If you have to "taste-test" it with outsiders to find out if it passes muster, then you really have no idea what sound you are striving for, do you?

Remember when you used to see an ad in a hi-fi mag for a new product, and you went to your dealer and bought it? Now it's reduced to all this teasing and game playing with no product available to sell.

Getting a variety of opinions, even with something as personal as high-end headphones, is now a bad thing? 

Ok.  

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #755 of 2,563
Sure, after they are released, it's what we do best here..

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #756 of 2,563
There's nothing wrong with building hype and getting input at the same time. If JPS hadn't done that for the Abyss (not that this is a great example of pre-production, post-tease improvements), their grilles would've been spiderwebs.

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #757 of 2,563
If you have a goal and have faith and confidence that your product has met that goal, and you've compared it to what's out there, you manufacture, price and release it. Period.

Did U2 write songs and ask the public if they were good enough before they recorded an album?

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #758 of 2,563
  If you have a goal and have faith and confidence that your product has met that goal, and you've compared it to what's out there, you manufacture, price and release it. Period.

Did U2 write songs and ask the public if they were good enough before they recorded an album?

Some might suggest they should have ...  
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #759 of 2,563

Yes.  That's why all the songs sound the same
biggrin.gif

Seriously, this is extremely common in electronics now, so much that it seems to be the norm.  You always have the choice not to follow a thread.

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #760 of 2,563
I guarantee that no one wanted the PM-1 released in December more than Oppo. November and December are when people are spending money and then retail is very dead until spring. They've spent a pile of money on development and manufacturing and are anxious for sales to begin.

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #761 of 2,563
  You always have the choice not to follow a thread.

Or you can follow it and provide some constrictive criticism. Got a problem with that?

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #763 of 2,563
Sorry, I meant destrictive cruticism

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #765 of 2,563

U2? Ever wonder why I only listen too dead people?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back