OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jul 23, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #3,511 of 4,883
Hi all ha2 users.
Anyone ever exleriemce jitter issues with ha2. Where it suddenlysignal from iphone shuts off..have to turn the ha2 off and back on..its halpening more and more often on my unit even when using as a dac line out. Tried swapling lightning to usb cable and still no cure. Is my unit faulty maybe orbdoes anybody have a explaination or solution.
Thanks all

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3,512 of 4,883
Hi all ha2 users.
Anyone ever exleriemce jitter issues with ha2. Where it suddenlysignal from iphone shuts off..have to turn the ha2 off and back on..its halpening more and more often on my unit even when using as a dac line out. Tried swapling lightning to usb cable and still no cure. Is my unit faulty maybe orbdoes anybody have a explaination or solution.
Thanks all

This is a shot in the dark, but do you have the iOS device volume turned all the way up (a good thing, as it gives you maximum bit depth)?  (I would actually be surprised if turning the iOS volume all the way up fixes the problem, but it might be relevant.)

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #3,513 of 4,883

This is a shot in the dark, but do you have the iOS device volume turned all the way up (a good thing, as it gives you maximum bit depth)?  (I would actually be surprised if turning the iOS volume all the way up fixes the problem, but it might be relevant.)

I seem to remember someone having a similar problem on one of the threads (probably this thread or one of the chord dac threads), and i think the cause is that the communication handshake between the iphone and the oppo becomes broken, so the oppo has to be switched on again in order to re-establish the handshake. I can't remember the root cause for the handshake being broken in the first place, but I think the OP could find the answer if they search the threads that I suggest.

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #3,514 of 4,883
Haven't read through the whole thread (it's pretty big..), so I apologize if this has been asked or answered before:

I use Spotify on Extreme quality (320kbps) a lot on my commute. The problem right now is that the gear I have (Topping NX1 through a Zuperdac, the NX1 is the main problem) is pretty sensitive to RFI. Basically, when the 4G starts buffering music or album pictures, I can hear it, either as a crackling noise or, in the case of higher frequency networks, as almost a white noise sound.

Working in the telecommunications field, it's pretty interesting to be able to use a badly shielded amp to actually hear an audible difference between different radio technologies and radio network frequencies, but not exactly something desireable while listening to music.

Anyway, basic question - is anyone using this with an iPhone 6, while regularly streaming music over cellular networks, and in that case, have you experienced RFI?

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #3,515 of 4,883
  Anyway, basic question - is anyone using this with an iPhone 6, while regularly streaming music over cellular networks, and in that case, have you experienced RFI?

Using the HA-2 with my iPhone 6 (and earlier iPhone 5S). Streaming using Tidal (~flac) all the time (and sometimes Spotify) - never heard any mobile/network noise. It's dead quiet.

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #3,516 of 4,883

Using the HA-2 with my iPhone 6 (and earlier iPhone 5S). Streaming using Tidal (~flac) all the time (and sometimes Spotify) - never heard any mobile/network noise. It's dead quiet.

That's brilliant to hear. This might just what I've been looking for. A bit on the expensive side, but it should be future compatible, good sound, nice design.. :)

Thanks for the reply!

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #3,517 of 4,883
I posted on RFI and it's very irritating. If I want to really sit down and listen I have to go to airplane mode which is not compatible with my lifestyle. i.e. kids and business. The shielding on this thing is non existent.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #3,518 of 4,883
I posted on RFI and it's very irritating. If I want to really sit down and listen I have to go to airplane mode which is not compatible with my lifestyle. i.e. kids and business. The shielding on this thing is non existent.

The internal electronics are inside a machined aluminium case - it is impossible to shield them better.
The RFI is entering either through the usb cable, or the headphone leads.

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #3,519 of 4,883
Oppo ha2 isnt perfect...i notice my signal cutting out issue happens more frequently when the battery indicator is below half. Thee oppo dealer will help me claim warranty..rfi and hiss is happens from time to time...but airplane mode def helps there..im getting a custom shielded lightning connector made..see how i go from there

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #3,520 of 4,883
Oppo ha2 isnt perfect...i notice my signal cutting out issue happens more frequently when the battery indicator is below half. Thee oppo dealer will help me claim warranty..rfi and hiss is happens from time to time...but airplane mode def helps there..im getting a custom shielded lightning connector made..see how i go from there

I have mine on the way, and I am really sensitive to RFI, especially since airplane mode isn't an alternative for me. Please keep us updated. Where will you get the lightning cable from?

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #3,521 of 4,883
No issues with RFI, EMI or hiss on my HA2 with my iphone5s or the wife's iphone6 plus. :)

To the users complaining of RFI, try changing the source cable. It might not be shielded properly.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #3,523 of 4,883
Might be a stupid question, but if it's entering through the headphone leads - are there shielded MMCX cables to be had?

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #3,524 of 4,883
  Might be a stupid question, but if it's entering through the headphone leads - are there shielded MMCX cables to be had?

I don't remember seeing any, but I would expect that they exist. The downside is that the shielding would make the cables thicker, stiffer and heavier, which would be a NOGO for some headphone buyers, so I presume that might explain why such cables may be rare.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #3,525 of 4,883

I don't remember seeing any, but I would expect that they exist. The downside is that the shielding would make the cables thicker, stiffer and heavier, which would be a NOGO for some headphone buyers, so I presume that might explain why such cables may be rare.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.. And I suspect RFI would be most prominent for people who use it on the go, which might make a thick cable unsuitable.. Oh well, I guess I'll see when it arrives, can't be as bad as my NX1 at least..

Edit: then again, it ought to be enough to shield the part closest to the HA-2 (and thus closest to the phone, if you stack them). Might be able to DIY something..

Another question: does anyone have a nice sleek solution to attach the HA-2 to an iPhone 6? Rubber straps, sure, but they don't go well with a touch screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back