Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Nov 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #721 of 2,563

It's more like the whole Hi Fi scene is changing. Young people just cannot afford a good speaker setups these days due to money and space restrictions.

Headphones are very good substitute because they are still relatively cheap compared to a good speaker..... SR009 and Edition 5 are actually rather cheap compared to many of so called 'mid-range' audiophile speakers, and that's before we are talking about amplifiers and room treatment and space requirements. 

Exactly. Also, young people these days are going to be living with two or more other roomies and/or in cramped apartments, more often than not. Personal listening becomes important, and even open backed is better than blasting the whole place with your music in terms of potentially annoying one's neighbors. 

I'm more of a yuppie than a kid at this point, but I still share walls with neighbors as a condo owner. I would not even consider speakers myself. 

All that said though, the cynical part of me wonders if they didn't just hear about the Audeze success and figure they could cash in on selling some expensive planars themselves. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #722 of 2,563
  Exactly. Also, young people these days are going to be living with two or more other roomies and/or in cramped apartments, more often than not. Personal listening becomes important, and even open backed is better than blasting the whole place with your music in terms of potentially annoying one's neighbors.

I'm more of a yuppie than a kid at this point, but I still share walls with neighbors as a condo owner. I would not even consider speakers myself.

All that said though, the cynical part of me wonders if they didn't just hear about the Audeze success and figure they could cash in on selling some expensive planars themselves.

Your kind of new around here, every co. associated with audio..... amps, speakers and now source players want in on the personal audio action. Eight years ago, when I lurked around, their were only a few great phones. Today? You can have greatness at any price level......

Whether Oppo wants in.... to cash in? Or the folks at Oppo think it can be done better.....WELCOME!!

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #723 of 2,563
I'm sure all you say is true. But I thought of Audeze because of how, even today, planars are not as common as other types of cans in high-end examples. For a first headphone design, to pick planars is kind of surprising, So couldn't help but wonder who might be inspiring them to be new competitors in the market, aside from engineering ideas they may have had and the general trends you speak of.

I didn't mean to speak ill of Oppo in any case. Whatever their inspiration, it's a business and they are understandably trying to make money in it. I am excited to see a new option on the scene. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #724 of 2,563
  I'm sure all you say is true. But I thought of Audeze because of how, even today, planars are not as common as other types of cans in high-end examples. For a first headphone design, to pick planars is kind of surprising, So couldn't help but wonder who might be inspiring them to be new competitors in the market, aside from engineering ideas they may have had and the general trends you speak of.

I didn't mean to speak ill of Oppo in any case. Whatever their inspiration, it's a business and they are understandably trying to make money in it. I am excited to see a new option on the scene.

Iso-Dynamics are as old as any conventional driver in the loudspeaker world (for theory). Good materials were not as readily available initially, mylar and good high temp adhesives in the early days. The 70's and 80's had a few headphones from AKG (hybrid) and Yamaha (ex.).

Ortho's aren't common place because to get them to perform optimally they need some grunt. Higher power with lower noise wasn't common in amps because first, it wasn't needed. Secondly having a few watts? You had bunches of noise that followed, speakers don't care, headphones do. Parts quality has improved, circuits reconfigured, that has changed....thankfully....

When Oppo developed their first source? They went for the top rung, least money segment (I still own the 971, with 83SE and 95). If Oppo was going to do phones?

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #725 of 2,563
This should be a surprise to no one, but Oppo website has been updated: Expected Availability: Early 2014

Oh well.

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #726 of 2,563
  This should be a surprise to no one, but Oppo website has been updated: Expected Availability: Early 2014

Oh well.

'Early'. 

A word chosen, no doubt, for it's ambiguity. 

I'd be surprised if we see these first quarter.   

I sure wish they'd give us a tenative price.   $500?  $2000?   No one has any idea.  

Nov 15, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #727 of 2,563
Nooo! Too bad since they told me in a personal email this morning that they were still trying to release them by the end of 2013, I guess they realized it was not going to happen and that 2014 it is.

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #728 of 2,563
I just picked up the new Absolute Sound magazine and noted that there is a full page ad for these....

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #732 of 2,563
I'm bummed out 
frown.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #733 of 2,563
The total lack of any sort of price range for this is very frustrating I need to know if it is a potential addition to my collection (under 1k) or not
I have other things to spend money on right now

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #735 of 2,563

Users who are viewing this thread

Back