OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Nov 18, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #2,476 of 4,883
Being class AB would have nothing to do with how it compared to X5II as they are both class AB. Most amp in the market are actually class AB if they didn't specify.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #2,478 of 4,883
I am fairly new to headphones but not so new to good sound reproduction.  These forums helped me to start off with the HD-600 and I am very appreciative for this.  After a short break-in period they have sounded stellar.  I was listening mostly via my imac via the 3.5 jack.  The sound was good but not as good as the headphone jack of my Marrantz 7005 so I knew they would open up with a better system. Alas the Marrantz was in my home theatre room and not really a very practical place to listen while I am in my home office.  

Enter the HA-2. At first I was worried about the gain.  It seemed to struggle to drive the 600's.  Then I realized that the output of the mac could shift when other programs were opened and once I monitored that, along with the volume of the spotify or tidal and the gain on the HA-2 things improved.  It also didn't help that one of the first songs I listened to was I Can't Hold Out by Clapton. It is notoriously low in gain.  When I called OPPO the tech there was very helpful in testing the clapton song on his similar system (HA-2 Senn 650) and he verified that the volume was not high for that particular track.  When I started listening to other tracks the volume problems pretty much disappeared though I am using the high gain much of the time.  I was a bit surprised by this considering I had read in this thread that some were using the HA-2 with the 600's and felt they were driven just fine.  Oh well, maybe my years of playing rock and roll has left me, well, hearing deficient!  LOL

The sound with the 600's, HA-2 and Tidal is really very impressive. Plenty of space.  The most remarkable thing to me is the "air." Instruments are in their own space and clearly separate without taking away from a cohesive sound. I love listening to backup vocals and easily identifying each voice and following their part. I have sung my share of backups and really enjoy this. This combination really make this easy and these things really sing.  

I can't get used to the soundstage.  I am used to a multi speaker 5 channel system where the soundstage is huge. The phones seem different.  It's almost like the soundstage is vertical rather than horizontal.  I can't quite describe it but it doesn't detract from the enjoyment.

I have done some comparisons between tidal and spotify and have convinced myself I can hear a difference and prefer tidal.  Spotify seems to be more like a stew with some sounds blended.  Would be curious to hear what others have found on that.  I would love to like spotify and save some money.  lol

So I am plenty happy at this point and have to wonder if things could get better still with a dedicated desktop amp.  Bottlehead Crack?  Valhalla 2? Ha-1? Would the sound improve dramatically from what I am getting now?  It's hard to imagine it is going to get too much better.  Then again, never say never.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me get to this point.   

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #2,479 of 4,883
Yes. Hopefully they do this with the next edition of the Oppo. I think the FiiO x5II can be used to full advantage with the new Chord Mojo that has a separate COAX cable available for $75. It's about $599, however.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #2,480 of 4,883
Yes. Hopefully they do this with the next edition of the Oppo. I think the FiiO x5II can be used to full advantage with the new Chord Mojo that has a separate COAX cable available for $75. It's about $599, however.

I made one for myself for $15. :p

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #2,483 of 4,883
Nov 21, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #2,484 of 4,883
ClieOS mate!

Finally got the HA2 and I'm so glad I went ahead with it. Thanks for answering my follow up questions after reading your review. Good on you.

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2,485 of 4,883
My setup is currently an Audeze EL-8 + Oppo HA-2. The HA-2 is on Low Gain + Bass Boost (comfortable volume is around 2, max is 5).

I've had my eye on the iDSD Micro, but would I actually see any improvement vs the HA-2 (since I'm barely using half the volume on Low Gain as it is)?

I've had people tell me the Micro would "blow away" the HA-2 but would it when I'm barely even tapping into the HA-2 (sure the Micro has way more power but does that actually result in a sound difference)?

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #2,486 of 4,883
Figured I would cross-post this from the Master & Dynamic thread in the headphone forum. The MH40 is great with the Oppo -

"I could not be happier with my current set-up - iPhone 6s> VOX app> Oppo HA-2> Master & Dynamic MH40. The incredible clarity of the Oppo pairs well with the MH40. Using low gain on the Oppo, never have to go past 3 with the iPhone volume maxed, as Oppo recommends. Even using the 6s with just the MH40s, listening to Apple Music, the headphone is easy to drive. Will not be looking to upgrade anytime soon, although I still listen to my Senn HD650s at home occasionally."

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #2,488 of 4,883
Just got this. It works with my iPhone but not iPad air2 or iPad pro. Is this a known issue? My iPads work with my other dacs. V0lume with my iPads is so quiet at high gain but iPhone is normal. Thanks

Works fine with my Ipad 4, which is still running Os7. 

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #2,489 of 4,883
what impedance is ha 2? it says 0.5 ohms, is it?

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #2,490 of 4,883
what impedance is ha 2? it says 0.5 ohms, is it?

Yes, the official number for output impedance is 0.5ohm. There is no real way to measure it on the HA-2 due to how the amp section is implemented, but the indirect measurement I did does support the claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back