Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Nov 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #646 of 2,563
Quite interesting to read the TWEETS here attacking the character of the writer and not his arguments.
More interesting are the responses from the partially or wholly--deaf who are first to take offense at their deafness' being exposed by their very choices in equipment...preferring the bright, diminishing what is not bright...for they can't hear the harmonics range.
It is like shining a bright light into the dark recesses wherefrom all sorts of things run for the exit.
Whenever those who prefer headbanging, metal and such "music" (the quotation mark is intentional) who have no idea what real music sounds like hit the truth like a brick wall, they'll be the first to object to the light being brightly lit.

It's just human nature I guess, like envy. And that intelligence has limits, while the opposite does not.
Honesty for many is not a strong suit.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #647 of 2,563
Your last post was clearly directed at Jude about head-fi in general...this is a thread dedicated to discussion of the upcoming Oppo PM-1 planar headphones. If you insist on breaking wind in here with irrelevant, self-important, high brow nonsense, people are probably not going to take kindly to it. It comes off as trolling and it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. 

So if you don't mind, let's get the thread back on track so that others can talk about this very exciting product that is soon to be released. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #648 of 2,563
  Keeping up with the Joneses hasn't been an Oppo trait.... why the presentation box? Don't like the direction the price would be heading with the pomp and presentation...... Actually, I kind of sense that the first phone, perhaps might be a first of many? Start at the top and trickle down?

Perhaps, yet they have judged that the top is where to start, they've "boxed" themselves into an expensive corner.

The original Grado RS-1 came in a fancy wood box...which was obviously included in the $695 retail price circa 1996. The HD600/650 came in a fancy box.

I'd pay $600 (if it sounds good) and ask for no box.....for it will rest on my noggin.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #649 of 2,563
  Quite interesting to read the TWEETS here attacking the character of the writer and not his arguments.
More interesting are the responses from the partially or wholly--deaf who are first to take offense at their deafness' being exposed by their very choices in equipment...preferring the bright, diminishing what is not bright...for they can't hear the harmonics range.
It is like shining a bright light into the dark recesses wherefrom all sorts of things run for the exit.
Whenever those who prefer headbanging, metal and such "music" (the quotation mark is intentional) who have no idea what real music sounds like hit the truth like a brick wall, they'll be the first to object to the light being brightly lit.

It's just human nature I guess, like envy. And that intelligence has limits, while the opposite does not.
Honesty for many is not a strong suit.

if your talking about your previous post, i'm sure the negative comments came because it was so off-topic that people were like wth does this have to do with the Oppo, or atleast for me it was.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #650 of 2,563

The original Grado RS-1 came in a fancy wood box...which was obviously included in the $695 retail price circa 1996. The HD600/650 came in a fancy box.

I'd pay $600 (if it sounds good) and ask for no box.....for it will rest on my noggin.

I used to not care a lick about boxes, but the pelican case that Audeze offers completely changed my mind. If Oppo is going to include a box as nice as that one looks, I wish they'd follow suit with how Audeze does it and offer a choice between a "show" box and a durable travel version. Especially considering that the PM-1s apparently won't require an amp to drive them, it would be nice to have a safe way to transport them, IMO. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #651 of 2,563
Ignore the troll, everyone...

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #652 of 2,563
X2 on the pelican travel case, I opt for that when I got the LCD 3, and I bought another one to house another headphone .. It will be good if they offer that pelican case oppo version. I will definitely opt for that.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #653 of 2,563
Nov 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #654 of 2,563

I used to not care a lick about boxes, but the pelican case that Audeze offers completely changed my mind. If Oppo is going to include a box as nice as that one looks, I wish they'd follow suit with how Audeze does it and offer a choice between a "show" box and a durable travel version. Especially considering that the PM-1s apparently won't require an amp to drive them, it would be nice to have a safe way to transport them, IMO. 

Great point on the travel case. I agree.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #655 of 2,563
I love the Audeze travel cases--way more useful than a fancy presentation box.  Looking at AnakChan's photos, the PM-1 doesn't have the superlux look--maybe it'll come in closer to the HE500 level (or below).  It also seems odd that a top line headphone would have miniplug jacks, but maybe that's me--I hate the things. Oppo could really shake things up if the PM-1 was a $500 set of cans and go head to head against the HE400 and HD650.  HiFiMAN is due for some new headphones in 2014 and I think we'll see a new planar magnetic from Sennheiser, so Oppo's got to find a sweet spot between performance and price.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #656 of 2,563
  ....Whenever those who prefer headbanging, metal and such "music" (the quotation mark is intentional) who have no idea what real music sounds like hit the truth like a brick wall, they'll be the first to object to the light being brightly lit...

Thanks for the post, would you care to share what exactly is real music? We could all learn a thing or two. - Thanks again Sir.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #657 of 2,563
You are correct. It was directed at Jude, not at you or anyone else. I covered items Jude covered here and elsewhere and had no intent to commenting on every post Jude covered. Your calling it "nonsense," highbrow, or trolling does not prove anything other but that you have a chip on your shoulder and are intolerant of anything other than single sentence tweets or opinion that diverges from yours. I am off this post right now, simply because I have no interest in continuing with this lack of information exchange. BTW, FYI, the Oppo can is not yet available. There is nothing to discuss until it is. But you are welcome to discuss it and I leave you the last word.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #658 of 2,563
Oh wait sir, pls don't go.. Your experience could be very valuable here.. Can u share some insight on what real music should sound like please?

So what headphone do u personally listen to and your favourite among them....

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #659 of 2,563
  You are correct. It was directed at Jude, not at you or anyone else. I covered items Jude covered here and elsewhere and had no intent to commenting on every post Jude covered. Your calling it "nonsense," highbrow, or trolling does not prove anything other but that you have a chip on your shoulder and are intolerant of anything other than single sentence tweets or opinion that diverges from yours. I am off this post right now, simply because I have no interest in continuing with this lack of information exchange. BTW, FYI, the Oppo can is not yet available. There is nothing to discuss until it is. But you are welcome to discuss it and I leave you the last word.

Thanks for the last word. Since you already know so much about the community here on head-fi and have made clear your views, I"ll just leave you with this. It's an except from the posting guidelines from the site wiki - something that even the...what did you call them..."half deaf teens whose eardrums have been blown out by years of high volume, distorted treble and bass boosted listening"...do a good job of following successfully . Maybe that will be the sort of exchange of information that you find more satisfying. 

"Respect the OP's (original poster's) intentions and try and keep comments on topic. If you feel a strong need to (continue to) discuss a particular, but off-topic subject in a thread, start your own thread and direct post a link in the thread rather than derail that thread. If it's not a discussion worthy for a thread, consider taking it to private messages."

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #660 of 2,563
For a start, try HP's list found in early The Absolute Sound and Stereophile magazines. For another sampling, you can frequent Carnegie Hall, the Concertgebouw or master classes at Julliard, which I have. Just to disabuse you of the notion that this comes from a snob, as it does not, I was a rock musician who played with Hendrix, Richie Havens, Bob Dylan and John Sebastian, and studied with Happy Traum and Atilla Zoller...among other things. Truthfully, it has become trying for me to respond to some comments who prefer one-upsmanship over substance (not you in particular because you have a right to ask) and because of the general lack of respect at this website that appears to be frequented by more than a few youth with hearing issues from not listening to real music; some of these gents whom are clearly overopinionated and undereducated - and too boot, have low self-esteem. Over and out, enjoy, and Peace!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back