OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Apr 27, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #3,361 of 4,883
I am using the SE846, too. I'm using the HA-2 as an amp and DAC. There is definitely a noticeable hiss.

@RCBinTN Would you mind testing your HA-2 as an amp and DAC to see if that's where the difference is? Or are there variations among HA-2 implementations?

No trouble at all.  Requires using the AK120ii as a music server and the Oppo HA-2 in "A" or "B" mode for digital input. I haven't used the Oppo with a digital input as yet.
I'll mess around with it this w/e and let you know how it goes.

Cheers -
RCB

ps.  Tonight I'm listening to this music from the AK120ii -

The music sounded a bit dark so I switched the Oppo to high gain mode.  Much better sound (with the acoustic instruments) and still zero hiss.  The floor is black.  The SQ is so clear/detailed that I can hear Joe swap out his guitars between songs.  Still in "C" mode on the Oppo.

May 1, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #3,363 of 4,883
I am using the SE846, too. I'm using the HA-2 as an amp and DAC. There is definitely a noticeable hiss.

@RCBinTN Would you mind testing your HA-2 as an amp and DAC to see if that's where the difference is? Or are there variations among HA-2 implementations?

Hi All,
I finally got around to performing the requested test.  Fun stuff.  Used the Shure SE846 throughout.

I couldn't get the AK120ii to output a digital signal to the Oppo, probably operator error, so finally gave up on that idea.
I have an iPhone5S, but it's a work phone and has no music on it...
So, I plugged the Oppo into my (2014) iPad using the Lightening/USB-A cable that came with the Oppo.  That works.  I assume this is how you folks are connecting the Oppo to your iPhones.
Set the volume on the iPad to about half, Oppo on high gain mode with bass boost off.  This keeps the Oppo's volume control about in the middle.

Listened to some iPad music, fairly demanding stuff, all of it 256 kbps AAC:
   - Allen Toussaint The Bright Mississippi
   - Bella Fleck Live Art
   - Daft Punk Random Access Memories
   - Pentatonix That's Christmas to Me
All this music sounded fine.  No audible hiss from the system.  Between songs, I turned the Oppo volume up all the way - still no hiss.  Not quite as black a floor as my usual rig (AK120ii - Oppo) but close.  Certainly not offensive.  I did not try turning the iPad volume up all the way, fearing damage.

Switched to iPad movies, thinking they are higher-resolution files, probably 16/44.1.  Tested:
   - Amadeus
   - Whiplash
   - EC Guitar Festival 2013 - the part where John Mayer and Keith Urban play together - killer
All these soundtracks were fine, as well.  No audible hiss from the system.  The SQ was quite good.

Net, the DAC/amp combo in the Oppo HA-2 is decent, certainly for the $300 price tag.  Not the best DAC that I've heard, the AK120ii is better but it's a different beast and costs $1700.  With the Oppo, the music sounded quite realistic, pretty wide stage, good instrument separation, well-defined vocals, flat response with the bass not boosted (which I like).  I prefer the high gain setting - to me the music sounds more realistic.

I'm not sure what to advise as to the hiss issue that some folks are hearing.  Perhaps a cable issue, or the iPhone volume is set too high?  Or, a defective Oppo?  I don't know why an iPhone would act differently to an iPad in this rig.  Wish I could offer more definitive help.

Good luck,
RCBinTN

May 1, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #3,364 of 4,883
  Hi All,
I finally got around to performing the requested test.  Fun stuff.  Used the Shure SE846 throughout.

I'm not sure what to advise as to the hiss issue that some folks are hearing.  Perhaps a cable issue, or the iPhone volume is set too high?  Or, a defective Oppo?  I don't know why an iPhone would act differently to an iPad in this rig.  Wish I could offer more definitive help.

Good luck,
RCBinTN

Thanks for checking into it. I checked again just to be sure. If I put the SE846 on it's dead silent until I turn on the HA-2; then there is a clear hiss. Adjusting the volume on the iPhone makes no difference. The hiss is present on low and high gain. It's also present regardless of the volume setting on the HA-2. If you have the HA-2 on while not playing music and the hiss is audible, it will stop hissing when the HA-2 goes into standby, likely due to the Class AB design.

Not sure why some hear it and others do not.

May 2, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #3,366 of 4,883
i
Hi All,

I couldn't get the AK120ii to output a digital signal to the Oppo, probably operator error, so finally gave up on that idea.
I have an iPhone5S, but it's a work phone and has no music on it...
So, I plugged the Oppo into my (2014) iPad using the Lightening/USB-A cable that came with the Oppo.  That works.  I assume this is how you folks are connecting the Oppo to your iPhones.
Set the volume on the iPad to about half, Oppo on high gain mode with bass boost off.  This keeps the Oppo's volume control about in the middle.

Listened to some iPad music, fairly demanding stuff, all of it 256 kbps AAC:
   - Allen Toussaint The Bright Mississippi
   - Bella Fleck Live Art
   - Daft Punk Random Access Memories
   - Pentatonix That's Christmas to Me
All this music sounded fine.  No audible hiss from the system.  Between songs, I turned the Oppo volume up all the way - still no hiss.  Not quite as black a floor as my usual rig (AK120ii - Oppo) but close.  Certainly not offensive.  I did not try turning the iPad volume up all the way, fearing damage.

Switched to iPad movies, thinking they are higher-resolution files, probably 16/44.1.  Tested:
   - Amadeus
   - Whiplash
   - EC Guitar Festival 2013 - the part where John Mayer and Keith Urban play together - killer
All these soundtracks were fine, as well.  No audible hiss from the system.  The SQ was quite good.

Net, the DAC/amp combo in the Oppo HA-2 is decent, certainly for the $300 price tag.  Not the best DAC that I've heard, the AK120ii is better but it's a different beast and costs $1700.  With the Oppo, the music sounded quite realistic, pretty wide stage, good instrument separation, well-defined vocals, flat response with the bass not boosted (which I like).  I prefer the high gain setting - to me the music sounds more realistic.

Good luck,
RCBinTN
deoendan

The hiss that I hear on my Shure Se535 and the Oppo Ha-2 seems to be independent of volume levels. I am using with my iPhone 6s connected as you did with your I-pad. I tested various volume levels and in the phone and Oppo and the hiss is always the same. I will have to try it with my iPad and see if it makes any difference.

May 2, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #3,367 of 4,883
I've always had hiss with my HA-2 with my IM02 and UERM. I tried another person's HA2 on the similar devices and had the same issue.

May 2, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #3,369 of 4,883
Well damn, now I don't know what to say about all this hiss.  All I hear when I turn on the Oppo, in either "A" or "C" configuration, is the amplifier coming on.  No audible hiss.  

You may want to contact Oppodigital and see if they are getting complaints.  The only other thought is that my hearing isn't as sensitive to hiss as yours, after all I am 59 years old, but I get my hearing checked every year and the treble is not lossy.  I'm listening now to my HD800 and every note seems clear and distinct.

May 2, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #3,370 of 4,883
Well damn, now I don't know what to say about all this hiss.  All I hear when I turn on the Oppo, in either "A" or "C" configuration, is the amplifier coming on.  No audible hiss.  

You may want to contact Oppodigital and see if they are getting complaints.  The only other thought is that my hearing isn't as sensitive to hiss as yours, after all I am 59 years old, but I get my hearing checked every year and the treble is not lossy.  I'm listening now to my HD800 and every note seems clear and distinct.

I think part of the issue is the Shure SE535 is very sensitive at 119db. My My previous Shure SE219 it was almost not there. I also am sensitive to hiss.

May 2, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #3,371 of 4,883
I think part of the issue is the Shure SE535 is very sensitive at 119db. My My previous Shure SE219 it was almost not there. I also am sensitive to hiss.

Just received this from Oppo customer Service

Josh,

If you are using IEMs then you may have some amount of hiss in the background depending on your own hearing capabilities. This is due to the impedance of the headphones being too high for the HA-2.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

May 2, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #3,372 of 4,883
Just received this from Oppo customer Service

Josh,

If you are using IEMs then you may have some amount of hiss in the background depending on your own hearing capabilities. This is due to the impedance of the headphones being too high for the HA-2.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

So 535's and this are not a good mix?

May 3, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #3,374 of 4,883
  Huh?

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/05/get-more-from-your-oppo-pm-3-headphones-with-a-balanced-cable/

That just makes it harder to trust a site like that, as it reads too much like a sale pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back