OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
May 22, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #1,306 of 4,883
Well after a Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong wait heres my review

is my first few hours listening to it and i can say is wonderful on both Low and Hi-gain but seem both of my sony headphones ask for high gain to sound beautiful: MDR-1R and XBA-H3, the latter being an Hybrid IEM 1x 16mm DD 1x full range BA and 1x "HD tweeter" BA

As dap i'm using a Sony NWZ-A17 for which i have only a Fiio L5 POCC line-out cable, so i'm using switch to mode C.

Build & experience (user experience)

The Build of the HA-2 is fantastic, it feels heavy on my hand and shirt pockets, the leather cover is a nice touch because with that you no longer need rubber bumper feets. Feels pretty sturdy and the jacks feel tight, tough not as tight as the Fiio x3 ones, but tighter than the Sony A17 own HP-out jack.

The switches on the side are relatively easy to operate and the bass one has a green marking, wish that was also present on the gain switch, tought a minor whine not a big problem. The ledsof the charging feature feel nic.

The volume kno feels nice and has a nice resistance feeling and a nice texture, clicks nicely when you power it on or off, the led looks nice too.

My only complaint is the weird placement of the mode selector on the back of the HA-2, i think the front has sudficient space to have put it there but is fine otugh.

Accesories

It comes with a bunch of cables, a 3.5 to 3.5mm cable, a nice touch for daps which doesn't posses a lineout per-se, an USB to lightning for iDevices, a micro B to Micro B cable, for android devices or devices that have a micrB port, and a white charging cable and data cable??? or is just for charging, gotta guess that, i have some micro USB spares to use it on my laptop.

Also includes a charger for fast charging it (this can be also used to charge you other devices with no risk of damaging them) and two rubber bands for attaching the device, personally the feel pretty sturdy and they don't press "by accident" any button of my A17 walkman which already has pretty "sensitive" buttons

SOUND QUALITY

So far with Graupner's orchestral works (MDG Gold, New stravaganza orchestra) sounds amazing, the clarity and imaging is very nice, similar to that of my A17 if not retaining the original soundstage size of my A17. I can hear more details than with the A17 alone, esp the cemablo & viola di gamba.

The bass on the MDR-1R is no longer anemic type, seem to be driven well on H gain (BASS boost OFF), so far the knob is at vol. 2 and a half. with XBA-H3 this goes down a bit to 1.85 closer to 2

There's no channel imbalance at all unless the jack of the line-out pops out and i think is plugged snuggly
biggrin.gif
 D'OH moment

I was not satified before with my XBA-H3, hated them because they were overall bassy, that even removed the sponge filters in an attempt to tame the bass to somehow a workable solution but nothing is compared when i plugged them to the HA-2.

They sing, they sing so wonderful, more neutral, bye bye bass bloat in the mid-bass, more trebble clarity now, now i no longe whine that i don't have the XBA-Z5
biggrin.gif
, H3's seem to have leveled out closer to neutral as well do 1R's with nice bass extension and full body.

On low gain they sound equally good but feel H gain maskes them shine better, with L gain the volume on the 1R's goes to 4 and in the XBA-H3 to 2.95 to say so not even touching the 3 mark. Even on L-gain the harpsichord is clear on the XBA-H3 just like it is on the 1R's while bieng driven directly from the Walkman's HO direct.

Need to spend more time comparing the HO and LO of my Walkman but i can say the LO sounds waaay cleaner, nice clean signal. I am still debating wether i shall buy the more expensive digital Out for the walkman give the negatives of being a bit clumsy and battery hog.

Later i will try it out in the PC to bypass the intel HD driver and to see how good is the sabre chip.

So far i'm loving it, nice sound quality, no coloring at all as far when using AMP mode only, feels sturdy, nice finish, lots of power to spare

Edit i'm using only FLAC & HD-FLAC

May 22, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #1,308 of 4,883
  Well after a Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong wait heres my review

is my first few hours listening to it and i can say is wonderful on both Low and Hi-gain but seem both of my sony headphones ask for high gain to sound beautiful: MDR-1R and XBA-H3, the latter being an Hybrid IEM 1x 16mm DD 1x full range BA and 1x "HD tweeter" BA

As dap i'm using a Sony NWZ-A17 for which i have only a Fiio L5 POCC line-out cable, so i'm using switch to mode C.

Build & experience (user experience)

The Build of the HA-2 is fantastic, it feels heavy on my hand and shirt pockets, the leather cover is a nice touch because with that you no longer need rubber bumper feets. Feels pretty sturdy and the jacks feel tight, tough not as tight as the Fiio x3 ones, but tighter than the Sony A17 own HP-out jack.

The switches on the side are relatively easy to operate and the bass one has a green marking, wish that was also present on the gain switch, tought a minor whine not a big problem. The ledsof the charging feature feel nic.

The volume kno feels nice and has a nice resistance feeling and a nice texture, clicks nicely when you power it on or off, the led looks nice too.

My only complaint is the weird placement of the mode selector on the back of the HA-2, i think the front has sudficient space to have put it there but is fine otugh.

Accesories

It comes with a bunch of cables, a 3.5 to 3.5mm cable, a nice touch for daps which doesn't posses a lineout per-se, an USB to lightning for iDevices, a micro B to Micro B cable, for android devices or devices that have a micrB port, and a white charging cable and data cable??? or is just for charging, gotta guess that, i have some micro USB spares to use it on my laptop.

Also includes a charger for fast charging it (this can be also used to charge you other devices with no risk of damaging them) and two rubber bands for attaching the device, personally the feel pretty sturdy and they don't press "by accident" any button of my A17 walkman which already has pretty "sensitive" buttons

SOUND QUALITY

So far with Graupner's orchestral works (MDG Gold, New stravaganza orchestra) sounds amazing, the clarity and imaging is very nice, similar to that of my A17 if not retaining the original soundstage size of my A17. I can hear more details than with the A17 alone, esp the cemablo & viola di gamba.

The bass on the MDR-1R is no longer anemic type, seem to be driven well on H gain (BASS boost OFF), so far the knob is at vol. 2 and a half. with XBA-H3 this goes down a bit to 1.85 closer to 2

There's no channel imbalance at all unless the jack of the line-out pops out and i think is plugged snuggly
biggrin.gif
 D'OH moment

I was not satified before with my XBA-H3, hated them because they were overall bassy, that even removed the sponge filters in an attempt to tame the bass to somehow a workable solution but nothing is compared when i plugged them to the HA-2.

They sing, they sing so wonderful, more neutral, bye bye bass bloat in the mid-bass, more trebble clarity now, now i no longe whine that i don't have the XBA-Z5
biggrin.gif
, H3's seem to have leveled out closer to neutral as well do 1R's with nice bass extension and full body.

On low gain they sound equally good but feel H gain maskes them shine better, with L gain the volume on the 1R's goes to 4 and in the XBA-H3 to 2.95 to say so not even touching the 3 mark. Even on L-gain the harpsichord is clear on the XBA-H3 just like it is on the 1R's while bieng driven directly from the Walkman's HO direct.

Need to spend more time comparing the HO and LO of my Walkman but i can say the LO sounds waaay cleaner, nice clean signal. I am still debating wether i shall buy the more expensive digital Out for the walkman give the negatives of being a bit clumsy and battery hog.

Later i will try it out in the PC to bypass the intel HD driver and to see how good is the sabre chip.

So far i'm loving it, nice sound quality, no coloring at all as far when using AMP mode only, feels sturdy, nice finish, lots of power to spare

Edit i'm using only FLAC & HD-FLAC

i knew that i will find you here 
biggrin.gif
 ... congratulations  

May 22, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #1,309 of 4,883

Listening to harp Concertos, IONA brown Phillips sound so cleara nd very nice for the already quiet Harp, nice rounded bass response for the orchestra and harp bass strings, nice resonance of the haro is clearly heard, Buxtehude's Harpsichord works equally nice and clear detail from the harpsichord resonance (Ton Koopman Operam Omnia Vols. 1 & 6) But his organ works are screw** amazing, the reverb is like being there holy cow, also MDG gold, Harald Vogel (Buxtehude complete organ works x7CD), bass response of the organ is oretty good on the 1R from being bass anemic to nice neutral but punchy bass.

Vocal music is beautifully rendered as well (Gesualdo madrigals with The Kassiopea quintet, globe), claudio monteverdi's madrigals and selva morale e spirituale is euqalli good represented nice crisp high and nice lows Glossa, la venexiana

with 24-bit music you're on heaven, Francks organ works completeHans eberhard Ross, 24/96Khz, the most minuscule detail is revealed, from rever to very faint organ pipes to the thunderous mixture of pipes playing otgether. to the mellow Cembalo works of JA Reincken On classical 24/88.2K simone stella

May 22, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #1,310 of 4,883
  Someone sent us an email earlier today to share that he'd found a suitable hard shell case for his HA-2.

Not too shabby, and it's cheap: Link.

This one works quite well too!

Even a bit cheaper ... it is a bit snug in the corners, but there is padding, I will get a pic later

May 23, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #1,312 of 4,883
If you put the switch to mode A and turn on the power bank ON, it can charge the walkman just like a portable battery pack that's super

May 23, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #1,313 of 4,883
  If you put the switch to mode A and turn on the power bank ON, it can charge the walkman just like a portable battery pack that's super

I see you use the line-out of the HA-2 to amplify the sony player's sound.
Have you found a cable to use the player for a data transfer only to utilize the OPPO DAC?

May 23, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #1,314 of 4,883
I already ordered the Musicheaven cable to test it out with my A15 and HA-2. Should be here next week.

May 23, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #1,315 of 4,883
  I already ordered the Musicheaven cable to test it out with my A15 and HA-2. Should be here next week.

Here is one more person who uses the same cable today 

http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=144932&page=5&p=1652887&viewfull=1#post1652887

http://player.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=114331&d=1432128907

May 23, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #1,316 of 4,883

I see you use the line-out of the HA-2 to amplify the sony player's sound.
Have you found a cable to use the player for a data transfer only to utilize the OPPO DAC?

Nope i haven't found a data-only cable for walkman, i am using it as amp for my walkman and as DAC on  my sony VAIO laptop, bye bye INTEL "HD Audio"

also i don't ote any so glare of sabre
biggrin.gif
, tough this is my first sabre product :D

May 23, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #1,317 of 4,883
The bass boost is analogue if i recall it correctly, it works well with my bass shy MDR-1R's, definitively it does NOT sounds like a DSP. at first listen yes i said oh man it sucks, but seems this thing overall needs burn-in

May 23, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #1,318 of 4,883
Have a look in here for the chart that shows where that boost is centered on if at all curious.

May 23, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #1,319 of 4,883
Hi everyone!

I can't believe that I actually read the whole thread. Gosh, 88 pages and growing... :)

I have a quick question for anyone than can help:

Storage size aside, between an iPod Touch 64 GB + Oppo HA-2 vs a Sony NW-ZX2, both using either Neutron Player or Poweramp, driving a Sony MDR-1R and a Oppo PM-3 headphones. Which one would you buy and why?

It's $600 vs $1200, but the Sony might be a much better DAP than the iPod + Oppo HA-2 (or not).

The Sony can be expanded to a healthy 256 GB of storage, while the iPod is stuck at 64 GB, but I might but a wireless 2TB WD external HDD. I'm not sure I even need 256 GB of music at the same time.

So, what do you think? Where should I put the coins?

Thanks guys!

May 23, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #1,320 of 4,883
I have a question too Interesting things i hear on my shiny new HA-2, well i am listening to some Harp concertos, the whole disc, this time no more testing, so i switched to Low gain and wow the soundstage is a s huge as real-life concert hall experience... but switch to H-gain and bye bye big soundstage... why that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back