OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jul 29, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #3,526 of 4,883

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.. And I suspect RFI would be most prominent for people who use it on the go, which might make a thick cable unsuitable.. Oh well, I guess I'll see when it arrives, can't be as bad as my NX1 at least..

Edit: then again, it ought to be enough to shield the part closest to the HA-2 (and thus closest to the phone, if you stack them). Might be able to DIY something..

Another question: does anyone have a nice sleek solution to attach the HA-2 to an iPhone 6? Rubber straps, sure, but they don't go well with a touch screen.

There is discussion today about RFI on the Chord Mojo thead http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/20625#post_12755207

Jul 29, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #3,527 of 4,883
So far from labkable price at 138usd...very pricey..i was adviced by frank at toxic to stay away from diy as quality is low and expect well made lightning shielded to be pricey. Still on the fence to buy or not due to price. Just remembering my car audio hobby days, when used clarion hxd1 fully shieded with copper chassis and circuit board all lines opti isolated there was no rfi..evem when my phone nearby...but it happened with lesser headunits..has to do with the way its build definitely. Its the same with amplifiers in home audio or car audio.
But ha2 is good value..and being so close to our phones i cant comment as much

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #3,529 of 4,883
The internal electronics are inside a machined aluminium case - it is impossible to shield them better.
The RFI is entering either through the usb cable, or the headphone leads.

This could very well be the case..i agree with you that a fulled closed aluminium case is enough to shield thats why iphones and yhe like with aluminium chassis need plastic lines for signal to get out..it is most likely through cables..i choose to try a shielded high quality cables option first (all short signal and data cables shielded)and see how we go. If it still happens i may try have a custom made case for oppo..this a hobby afterall more than happy to tinker a bit.

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #3,530 of 4,883
Another question: does anyone have a nice sleek solution to attach the HA-2 to an iPhone 6? Rubber straps, sure, but they don't go well with a touch screen.

I use double-sided tape. Coincidentally someone else asked a similar question on the SE846 thread and I posted a longer response there including info on connectors and players. Here's the link to that:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675219/shure-se846-impressions-thread/15735#post_12757191

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #3,531 of 4,883

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.. And I suspect RFI would be most prominent for people who use it on the go, which might make a thick cable unsuitable.. Oh well, I guess I'll see when it arrives, can't be as bad as my NX1 at least..

Edit: then again, it ought to be enough to shield the part closest to the HA-2 (and thus closest to the phone, if you stack them). Might be able to DIY something.. Remember that your phone will be trying to signal to the nearest radio mast, which could be 1 or 2 km away, so the radio signal strength will be much the same all along the cable. 

Some earlier posts that may interest you:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755879/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac-discussion-thread/3480#post_12695477

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755879/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac-discussion-thread/3480#post_12695595

Jul 31, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #3,532 of 4,883

I use velcro tape. Works really well. Take less than a second to attach/detach and so much easier than the rubber straps.
Also added a small strip of velcro tape to my dashboard to hold my phone while driving. :)

And it can be removed from the HA-2 without leaving marks.

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #3,533 of 4,883
Just received mine. FWIW, no RFI yet. Will try it more during my commute home, when my phone will be changing network technologies and frequencies quite a few times.

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #3,534 of 4,883
Update: managed to recreate the RFI issue, although I basically have to have the music off to hear it. I'm suspecting that it enters through the headphone jack/cable. Reason for this is because this is the part closest to the antennae (on an iPhone 6), and also because if I move the amp 5 cm down, it basically stops. If it was the amp itself that had an RFI issue, the issue ought to remain the same even when moved.

Now I just have to find a way to shield the headphone jack from the wireless signal. :)

Edit: it sounds pretty darn brilliant, by the way.... :)

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #3,535 of 4,883
Sorry if it's been discussed already but I am pretty excited to pick up the new Samsung Note 7 in a few weeks and now they have switched to the USB Type C connector - is there a cable to replace the micro USB cable for the HA-2? I can't live without this thing!

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #3,536 of 4,883
  Sorry if it's been discussed already but I am pretty excited to pick up the new Samsung Note 7 in a few weeks and now they have switched to the USB Type C connector - is there a cable to replace the micro USB cable for the HA-2? I can't live without this thing!

There is but it is hard to find short ones: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-USB-C-Braided-Jacket/dp/B00UUBRX0Y?ie=UTF8&gclid=CjwKEAjwz4u9BRCbioK3stnBznESJADA75xbRGGw1rwnCWNhcspBKiXtM-CjZLO4QxN2bwMWa8kwdBoC_cPw_wcB&redirect=true
Then there is adapters: https://www.amazon.com/TechMatte-Connector-Resistor-Approved-Standard/dp/B0151RKYBG

If you can nit find short cables you might need to cut a longer one down to size and try to splice the wires back together. The other issue is do you still need an OTG type cable for USB-C.

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #3,537 of 4,883
Has anyone used this amp on a Moto X Pure with Neutron Pro?

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #3,539 of 4,883
I'm ready to pull the trigger on this guy. I *think* I should be fine with my Galaxy S6 connected via OTG but just wanted to make sure. And will I still be able to play Spotify offline music using the Oppo DAC?

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #3,540 of 4,883
I'm ready to pull the trigger on this guy. I *think* I should be fine with my Galaxy S6 connected via OTG but just wanted to make sure. And will I still be able to play Spotify offline music using the Oppo DAC?

The oppo just receives the stream of digital data from your phone, and then converts it to analogue. The oppo does not need to know where the digital data came from.

the question that you need to ask is, can your phone send spotify offline music to your oppo?
i think that one of the streaming services (maybe tidal?) encrypts the offline music, so that it is useless to copy/pirate it, and if that is the case with spotify, then the oppo will just receive the encrypted music (ie just white noise). It is the app on the phone that has to decrypt the music, then send the resulting data stream to the oppo.

this type of question has cropped up before (either on this thread, or the chord mojo thread), and it could have been in relation to tidal. However the principle applies to both the oppo and the mojo.

try searching those threads with the keyword 'encrypted'. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back