OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jan 31, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #4,111 of 4,883
I do not like Mojo's lights and functionality or the look of the device so I chose Oppo.

But I had been waiting on the DACAMP ever since RHA had a page for it on their site in late 2015.

I had to try it and now can't live without it.

I hear you on the Mojo. I am sure it is a great sounding device, but I can't get past the lights and form of the Mojo.

There are plenty of shiny objects, and more coming down the road every day, to vie for our $$$. I'm sure I'll move on to other gear in time, but for now (now being TODAY!) I'm good with then HA-2SE.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #4,112 of 4,883
TimeLord-

Regarding your impressions of the HA-2se, do you still feel the same way regarding the dac section compared to the HA-2? The reason being I have the HA-2 and am a sucker for detail. I gather the consensus is the HA-2 is a decent 'upgrade', though minimal, over the HA-2.

With the DAC section isolated, my opinion has not changed regarding the SE. Taken together as a complete unit, the SE is an improvement over the original. I liked the form factor enough to gamble on the SE making enough SQ improvements. One of the things that I was looking for was a quieter noise floor and the SE reduced hiss by at least a half compared to the original. Unfortunately the hiss is very much audible with sensitive IEMs. Overall, the SE turned out to be a small improvement over the original and I'm not sure it makes sense to upgrade to it.

As for me, even the great form factor wasn't enough to keep the HA-2/SE as my go to travel amp/DAC. I have switched to using the Sony PHA-3 as my travel amp/DAC, even though it is bigger. With its balanced output, nearly silent amp, and better DAC implementation, it is a nice upgrade from the Oppo units.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #4,113 of 4,883
  As for me, even the great form factor wasn't enough to keep the HA-2/SE as my go to travel amp/DAC. I have switched to using the Sony PHA-3 as my travel amp/DAC, even though it is bigger. With its balanced output, nearly silent amp, and better DAC implementation, it is a nice upgrade from the Oppo units.

Is it really fair comparing a $300 device with a $1,000 device?

At MSRP of 3X the cost of the Oppo, it had better be a nice upgrade!
confused_face.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #4,114 of 4,883

Is it really fair comparing a $300 device with a $1,000 device?

At MSRP of 3X the cost of the Oppo, it had better be a nice upgrade!
confused_face.gif

I wasn't trying to do a direct comparison of the two; just mentioning where I am today.

I had both the HA-2 and the PHA-3 at the same time when I got the SE. I really loved the thin form factor of the Oppo. However, when the SE didn't really make a significant leap forward, I moved on to something with better sound quality, even though it is not as sleek.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #4,115 of 4,883

I wasn't trying to do a direct comparison of the two; just mentioning where I am today.

I had both the HA-2 and the PHA-3 at the same time when I got the SE. I really loved the thin form factor of the Oppo. However, when the SE didn't really make a significant leap forward, I moved on to something with better sound quality, even though it is not as sleek.

Fair enough...............

You have had the original HA-2 and the HA-2SE so your advice and opinion to folks wondering if the SE would be a step up for them is truly appreciated.

From a purely audio standpoint, I'm sure the Mojo, RHA, your PHA-3 (and many others) are better DAC / amps, but  at 2X-3X or more the cost.
From a cost standpoint, bang for my $300, I am very happy with the Oppo!

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #4,116 of 4,883
With the DAC section isolated, my opinion has not changed regarding the SE. Taken together as a complete unit, the SE is an improvement over the original. I liked the form factor enough to gamble on the SE making enough SQ improvements. One of the things that I was looking for was a quieter noise floor and the SE reduced hiss by at least a half compared to the original. Unfortunately the hiss is very much audible with sensitive IEMs. Overall, the SE turned out to be a small improvement over the original and I'm not sure it makes sense to upgrade to it.

Thanks for the input. I'm a sucker for improvements, but was holding off with this one. I was wondering why, in comparing (and isolating) the dac's between the ha-2 & ha-2se, that in the intitial comparison the se wasn't quite holding its own. I have the Grace Design m920 (in conjunction with the Akg K812's) and definately enjoy the implementation of the Sabre within that unit. However, with the sleek portability of the ha-2, the quality of sound (for me) didn't have to be the 'best of the best' because of having my desktop setup. It did have to be really good, and if I could have 'better' if the reasonable improvement would be there to be had, I would take it. However, not if it would be a downgrade in sound quality. I'm probably splitting hairs, here, I understand. The way it currently is with only the ha-2, everything (for me) is phenomenal. Less noise would be a plus, for sure, but not a dealbreaker.

As nwavesailor said:
"From a cost standpoint, bang for my $300, I am very happy with the Oppo!"

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #4,118 of 4,883
Anyone drive a focal Elear or hard to drive headphones with these? Is it possible?

The Elear is not very hard to drive at 80 Ohms of impedance and 104 dB/mW of sensitivity. For comparison, the HA-2 is able to drive the MrSpeakers Alpha Prime which has 50 Ohms of impedance and only 90 dB/mW of sensitivity.

You won't have any problems driving the Elear with the HA-2.

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #4,119 of 4,883
I've had my HA-2SE for a few days (after upgrading from the original) and I can confirm that there are pretty bad connection issues with the iPhone (7 plus in my case).

My iPhone keeps disconnecting the HA-2SE and reconnecting it every few seconds. Other users had mentioned this might be due to signal issues with the phone finding data networks and I have found it worse in particular locations where I get bad data reception. I have also found that I don't get any issues when the phone is on airplane mode.

Strangely when using DSD on the Onkyo HF Player sometimes when the HA-2SE gets reconnected the phone fails to recognise it as a DSD comparable device.

I don't get any of these issues when connected to my iPad or Mac.

I hope it is a iOS issue that gets resolved soon. Considering returning the HA-2SE as it stands :frowning2:

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #4,120 of 4,883
I've had my HA-2SE for a few days (after upgrading from the original) and I can confirm that there are pretty bad connection issues with the iPhone (7 plus in my case).

My iPhone keeps disconnecting the HA-2SE and reconnecting it every few seconds. Other users had mentioned this might be due to signal issues with the phone finding data networks and I have found it worse in particular locations where I get bad data reception. I have also found that I don't get any issues when the phone is on airplane mode.

Strangely when using DSD on the Onkyo HF Player sometimes when the HA-2SE gets reconnected the phone fails to recognise it as a DSD comparable device.

I don't get any of these issues when connected to my iPad or Mac.

I hope it is a iOS issue that gets resolved soon. Considering returning the HA-2SE as it stands :frowning2:

I had disconnection issues in the beginning with my iphone 6s as well. What worked for me was when i bought the short right angled lightning cable from moon audio. Specifically the silver dragon one. And have not had disconnection issues since no matter how much it moves in my pocket. Hope that helps

Cheers

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #4,121 of 4,883
I had disconnection issues in the beginning with my iphone 6s as well. What worked for me was when i bought the short right angled lightning cable from moon audio. Specifically the silver dragon one. And have not had disconnection issues since no matter how much it moves in my pocket. Hope that helps

Cheers

Thanks for the advice but its definitely not the cable - it happens when the HA-2SE is static, just sitting there on the table. I have tried differentness cables just to be sure and there is definitely something else going on.

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #4,122 of 4,883
Could anybody comment HA-2SE sound signature? It is bright, warm or neutral? Punchy or smooth? I consider to pair it together with ATH-MSR7. HA-2SE would be connected via USB to my desktop/laptop. Listened music is in flac.

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #4,123 of 4,883
  Thanks for the advice but its definitely not the cable - it happens when the HA-2SE is static, just sitting there on the table. I have tried differentness cables just to be sure and there is definitely something else going on.

I did a lot of testing here. The problem is related to the phone and antenna power (which goes up when it tries to change cells in areas with bad coverage). It basically made the HA2(SE) impossible for me to use on longer trips (I travel 150km by train almost each day - it cuts out roughly 20 times during the trip, especially under long tunnels with little or no coverage).
I have had several iPhone models (5s, 6 and 7) and both the HA2 and HA2SE. The same problem with all - easy to replicate if you put and stack the phone and HA2 together in a faraday-like container. 

If you use a longer cable (just the basic iPhone USB charger one) and keep the devices at least 10-15 cm apart there isn't any issues. Only when they are stacked together (like you usually would). When it cuts out you can also hear the typical "gsm interference noise" in background if you have highly sensitive headphones/iems.

So it's a shielding issue on the HA2 (and SE). If you are travelling a lot I can not recommend the HA2(SE). If you are living in a big city with good coverage - not a problem.

I'm going to give it one last chance before I sell my HA2SE (or tell Oppo to give me a refund) - by putting aluminium foil between the phone and HA-2 when stacking and seeing if that helps. :-/

I love the HA2(SE) - it's form factor and functionality. But I'm close to buying a dacamp or mojo instead because of this... (or just giving up on portable audio and just use the Apple mini-jack converter when travelling). :)

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #4,124 of 4,883

I did a lot of testing here. The problem is related to the phone and antenna power (which goes up when it tries to change cells in areas with bad coverage). It basically made the HA2(SE) impossible for me to use on longer trips (I travel 150km by train almost each day - it cuts out roughly 20 times during the trip, especially under long tunnels with little or no coverage).
I have had several iPhone models (5s, 6 and 7) and both the HA2 and HA2SE. The same problem with all - easy to replicate if you put and stack the phone and HA2 together in a faraday-like container. 

If you use a longer cable (just the basic iPhone USB charger one) and keep the devices at least 10-15 cm apart there isn't any issues. Only when they are stacked together (like you usually would). When it cuts out you can also hear the typical "gsm interference noise" in background if you have highly sensitive headphones/iems.

So it's a shielding issue on the HA2 (and SE). If you are travelling a lot I can not recommend the HA2(SE). If you are living in a big city with good coverage - not a problem.

I'm going to give it one last chance before I sell my HA2SE (or tell Oppo to give me a refund) - by putting aluminium foil between the phone and HA-2 when stacking and seeing if that helps. :-/

I love the HA2(SE) - it's form factor and functionality. But I'm close to buying a dacamp or mojo instead because of this... (or just giving up on portable audio and just use the Apple mini-jack converter when travelling). :)

This is exactly what happpens.

I contacted Oppo support in the UK initially  thinking I had a faulty right angle cable as it was fine with my longer cable. They sent me a new right angle but had exactly the same issue. Was then advised that it seems to be an issue with iOS which needs to be addressed.

EDIT - One thing I should add is that it does work fine in airplane mode but not a great solution if you want to stream your music over a data connection.  Wifi on is fine, it is just cellular that gives the issue.  I've gone back (reluctantly) to using a longer cable  to avoid stacking. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #4,125 of 4,883
I thought I'd share some pictures of the best option I found for strapping up to the HA-2 to an iPhone 6/7 plus.

It's a (slightly modified) JimmyCase that is intended to hold credit cards. perfect fit in my opinion :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back