OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Oct 1, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #4,819 of 4,883
Has anyone replaced the battery in the ha-2?

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #4,820 of 4,883
Has anyone replaced the battery in the ha-2?
I have not, but I'm pretty sure it involves getting the leather wrap off, which is glued on. So the juice might not be worth the squeeze here once you factor in your time and the cost of a new battery. Lots of good options in the portable dac/amp range since the HA-2 launch. Ifi, topping, xduoo, fiio...

Oct 5, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #4,822 of 4,883
Nothing will be as pretty IMO as the HA-2. I miss mine and wish they would do another run of them.
Unfortunately, Oppo shut down their audio division. You can still probably find unopened ha-2 on ebay. I recently got an unopened Oppo PM-2 a decent price.

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #4,824 of 4,883
I ordered a brand new HA-2 se recently in Germany!

Is there any suitable replacement for the HA-2 once it's not available anymore?

There are dozens of suitable replacements at this point. It all depends on how much you want to spend, the headphones you are going to be using, and to a lesser extent, your preferred sound signature, as well as features like balanced output or bluetooth. Ifi, topping, fiio, xduoo all make quality portable dac/amps, but there are many other solid brands as well.

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #4,825 of 4,883
I think I might have found a battery for the HA-2. The model number of the original battery is BLP591 and it's branded as Oppo. Of all the oneplus batteries out there, the oneplus 1 is the only one that will fit (BLP571). I went ahead and ordered one from Ebay. I'll keep you guys posted if the replacement works.

By the way, for those that are curious, the HA-2 won't work as a stand alone dac/amp with the battery removed. I'll keep this tread informed as to what happens.

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #4,826 of 4,883
I think I might have found a battery for the HA-2. The model number of the original battery is BLP591 and it's branded as Oppo. Of all the oneplus batteries out there, the oneplus 1 is the only one that will fit (BLP571). I went ahead and ordered one from Ebay. I'll keep you guys posted if the replacement works.

By the way, for those that are curious, the HA-2 won't work as a stand alone dac/amp with the battery removed. I'll keep this tread informed as to what happens.
Thanks for this, very useful for those of us that have an aging HA-2. While the battery in my HA-2 is hanging in there remarkably well and so far shows little or no sign of it's age, I know that can't last forever.

I wonder if you might also be so kind as to detail what steps you took to disassemble the HA-2? Was it a matter of using a sharp spatula-like device in combination with a little heat gun action to soften the glue that affixes the leather sheath, or was it more complicated?

Ideally I'd like to try to salvage the leather if possible, I'm curious if you did, or even tried to.

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #4,827 of 4,883
Thanks for this, very useful for those of us that have an aging HA-2. While the battery in my HA-2 is hanging in there remarkably well and so far shows little or no sign of it's age, I know that can't last forever.

I wonder if you might also be so kind as to detail what steps you took to disassemble the HA-2? Was it a matter of using a sharp spatula-like device in combination with a little heat gun action to soften the glue that affixes the leather sheath, or was it more complicated?

Ideally I'd like to try to salvage the leather if possible, I'm curious if you did, or even tried to.
I just pulled it off. And used duct tape to remove the adhesive residue. Leather is intact.

Accessing the battery is simple. I'll snap pics and document things when I receive my battery.

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #4,828 of 4,883
Slight correction, the blp573 will fit dimensionally but the, to my eye, the power connector doesn't look like it would reach the pcb.

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #4,829 of 4,883
oppo ha-2 battery replacement update: tracking has my battery coming in today. *fingers crossed*

I'm eager to resurrect this dac/amp as I have a high-ish impedance/low-ish sensitivity earbud coming in soon from @assassin10000!

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #4,830 of 4,883
Unfortunately, Oppo shut down their audio division. You can still probably find unopened ha-2 on ebay. I recently got an unopened Oppo PM-2 a decent price.

A bit late but the actual story is not that simple.

Oppo Digital, the actual original company that bears the Oppo name is an U.S. based company with an Chinese manufacturing arm that produced Bluray player (under Oppo brand as well as an OEM supplier), plus other audio products (including headphones and HA-2). Later the founder, which is a Chinese that immigrated to the U.S., went back to China and started the Oppo the Chinese smartphone company (*full name: Guangdong Oppo Mobile Telecommunications Co.) - the two companies, Oppo Digital and Oppo the smartphone company, cross licensed the Oppo brand. However, despite being found and owned by the same person, the two companies do not own share of each other and are entirely two separated legal and financial entities.

So the real story is that Oppo Digital, the U.S. company, went out of business a few years ago, but Oppo the Chinese smartphone company continues on. There is never an unified Oppo company and thus it was not a case of audio division being shutdown).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back