Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Nov 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #676 of 2,563

...From my conversations with OPPO, they seem to me to be far more focused on getting it right than in getting it out by any specific date. (That's my take anyway.)

Personally, I'd be surprised to see it on dealer shelves before the end of the year; but, if it happens, that'd be great.

Getting it right?  That's exactly as I'd recommend.  Rushed products sound bad more often than not.  I wouldn't be surprised if Oppo® had the PM-1 launch slip to mid-February 2014.

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #677 of 2,563
If it is not out by Christmas, I don't think it would appear before March 2014.....folks are broke and payin' bills during the 1st quarter...

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #678 of 2,563
I'm expecting at least $1000.

If I were Oppo though, I'd sell them in between the HE-500 and LCD-2's price though. That's what they look like to me, if anything.

$750 would be my second guess, if Oppo wants to surprise us.

If anyone knows about oppo, they'd know that something as luxurious as this would go for a hefty premium. They don't have many cheap products aside from some well-priced BD players. Most of their premium stuff runs over $1000, easily.

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #680 of 2,563
I will blame everyone here if it sells for more than $399 exactly! :p

We are not talking about small special headphone company.

I want it, and I wany it now for $399! Christmas special!
Not including the special demo box..lol

Nov 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #681 of 2,563
I will blame everyone here if it sells for more than $399 exactly!
tongue.gif

We are not talking about small special headphone company.

I want it, and I wany it now for $399! Christmas special!
Not including the special demo box..lol

Actually, there are a few thousands of people who contribute to inflation in the audio market. Especially those who buy headphones priced at over a thousand (Ultrasone for example) but that are not even worth 100 dollars. Also these same people will buy the whole collection. Without them, no company would even sell a headphone over 500 dollars. These companies know they will have buyers even if they put up crap. That is how it is. We donb't have the most rationnal buyers here on head-fi...

Nov 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #682 of 2,563
I don't know, the HD800 is priced at $1500 and has sold amazingly well. The Grado HP-1 sold for $700 back in '92. Neither are crap. No company will charge a premium for crap, unless people want crappy sound and will pay for the looks. But they won't be around very long if they don't have other products well worth the asking price.

Oppo would probably do themselves a big favor by attaching a more than fair price to their first offering and selling in large volumes. On the other hand, if it is a costly endeavour to build these, that will have to be passed onto the buyer and it will be a niche market.

Nov 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #683 of 2,563
  I don't know, the HD800 is priced at $1500 and has sold amazingly well. The Grado HP-1 sold for $700 back in '92. Neither are crap. No company will charge a premium for crap, unless people want crappy sound and will pay for the looks. But they won't be around very long if they don't have other products well worth the asking price.

Oppo would probably do themselves a big favor by attaching a more than fair price to their first offering and selling in large volumes. On the other hand, if it is a costly endeavour to build these, that will have to be passed onto the buyer and it will be a niche market.

Usually is my preferred sound
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #684 of 2,563

HD800 are not a good example. They have had great reviews around and have sold quite a lot. Ultrasone headphones sell for a lot more than the HD800 and have not been well acclaimed. Some people will just blindly spend their money on thousand dollar headphones just because it is.... thousand dollar headphones....

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #685 of 2,563

Perhaps Ultrasone?

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #686 of 2,563
Yeah, they have an expensive dud in the stable, apparently. But they do also have the PROline2500 or whatever it's called now, and the PR0 650/750 which you can usually score at half price on Amazawn or wherever....I should quit while i'm not even ahead because Ultrasone is a specific design/sound and it's 50/50 that you'll like them or loathe them. I hate phones that change drastically when you adjust the positioning slightly.

I think some might categorise the GS/PS1000 as overpriced. But if you like that sound, it's not...really...maybe.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #687 of 2,563
I know for a fact that they do come in this box and they sound stunning. The price hasnt been fixed yet, but there's a very good chance its under US$1K. The quality of the prototype is so impressive that this piece will change the game.

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #688 of 2,563
Ouch, not the best way to establish credibility with a first post :). Are you closely related to the Oppo staff or?

In any case, if these are true to your words, it's certainly going to make for an interesting year 2014 in the world of heaphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back