OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Apr 13, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #4,366 of 4,883
Well folks, day 2 of commutes with the single layer of copper tape and no dropouts.

Who knows. Maybe there are other factors in play - all I know is that this seems to be working.

This is what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I1XNY1E

I have not tried any other brands, I am not an engineer. All I did was google for EMI shielding tape, watched a few videos about this tape being used in guitars, and tried it. Before tape, the Oppo dropped out every day in the exact same spots on my commute. With tape, it's not happening.

iPhone 7 plus, latest OS, using the Oppo short lightning cable with the Oppo attached to the back of my phone. My phone case is the same 0.3mm plastic eBay case, which had remained a constant. I don't notice any drop in signal since the Oppo-with-tape does not block the phones antennas any more than it did before.

I hope this helps someone out there.

Apologies if you've already answered this, but were you streaming music or listening to music already on the phone?

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #4,369 of 4,883
Dragonfly Red with CCK3 = fail.

Drop. Drop. Drop.

Copper shield away, but for my phone it is clearly a lack of communication caused by iOS 10.3.1.

Wondering now about switching to Onkyo DP-X1.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #4,370 of 4,883
Colin Elder said the following in the Oppo HA-2 dropouts on iOS 10.3  thread:

"I have the same issue with both the usb2 and 3 lightning connectors both with a chord mojo and a dragonfly red under ios 10.3 on an iphone 7 plus - both worked fine with 10.2.1. I have now upgraded to 10.3.1 and now the mojo doesn't work at all - i just get the message that the accessory uses too much power. "

You might want to compare notes with him.

THIS is getting to the heart of the issue, at least as to my current knowledge. As I understand, it has nothing to do with "interference" but rather has to do with USB port power management in iOS 10.x.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #4,371 of 4,883
Dragonfly Red with CCK3 = fail.

Drop. Drop. Drop.

Copper shield away, but for my phone it is clearly a lack of communication caused by iOS 10.3.1.

Wondering now about switching to Onkyo DP-X1.

If I were you, I would wait until Apple comes out with a fix.

Have you tried Onkyo HF player on your iDevice? It is my understanding that it uses its own USB driver to communicate with outboard DAC's, and not the native iOS driver. Hence, Onkyo HF player is able to transport hi-res and DSD files to USB DACs rather than iOS's limitation of 24/48.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #4,372 of 4,883
OK - for a second week, I used my HA-2 on my relatively short weekly subway commute (15 minutes each way) under Manhattan's East Side. So a total of an hour of traveling on the 4 and 6 lines.  No drops or other problems.

I am running iOS 10.2.1 on a 6S and playing local music through iTunes.  On my most recent commute I even tried downloading e-mail while underground, (with limited success but that didn't affect the music).

The two units were flat against one another in my pocket.  I was using a generic 4" connector.  No special shielding.  I do keep my iPhone in a run of the mill case.

Inertianinja - what cell service do you use? I'm on AT&T.

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #4,374 of 4,883
I checked in with Oppo and have a little more information to share about the issue. Oppo's engineers are investigating a solution but do not have one yet. The disconnect issue is related to a change made by the iOS 10.X update to how iOS handles the outgoing USB data signal from the iPhone. Anecdotal evidence shows that when the iPhone is doing something that consumes more electrical power such as sending or receiving messages, the USB data link is more likely to be interrupted. A longer cable seems to help. That might be due to less signal reflection or better impedance matching than the short cable. After the iOS 10.3 update, even longer cables start to show the same issue.

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #4,375 of 4,883
I checked in with Oppo and have a little more information to share about the issue. Oppo's engineers are investigating a solution but do not have one yet. The disconnect issue is related to a change made by the iOS 10.X update to how iOS handles the outgoing USB data signal from the iPhone. Anecdotal evidence shows that when the iPhone is doing something that consumes more electrical power such as sending or receiving messages, the USB data link is more likely to be interrupted. A longer cable seems to help. That might be due to less signal reflection or better impedance matching than the short cable. After the iOS 10.3 update, even longer cables start to show the same issue.

Based on the above, I felt it might be helpful ("might" being the critical word) for me to provide a link to the cable I've been using - with 10.2 as I never updated.  It is this.  Note the less then stellar reviews, but mine charges fine.  And it is much thicker than most other 4" cables such as the one that comes with the HA-2.  Maybe that makes a difference.

Actually this might be the cheapest way to try it out:

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #4,376 of 4,883
I don't know about the LCD-3, but they work like a dream with my Audeze EL-8 Open. When I'm listening to music I usually put my phone into Airplane mode to avoid being disturbed. I seem to have avoided lots of problems with loss of connection between iPhones and Oppo HA-2 and HA-2SE by doing this!  

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #4,379 of 4,883
Well, I upgraded my phone to iOS 10.3.1 and I can confirm I get the dropout. I can reset the connection by turning the HA-2SE off and on again. This happens with the LTE antenna active and in airplane mode.

May 3, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #4,380 of 4,883
Having the same drop issues and received the same response on potential fixes (long cord, leave in charging mode,set Airplane mode), but they also added that since I am in the amazon return window they recommend returning the HA- 2SE because they are not able to confirm a fix is or will ever be coming. Very disappointing since I really like the sound (amazing) and I even went all in and ordered the Oppo PM 3 headphones which also sound great~!

I did see the Peachtree Swift on amazon and the MOJO. Since it looks like I may be starting over - Any recommendations for a different DAC/Amp/Headphones combination in this price range ($700 or so)? I need my Iphone 7 to be my primary source. Looking to stay with closed back and one thing I did notice is the DAC in the HA-2se can be a little "Bright" on the top end.

I also called Apple and started a case for the issue. Interestingly the CS at Apple rep claimed he had not heard of the issues and that there was nothing in his documentation about it. They sent my info on to Engineering with a most comforting "not sure when or if they will get back to you". I also added feedback (apple.com/feedback) as the CS rep suggested and then put the whole sad story down again in the Apple CS survey note section they sent me today.

The High Gain "fix" is interesting. My drops can be as long as a few hours apart but it just stinks when it happen as it takes away from the listening experience I was will to part with my big $$$$ for. Clock is Ticking to be able to return both items. I appreciate any additional info on what is working for folks out there - Thanks!!

I just do not want to be kicking myself next month if it gets worse.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back