OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Aug 15, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #3,556 of 4,883
  Hello, 

Just purchased the HA-2 to go along with my MBPr and iPhone 6s + at the office. The question I had was if anyone is using iOS 10 beta with their devices? 

The reason I'm asking is because I'm hearing quite a bit of static/choppiness listening to any song via iTunes Music + music completely stopping/device disconnected. (Still trying the airplane solution that was brought up in previous threads but can't have my iPhone offline for reasons that most can understand) 

Using the HA-2 with my MBPr - I have not had any issues using the cable provided by OPPO both on macOS/Windows. 

I've used both cables (USB>Lighting) provided by OPPO along with the Zeskit Lightning cable that has been showcased throughout this forum with the same outcome.

(Reading 20 or so pages back, it seems others ran into this issue with iOS 9 beta so I might roll back my iPhone just to see if the issue resolves itself?)

On top of that, if my iPhone goes idle 5/7 minutes (stop/pause) the HA-2 goes offline and I have to turn off/on to re-engage connectivity? Is this normal? 

Figured I would leave a comment on the board and see if anyone is running into the same issue as I am. Most likely reach out to OPPO but wanted to cover my bases. Seems like they have a strong customer support team and hope to have this resolved before my trip next week.

It's been a pleasure to read everything that is available on head-fi boards and this being my first DAC/AMP purchase, I'm pretty excited! 

Cheers. 

No issues like the ones you've mentioned. I'm assuming it has to do with the beta version of iOS.

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #3,557 of 4,883
  Hello, 

Just purchased the HA-2 to go along with my MBPr and iPhone 6s + at the office. The question I had was if anyone is using iOS 10 beta with their devices? 

The reason I'm asking is because I'm hearing quite a bit of static/choppiness listening to any song via iTunes Music + music completely stopping/device disconnected. (Still trying the airplane solution that was brought up in previous threads but can't have my iPhone offline for reasons that most can understand) 

Using the HA-2 with my MBPr - I have not had any issues using the cable provided by OPPO both on macOS/Windows. 

I've used both cables (USB>Lighting) provided by OPPO along with the Zeskit Lightning cable that has been showcased throughout this forum with the same outcome.

(Reading 20 or so pages back, it seems others ran into this issue with iOS 9 beta so I might roll back my iPhone just to see if the issue resolves itself?)

On top of that, if my iPhone goes idle 5/7 minutes (stop/pause) the HA-2 goes offline and I have to turn off/on to re-engage connectivity? Is this normal? 

Figured I would leave a comment on the board and see if anyone is running into the same issue as I am. Most likely reach out to OPPO but wanted to cover my bases. Seems like they have a strong customer support team and hope to have this resolved before my trip next week.

It's been a pleasure to read everything that is available on head-fi boards and this being my first DAC/AMP purchase, I'm pretty excited! 

Cheers. 

On the chord Mojo thread, there were reports of problems with the  iOSv9.3 beta http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/10170#post_12293581

and now similar issues with the  iOS v10 beta http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/20955#post_12775230     

I think the best advice is to flag your issues up on the beta test website, so that the coders can get to work. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #3,558 of 4,883

The choppiness sounds like beta software issues.

The connectivity dropping out when the iPhone goes idle is normal behavior. The iPhone is dropping the connection to save the battery power. It's a bit annoying, but I've learned to unplug the cable and quickly reconnect to re-establish the sound without having to turn off then turn on and readjust the volume on the HA-2.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #3,559 of 4,883

On the chord Mojo thread, there were reports of problems with the  iOSv9.3 beta http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/10170#post_12293581

and now similar issues with the  iOS v10 beta http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/20955#post_12775230     

I think the best advice is to flag your issues up on the beta test website, so that the coders can get to work. 

Thanks for posting this. I'm having the exact same issues as described by 'xeroian' in regards to his description. Will rollback today and/or I have a iPhone 6s work mobile w/ iOS 9 (latest public release) to try out.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #3,560 of 4,883
The choppiness sounds like beta software issues.

The connectivity dropping out when the iPhone goes idle is normal behavior. The iPhone is dropping the connection to save the battery power. It's a bit annoying, but I've learned to unplug the cable and quickly reconnect to re-establish the sound without having to turn off then turn on and readjust the volume on the HA-2.

Thank you. I'll have to follow the same workflow and/or just turn off the device when I step away from my desk.

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #3,561 of 4,883
I run my HA-2 from a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2" tablet.  (And very occassionally from an Oppo R7s phone).  Pair with either my Oppo PM-3 headphones, or use the HA-2 line out to the aux line in in my car.  Software is the full UAPP app.

For first few months I frequently needed to top up the battery in the HA-2 after say 2-3 hrs or more of use.  The battery indicator on the HA-2 would go down to about 3 or 2 green lights.  Seemed fair enough.

But in the last few months of use, even extreme use, (3-5 hrs non-stop) the HA-2 indicator lights continues to show a full charge.  Pressing the Indicator button confirms 4 green led lights on, for a full charge.

It keeps working, suggesting it is not low on power, but have not used the charger for weeks!!!  I mean, it is great, but does not seem right.  The tablet certainly loses it's charge after a 2-5 hr session!!

Another issue (and here I suspect the player app or my tablet) is lately the music occassionally seems to get stuck on the same 4-5 bars, as if I was playing a vinyl and the needle got stuck in the groove!!  Sometimes it comes good by itself, sometimes I have to force the player ahead of the current playing point.

Ideas?  Comments??

Extra bit of info:  most of the time I access my music via wifi from a hard drive connected to my router, or from a 64Gb micro sd card in the tablet, but occassionally I connect my tablet to a (un-powered) usb hub, and connect a portable HD and the HA-2 to the usb hub.  With this scenario, the tablet really does lose a lot of its charge (as would be expected) but the HA-2 just goes on and on.  Have not had to charge for weeks!!

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #3,562 of 4,883
MadAudio Are you sure you are not charging the HA-2 from the tablet? That would explain the power drain on he tablet and the seemingly infinite battery life of the HA-2.

Or it could be magic and you can probably sell that HA-2 back to Oppo for a 7 figure sum. I'm certain they'd be interested in an amp that doesn't require charging... :)

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #3,563 of 4,883
I wondered the same myelf.  But I thought that with android tablets, the usb connection could be used either as an on-the-go connection, or as a charging connection, but could not perform both functions at the same time.  And as I said in my earlier post, the HA-2 always showed a charge loss during my first few months of use.  Hence my worry that perhaps the HA-2 was not correctly displaying its charge level when the charge level button was pushed.

One thought has just occurred to me:  initially I only used the Oppo-supplied short micro-usb cable to connect tablet to HA-2.  More recently I bought a full USB 3 to Micro-USB cable.  My Note Pro tablet's usb port is a two-plugs-in-one USB 3 connection.  Maybe as you say, this type of connection can allow a charge out while also acting as an on-the-go connection.  I have also just realised that my thinking was perhaps a little confused when voicing the belief, in my first para above, that the usb port can only function as either OTG or charge, because that is true for an in-going charge to the tablet, but not necessarily true for an out-going charge.  In fact that is how usb devices that are not self-powered get their charge, from the host device.  (I now nominate myself as GOOSE thinker!!).  Maybe the fuller usb 3 connector I am using allows a higher charge into the HA-2, allowing it to more or less stay fully charged??

I am not a techo, so this whole change in behaviour on the part of the HA-2 pretty much staying fully charged has me confused.  I might revert to the original micro-usb to micro-usb otg cable and see what happens.

Anyone have any thoughts on my second problem, the getting-stuck-in-the-groove syndrome of suddenly repeating a few bars over and over??

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #3,564 of 4,883
  I wondered the same myelf.  But I thought that with android tablets, the usb connection could be used either as an on-the-go connection, or as a charging connection, but could not perform both functions at the same time.  And as I said in my earlier post, the HA-2 always showed a charge loss during my first few months of use.  Hence my worry that perhaps the HA-2 was not correctly displaying its charge level when the charge level button was pushed.

One thought has just occurred to me:  initially I only used the Oppo-supplied short micro-usb cable to connect tablet to HA-2.  More recently I bought a full USB 3 to Micro-USB cable.  My Note Pro tablet's usb port is a two-plugs-in-one USB 3 connection.  Maybe as you say, this type of connection can allow a charge out while also acting as an on-the-go connection.  I have also just realised that my thinking was perhaps a little confused when voicing the belief, in my first para above, that the usb port can only function as either OTG or charge, because that is true for an in-going charge to the tablet, but not necessarily true for an out-going charge.  In fact that is how usb devices that are not self-powered get their charge, from the host device.  (I now nominate myself as GOOSE thinker!!).  Maybe the fuller usb 3 connector I am using allows a higher charge into the HA-2, allowing it to more or less stay fully charged??

I am not a techo, so this whole change in behaviour on the part of the HA-2 pretty much staying fully charged has me confused.  I might revert to the original micro-usb to micro-usb otg cable and see what happens.

Anyone have any thoughts on my second problem, the getting-stuck-in-the-groove syndrome of suddenly repeating a few bars over and over??

I just picked up my new Note 7 and was hoping I could get my HA-2 to work with it. I tried using my micro USB - micro USB with the attached micro USB - USB C connector however it doesn't work at all.
I then tried my standard charging cable, USB A to microUSB and put the micro-USB in the Oppo and put the USB C adapater on the USB end, this worked however it now charges the Oppo from the phone! So yep, can confirm your current method is powering your Oppo.

I am wondering if I try a USB A connector to USB C and use the 'A' port from the Oppo if this will have the same effect?

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #3,565 of 4,883
Update: managed to recreate the RFI issue, although I basically have to have the music off to hear it. I'm suspecting that it enters through the headphone jack/cable. Reason for this is because this is the part closest to the antennae (on an iPhone 6), and also because if I move the amp 5 cm down, it basically stops. If it was the amp itself that had an RFI issue, the issue ought to remain the same even when moved.

Now I just have to find a way to shield the headphone jack from the wireless signal. :)

Edit: it sounds pretty darn brilliant, by the way.... :)
i think thats is a very good analysis. Ihave just bought shielded lightning cable just to be sure. I have also preordered a furutech 3.5mm jack with stainless housing and also some dieelectric clothe material but havent arrived. I was thinking to re terminate then to wrap it up with the dielectric and secure the the whole jack with shrink tube.

Hopefully all works out. Can be very annoying that rfi

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #3,566 of 4,883
i think thats is a very good analysis. Ihave just bought shielded lightning cable just to be sure. I have also preordered a furutech 3.5mm jack with stainless housing and also some dieelectric clothe material but havent arrived. I was thinking to re terminate then to wrap it up with the dielectric and secure the the whole jack with shrink tube.

Hopefully all works out. Can be very annoying that rfi

I had a similar discussion a few weeks ago with someone on the Mojo thread, and we too narrowed the root cause down to his headphone cable acting as an aerial for RFI. He started to look for shielded hp cables, but found none, so was considering making his own DIY cable. I have heard nothing more from him about the DIY cable.

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #3,567 of 4,883

I had a similar discussion a few weeks ago with someone on the Mojo thread, and we too narrowed the root cause down to his headphone cable acting as an aerial for RFI. He started to look for shielded hp cables, but found none, so was considering making his own DIY cable. I have heard nothing more from him about the DIY cable.

Not a super expert on RFI, but would it help if you shielded it and then managed to ground it to the amp chassis? I'm thinking some kind of metal brush that would just touch the chassis when headphone is plugged in or something..

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #3,568 of 4,883
Quote:  Rickydenim
 I tried using my micro USB - micro USB with the attached micro USB - USB C connector however it doesn't work at all.

I have no savvy with the newer Samsung Notes, nor the USB C connector, but one thing I do know:  whatever cable/connector that you plug directly into the android device, it must be an OTG (on-the-go) connector.  What you connect after that does not matter - but the direct plug-in must be OTG, regardless of whether you want to connect a USB flash drive, hard drive, DAC, usb hub, whatever.

If that first direct connector is not OTG, no attached devices will work through the USB port.  This may be why your first connection method did not work.

Also, I am not sure about other apps, but the UAPP app will not respond if you activate it before plugging in the DAC, AND turning the DAC on.  (On my system, once all the physical connections are made, and I turn on the HA-2, the UAPP app starts automatically.

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #3,569 of 4,883
  I have no savvy with the newer Samsung Notes, nor the USB C connector, but one thing I do know:  whatever cable/connector that you plug directly into the android device, it must be an OTG (on-the-go) connector.  What you connect after that does not matter - but the direct plug-in must be OTG, regardless of whether you want to connect a USB flash drive, hard drive, DAC, usb hub, whatever.

If that first direct connector is not OTG, no attached devices will work through the USB port.  This may be why your first connection method did not work.

Also, I am not sure about other apps, but the UAPP app will not respond if you activate it before plugging in the DAC, AND turning the DAC on.  (On my system, once all the physical connections are made, and I turn on the HA-2, the UAPP app starts automatically.

I just went an purchased an Amicroe OTG cable adapter - Micro USB to USB. I tried the Micro USB end with my Micro USB - USB C adapter and then my cable to the Oppo but nothing. Tried it the other way around and also nothing. 3rd cable I've had refunded this weekend haha.
The search continues!

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #3,570 of 4,883

I just went an purchased an Amicroe OTG cable adapter - Micro USB to USB. I tried the Micro USB end with my Micro USB - USB C adapter and then my cable to the Oppo but nothing. Tried it the other way around and also nothing. 3rd cable I've had refunded this weekend haha.
The search continues!

Ricky - it is not clear what is plugged directly into your Note 7:  was it the new OTG cable, or was this "Micro USB-USB C" adapter plugged into your Note, and then you plugged the new cable into the this "adapter"?

If the last, that will not work unless this "Micro USB-USB C" is OTG.  It sounds like what you need to ensure is that you have an OTG-certified USB C cable to plug into your Note, and then anything else plugged onto the other end of this OTG USB C cable.  I suspect this adapter you have is not OTG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back