OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Mar 18, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #466 of 4,883
Yes, I've used the HA-2 connected to my 5s and have listened to iTunes Radio and Spotify without any dropouts and with excellent sound quality. I haven't tried Tidal or any of the other lossy streaming services (Pandora, I Heart Radio, Beats Music, etc.). My favorite things to listen to are 24/192 and 24/96 tracks via the Onkyo HF player.

I think that Oppo should release their own hi-res player app for iDevices and Android and perhaps merge all the different Oppo remote and media player apps into one Oppo app. Ah, to dream!

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #467 of 4,883
  I did try the SE846 on the Picollo, not the W60. English is only my 3rd language and yet I manage to write somewhat correct sentences
biggrin.gif

But back to the HA-2, we're getting side tracked

Maybe you had the benefit of better instruction in English. I find people from India speak and write English exceptionally well so if you are Indian, or have had great language training, third language or not, you may have had better instruction and or practice. But yes, not using all caps should be universal meaning don't do it.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #468 of 4,883
Yes, I've used the HA-2 connected to my 5s and have listened to iTunes Radio and Spotify without any dropouts and with excellent sound quality. I haven't tried Tidal or any of the other lossy streaming services (Pandora, I Heart Radio, Beats Music, etc.). My favorite things to listen to are 24/192 and 24/96 tracks via the Onkyo HF player.

I think that Oppo should release their own hi-res player app for iDevices and Android and perhaps merge all the different Oppo remote and media player apps into one Oppo app. Ah, to dream!

Thanks for the input can't wait to get one.

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #470 of 4,883
Just got mine 2 days ago. The moment the local retailer brought it in 2 units i happily went and tested their showroom unit (first one to do so) and took the other newer unit. Hehe.

So far, very impressed with it. Sounded extremely good out of the box, and worked wonderfully well with my EarWerkz Supras. Reined in the mids (Supras had a slightly aggressive miss and mid-bass signature) and i didn't know dual drivers could crank up so much proper low end bass when i switched the Bass+ button. 

However both the Supras and Oppo are barely fully run in so i'll reserve final judgement till then. (Supra < 10 hours, Oppo < 3 hours) Hopefully the slight bass bloom will tighten up and ill hear even more better things. Detail retrieval has also vastly improved. Easily gives my HD558 a run for its money but i'll still judge it against my LCD-2/CLAS-DB/MK3-B stack.

One thing that surprised me the most is how well the HA2 shielding works. Parked it right under my Oppo Find 7 (I swear if Oppo comes out with an IEM ill get it too XD) and i hear only the slight minimal hiss everyone is talking about. I did the same for the Fiio E18 and i can hear crackling due to interference. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #471 of 4,883

I think that is an excellent idea! They could probably charge a decent sum for it too and if it's the best, people will pay.
I know I would. Are you listening Oppo?
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #472 of 4,883

Maybe you had the benefit of better instruction in English. I find people from India speak and write English exceptionally well so if you are Indian, or have had great language training, third language or not, you may have had better instruction and or practice. But yes, not using all caps should be universal meaning don't do it.

I have vertigo. The all caps heaved me down the hall. My complaint was 100% aimed at that. I give not a shyte about someone's English skills.

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #473 of 4,883
Wow. This portable amp/dac looks very very sexy with all the features I'm looking for. Battery + works with phone. I'm actually in the market for either a Dacport (with amp) or a Meridian Explorer 1 or 2 (budget up to $300), but it looks like the HA-2 is a steal at this price. Been reading a ton of reviews to see which one would suite my headphones better (Denon D600), but someone has mentioned they would prefer the HA-2 over the Dacport LX.

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #474 of 4,883
  Wow. This portable amp/dac looks very very sexy with all the features I'm looking for. Battery + works with phone. I'm actually in the market for either a Dacport (with amp) or a Meridian Explorer 1 or 2 (budget up to $300), but it looks like the HA-2 is a steal at this price. Been reading a ton of reviews to see which one would suite my headphones better (Denon D600), but someone has mentioned they would prefer the HA-2 over the Dacport LX.

DACport LX vs. HA-2 is an awkward comparison - like comparing the drive train of one car to the complete chassis and body of another.  Even without considering costs, you get so much more with the HA-2 (ability to work with sources other than USB ports that must also provide power, a built-in amplifier, etc.)

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #476 of 4,883

I have vertigo. The all caps heaved me down the hall. My complaint was 100% aimed at that. I give not a shyte about someone's English skills.

You do realize I wasn't responding to your post right? I suffered from vertigo myself and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. It is always threatening to return. I can't even ride on a bus sideways or facing the opposite direction of travel, and no amusement park rides for me.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #477 of 4,883
  Just received the HA-2 today.  After using it as DAC+ Iphone6 for 2 hours, the device felt warm.  Any comments from fellow head-fiers with this issue.
Cheers

It is a Class A amplifiei design (at least partially) so it should get warm during operation. The circuits produce a great deal of heat.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #478 of 4,883

It is a Class A amplifiei design (at least partially) so it should get warm during operation. The circuits produce a great deal of heat.

Thank for the prompt reply Sonic. Hopefully its not much of a concern as i intend to keep both the HA-2 and iphone in my bag while i m travelling around. I am just amazed with the level of detail in design and SQ performance. Any recommendation on apps that can play hi-res files ?

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #479 of 4,883
Hi!

I've been using the PM-3's and the HA-2 for about two weeks now. 
Last week I attended a conference in New Orleans, and thought it would be an ideal way to test the new gear on the road, in planes, etc.

First thoughts are that the combination of the HA-2 and PM-3s are a dream combo. The PM-3 had almost no sound leakage, and I asked my fellow passengers to listen for leakage and they said they couldn't hear anything, even when I cranked the volume, and the ambient noise cancellation was very good. As for comfort, they were just wonderful. 

Using the HA-2 took a different turn. I don't really have much music stored on my Samsung S5, or my older iPad Retina. So, I brought along a Seagate Wireless Plus drive with a built-in hotspot. Using the older 40 pin iPad cable to the HA-2 worked great, and I streamed high-res audio FLACs to the iPad, and then played them using Capriccio to the HA-2. Worked fine. 

I also tried with the HA-2 rubber banded to my S5, used the small mini to mini USB connector between the phone and HA-2, and played a few files on my phone (Rolling Stones - Official Bootlegs, Brussels, and Los Angeles concerts) and they sounded great. Then I used the browser on the phone to connect to the Seagate Wireless Plus and once again the files played just fine. 

I had a bit of worry that I damaged the phone cable for the PM-3, as I couldn't get both channels playing, but it was a "Doh!" moment. I had inserted the wrong end of the cable into the PM-3s, so once I figured it out and plugged the proper side of the cable into the headphones all was fine! My bad!

By the end of the flights, I found myself tossing the Seagate Wireless Plus drive into my backpack, and the phone/HA-2 rubber banded combo into my jacket pocket and all was well, high-quality music on the road, with TB's of tracks to choose from.

As for hiss, I simply had none. Even in a dead quiet hotel room, using the PM-3's, I had the phones on my head, the HA-2 cranked up, but the battery had run out on the Seagate unit, I kept checking to see if the green LED was still lit on the HA-2, as it was so quiet with the phones on and no source audio. I've not tried the HA-2 with IEM's, and I have quite a few to choose from, so will see if I can hear any hiss with them. But for headphone use the HA-2 seems dead quiet. I did try them with Oppo PM-1 and PM-2, and several Audio-Technica headphones, and same results, no hiss. 

The unit does run a bit warm, but this is expected for an amplifier of this design. Everyone who saw the combo asked to listen to them, and once they did wrote down the Oppo website in their phones. 

I have the white models, which are quite cool looking, but I think I preferred the black design a bit more. Why the white models? My wife and son said "Get the white ones, you have so many black headphones already" so.. white model it was!

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #480 of 4,883
  Thank for the prompt reply Sonic. Hopefully its not much of a concern as i intend to keep both the HA-2 and iphone in my bag while i m travelling around. I am just amazed with the level of detail in design and SQ performance. Any recommendation on apps that can play hi-res files ?

Well, I'm not a believer in high rez as I certainly can't hear any difference. So before sinking tons of money into high rez files do yourself a favour and go to the sound science forum here and ask about blind listening testing. In a nutshell there appears to be no valid reason that above 16bits you can hear differences, I think often high rez versions are mastered louder as louder sounds better, or they may be from different masterings sometimes. Anyway go to the sound science forum and ask for some thoughts/advice on amplification and high resolution files. If you play your amp for long periods of time I would at least take it out from the bag once in a while. I'm not sure how much if any impact there might be on the amp, but some ventilation at times is always a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back