OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jan 22, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #4,096 of 4,883
  I need help with this too :frowning2:

It only shows as 16/32bits on OSX (I know the Oppo specs says 16/24/32).
However is that really a problem? Setting it at the highest bit depth (32bits) will always be preferable no matter the (lower) bit depth of your source - you should however always match the sample/bit rate of your source file.
Going for a higher bit depth doesn't make it loose quality, but you gain better resolution if you are not running at 100% volume as you won't "loose" bits.
I usually run it at 44.1/32bit as my source is mainly Tidal lossless at 44.1/16bit.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #4,097 of 4,883
Could someone point out the differences between MOJO & HA-2 SE. I ordered Beyerdynamic L5p and shops is ok to make a bundle deal. I would get the HA-2 SE for 140USD or MOJO for 350USD on top of the L5p. In both cases this seems a good deal. Only issue I live in Singapore and can't find a shop that demo's the OPPO.

I was able to listen to the MOJO and honestly, the sound is better, more soundstage but I would not say this drastically improves the quality at a point of no-return. FYI, I would use this mainly at work and on-the-go.

My question however is how different the HA-2 SE sound and if it would be a good fit with the L5p's.

Thanks for the input.

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #4,098 of 4,883
Could someone point out the differences between MOJO & HA-2 SE. I ordered Beyerdynamic L5p and shops is ok to make a bundle deal. I would get the HA-2 SE for 140USD or MOJO for 350USD on top of the L5p. In both cases this seems a good deal. Only issue I live in Singapore and can't find a shop that demo's the OPPO.

I was able to listen to the MOJO and honestly, the sound is better, more soundstage but I would not say this drastically improves the quality at a point of no-return. FYI, I would use this mainly at work and on-the-go.

My question however is how different the HA-2 SE sound and if it would be a good fit with the L5p's.

Thanks for the input.

This may be useful to you:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831870/chord-mojo-vs-oppo-ha-2se-comparison-review

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #4,100 of 4,883

I don't have the HD600 but I do have the new HD6xx and the HA-2 and the HD6xx scales fantastically with the HA-2. I would imagine the HA-2SE would even be better, although I haven't heard that one yet.

Although I bought the HA-2 to be portable solution paired with my iPhone 6, lately I've been using it more connected out of my (5k) iMac and it is a wonderful combination. I also have an HA-1 connected to another computer, a MacMini used as a server in another room. 

Most of my listening has been with Tidal HiFi/Roon and local files. 

Call me crazy but I think I like the pairing of the HA-2 w/ the HD6xx more than the HA-1. I was primarily using the HA-2 w/ my PM-3's (when not listening to HA-1/PM-1) but I've grown so fond of the Sennheiser with the Oppo, the PM-3 only gets head-time when i'm on the go because it's a closed can.

I would be shocked if you weren't satisfied with a HD600/HA-2(SE) combo.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #4,101 of 4,883

I don't have the HD600 but I do have the new HD6xx and the HA-2 and the HD6xx scales fantastically with the HA-2. I would imagine the HA-2SE would even be better, although I haven't heard that one yet.

Although I bought the HA-2 to be portable solution paired with my iPhone 6, lately I've been using it more connected out of my (5k) iMac and it is a wonderful combination. I also have an HA-1 connected to another computer, a MacMini used as a server in another room. 

Most of my listening has been with Tidal HiFi/Roon and local files. 

Call me crazy but I think I like the pairing of the HA-2 w/ the HD6xx more than the HA-1. I was primarily using the HA-2 w/ my PM-3's (when not listening to HA-1/PM-1) but I've grown so fond of the Sennheiser with the Oppo, the PM-3 only gets head-time when i'm on the go because it's a closed can.

I would be shocked if you weren't satisfied with a HD600/HA-2(SE) combo.

Wow! That is a ton of information. Thank you very much! I think I will take the plunge. gracias!!!

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #4,102 of 4,883

De nada.

Don't forget to post your impressions. 

L3000.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #4,105 of 4,883
Just got an SE in the mail about a week ago and can't believe how good it sounds!   Right now I have my iPhone6 with Sony V900's and some cheap Soul Republic earbuds but they sound amazing!   My 1More triple driver's are coming in the mail and can't wait to hear how they sound with this!

Thumbs up (So far!)

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #4,107 of 4,883
nwavesailor,

In direct comparison to DACAMP with everything flat (no EQ or bass boost), the RHA is more accurate sonically and less compressed at any gain setting. The Mid Gain of DACAMP gets almost just as loud as full volume with the Oppo on High Gain.

I was a firm believer that for the form factor and leather covering, the HA-2SE was unbeaten in ease of use and sound for under $500.

But for only $250 more, I would rather have a more accurate sounding portable device, throw in EQ capability, and the RHA delivers that.

You still have time to buy a DACAMP and hear what I'm hearing for yourself in time to return the Oppo.

Yes the Oppo is lighter, thinner and does sound great but being an audio engineer, I need accuracy over everything else.

The RHA OTG cable (have not tried the lightning) sounds better than the Oppo OTG short and 1ft. cables.

Just food for thought...

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #4,108 of 4,883
@nwavesailor,

In direct comparison to DACAMP with everything flat (no EQ or bass boost), the RHA is more accurate sonically and less compressed at any gain setting. The Mid Gain of DACAMP gets almost just as loud as full volume with the Oppo on High Gain.

I was a firm believer that for the form factor and leather covering, the HA-2SE was unbeaten in ease of use and sound for under $500.

But for only $250 more, I would rather have a more accurate sounding portable device, throw in EQ capability, and the RHA delivers that.

You still have time to buy a DACAMP and hear what I'm hearing for yourself in time to return the Oppo.

Yes the Oppo is lighter, thinner and does sound great but being an audio engineer, I need accuracy over everything else.

The RHA OTG cable (have not tried the lightning) sounds better than the Oppo OTG short and 1ft. cables.

Just food for thought...

Perhaps I will drop another $250 or more down the road on another device but for now, I am happy. The Oppo charges my iPod while both are playing music so that is a nice feature for me. I checked the RHA details and it appears it also will charge, but not while using both devices.

I would be thrilled to have a mo betta' sounding DAC / amp and the RHA may indeed be that device, but for now, I am keeping the Oppo!

Upgrade-itis will strike soon enough................it ALWAYS does!!!

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #4,109 of 4,883
Perhaps I will drop another $250 or more down the road on another device but for now, I am happy. The Oppo charges my iPod while both are playing music so that is a nice feature for me. I checked the RHA details and it appears it also will charge, but not while using both devices.

I would be thrilled to have a mo betta' sounding DAC / amp and the RHA may indeed be that device, but for now, I am keeping the Oppo!

Upgrade-itis will strike soon enough................it ALWAYS does!!!

I do not like Mojo's lights and functionality or the look of the device so I chose Oppo.

But I had been waiting on the DACAMP ever since RHA had a page for it on their site in late 2015.

I had to try it and now can't live without it.

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #4,110 of 4,883
TimeLord-

Regarding your impressions of the HA-2se, do you still feel the same way regarding the dac section compared to the HA-2? The reason being I have the HA-2 and am a sucker for detail. I gather the consensus is the HA-2 is a decent 'upgrade', though minimal, over the HA-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back