OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Mar 17, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #421 of 4,883

Glad to hear that you benefited from good customer service. Sorry that the hiss is just too much for you. 

We should reiterate this: those that have problems with hiss, have problems with hiss with anything. It is the major reason that I prefer NOT to use amps or external equipment, and that I cannot use AK100 unless through certain earphones. I buy equipment based on how little it hisses. But prior to old batbones above me, I was considered headfi's hiss king. I may have to pass my crown on. 

Again, the amount of hiss the HA-2 generates is on par with:

iPod 5G
iPod nano 1G (or a bit less)
AK100

It is MUCH lower than:

Cypher Labs 720
ALO Rx
PortaDAC 1866
and many more

It is a great device.

Thanks... Have to strongly disagree with this though.

The HA-2 is absolutely not on par with any of the iOS devices... What would lead you to believe this? They have some of the blackest backgrounds in the industry. I can't comment on the AK100, but the HA-2 is definitely louder than the AK10, which in my experience was on par with the iOS devices... As for the others, no experience with them.

I've listened to my SE846 with a Resonessence Labs Concero HP with no hiss, an IFI Micro iDSD (which is absurdly overpowered for a portable) with no hiss... Plenty of things with no hiss. Maybe I'm not understanding, but you did say essentially that anyone who hears hiss with the HA-2 will hear hiss with anything, correct?..

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #422 of 4,883
My HA-2 arrived this morning from Custom Cable, excellent service only ordered yesterday afternoon.
Its a lovely looking unit and is so slim compared to my last DAC(Sony PHA2).
Only tried it for an hour or so this morning but very impressed. Used it with my Note 4 and AKG K3003i. No hiss for me with the k3003. Sounds great, takes the Note 4 to a similar level as the DX90.
Could you comment more comparing to DX90. I'm looking for best sound and thinking about oppo to my S4 or DX90, or X5 ))

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #423 of 4,883
Could you comment more comparing to DX90. I'm looking for best sound and thinking about oppo to my S4 or DX90, or X5 ))

To me the HA-2 and Note 4 was more or less the same as the DX90 and in some respects better.  Bass response feels a bit more present than the Dx90.  Mids and highs to me sound much the same as does the depth and soundstage of the music.  I'd say that the HA-2 also just pips it in terms of separation of instruments. 
To be honest there is very little in it but for me this is ideal.  The Dx90 is now sold and I can use a one for all solution that is not too bulky and has great sound quality. 

I'm assuming but I might be way off the mark here that there shouldn't be a great deal between the SQ of a HA-2/smartphone vs DX90 as I think they use the same DAC although the DX90 does use 2 of them.  Although I know that there are factors to take into account, amp section quality etc.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #424 of 4,883
+1 @ above. you will most likely find minimal or very subtle differences. not really worth worrying about & probably not that noticeable without direct extended comparisons. the amp & dac honestly really only offers marginal improvements even when you scale up to really expensive components (compared to headphone & source where the distinctions in sound is a lot more apparent).

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #425 of 4,883
Does anyone elses power supply make a Buzzing noise when it is plugged in I have a UK version, not sure if it did it from new or not, my son came to me with it and told me it was making a noise, it continues to make a noise for a while after being unplugged which he found quite amusing.

In a quiet room you can hear it from several feet away.

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #426 of 4,883

The HA-2 is absolutely not on par with any of the iOS devices... What would lead you to believe this? They have some of the blackest backgrounds in the industry. I can't comment on the AK100, but the HA-2 is definitely louder than the AK10, which in my experience was on par with the iOS devices... As for the others, no experience with them.

I've listened to my SE846 with a Resonessence Labs Concero HP with no hiss, an IFI Micro iDSD (which is absurdly overpowered for a portable) with no hiss... Plenty of things with no hiss. Maybe I'm not understanding, but you did say essentially that anyone who hears hiss with the HA-2 will hear hiss with anything, correct?..

If you read my list again you will notice that I didn't mention any iOS devices. I mentioned iPods from 2005. They had noisy backgrounds that are a bit louder than the AK100. Newer iDevices (from 2008 onward) are quiet. Some are near silent. But older ones are NOT at all silent through earphones that hiss through the HA-2. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #427 of 4,883
@shigzeo - this is confusing. You say you prefer not to use amps because of hiss yet I've heard others say that by pairing a DAP with an amp, they eliminate the hiss. I

George, many amps hiss MUCH more than good sources. Again, I choose sources based on how they hiss, among other things. My current favourite is the iPod nano 7G, which is nearly silent. Its competition is the Calyx M. The AK240 hisses a bit more than it, but it is close. 

Most amps generate more noise than a current iPod.

That said, if your amp hisses LESS than a source, you can minimise the source hiss by clicking on an amp. Use the source at high volume levels, or use the line out (if the line out is even decent - often it is not), then connect the amp and use it at comfortable listening levels. That will all but eliminate the worst hiss. I did this with horrible hissers like the AMP3 and the Sony A828, etc. 

Not necessary with an iPod nano 7G, which also has a very decent headphone output. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #428 of 4,883

I was a beta tester, so my comments are for the beta units I had only.  I haven't heard the retail model yet.  If you are one to hear hiss (I am), you will likely hear hiss with the HA-2 and very sensitive multi driver iems or custom iems.  I have a pair of 1964 ears quads that seem to expose hiss with anything that has it.  With the quads, I hear a bit of hiss, constant volume, regardless of volume pot setting.  It is audible, not annoying to me, and is pretty quickly covered by any playing music.  It technically does raise the noise floor though.

I do not hear hiss with the PM-1, the PM-3 beta unit or my Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime.

For my use, I have really forgone amps with the 1964 ears iems.  II also feel the amp section in an iPhone 4S, 5S and probably the 6's (haven't heard them) are really just fine with my custom iem's, so I don't bother with the additional fussing of an amp.  This being the case, the hiss doesn't really bother me - I won't be using it with my ciems, and I don't hear it with any headphones I use.  If you are getting the HA-2 strictly for sensitive iem's, your mileage may vary.  Some hear hiss, some don't. of those who hear it, some are more bothered by it than others.

Note all the above comments are using an iphone 5S as source, either with Tidal or with music stored on the phone.

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #429 of 4,883
would any of you recommedn me the warranty in it's extended version? i gets $1000 mexican pesos more expensive than withouth extended warranty... so i am debating, in contrast my walkman A17 +2 year extension was only 700 pesos so it has 2 yrs + the standard one year sony

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #430 of 4,883

I was a beta tester, so my comments are for the beta units I had only.  I haven't heard the retail model yet. 

For the HA-2 there is no manufacturing change between the last beta samples that you received (retail boxing) and the final retail build. So your experience is indicative of the final product. (unlike the PM-3).

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #431 of 4,883
I'll probably do a binaural review video soon *fingers crossed that there's a sunny day in the near future for decent lighting, hahaha*, but I did make this unboxing video last month.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0BqPRCiibY[/video]

9:33 - Box overview
12:45 - HA-2
13:57 - VOOC wall adaptor
15:01 - Accessory tray
15:22 - VOOC USB cable
16:47 - Silicone bands
17:15 - Lightning-USB A, microUSB OTG-microUSB, and 90˚-90˚ interconnect cables
18:17 - User manual
20:30 - HA-2 overview
21:58 - Plugging in USB A cable
22:13 - Plugging in microUSB cable
22:28 - Plugging in 3.5 mm interconnect
It was done for ASMR purposes, so it'll probably seem like a weird video to most people. XD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #432 of 4,883
  Called OPPO today regarding the hiss and my SE846...

Unfortunately, I was informed that they have determined the HA-2 will hiss with the SE846... But whether or not you hear it does in fact come down to individual ears. I'll be damned, sounded very loud to me. But then again, I've been accused of having bat ears.

At any rate, OPPO has terrific customer service, they were very cool about issuing me a return label, no hassles at all. 

I'm bummed. It's a terrific little portable unit which I think has a fantastic sound when used with full-size cans and higher impedance IEMs. And one of the sexiest form-factors I've ever seen... It matched so well with my iPod Touch 5g silver/black, right down to the chamfered polished edges. But I'm looking for something for on-the-go with the SE846, so back it goes.

Pie-in-the-sky thinking, but how cool would a mid-product run update be, with sensitivity settings for IEMs, like the IFI Micro iDSD... What do you think, OPPO? Maybe an HA-2.2 next year? I'd be all over that!

FOR ME I DONT EXPERIENCE ANY HISS WITH HA-2, PAIRING WITH MY AK100ii AND IPHONE 6 THERE'S NO HISS THAT I ENCOUNTER. I TRIED BOTH ON HIGH AND LOW GAIN, SMALL AMOUNT OF VOLUME AND UP TO THE MAX. STILL I DID NOT HEAR ANYTHING LIKE HISS. BUT WHEN I TRIED MY FRIEND CYPHER LAB PICOLLO SOLO THERE IS VERY LOUD HISS ON VOLUME WITHOUT MUSIC. IM USING SE846 AND W60. I THINK THERE IS ALSO A CONNECTION ON THE DAP YOU ARE USING.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #435 of 4,883
  The Picollo is considered to be one of the quietest amps for IEMS, it doesn't hiss with any of my hiss sentisitive monitors. Strange world

I AUDITIONED ALSO TWO SETS OF PICOLLO SOLO IN A STORE HERE IN THE PHILIPPINES WITH MY AK100ii AND SE846, TURN UP THE VOLUME KNOB WITHOUT MUSIC PLAYING, THE FLOOR NOISE IS VISIBLE THATS WHY I DID NOT BUY ONE INSTEAD I GOT THE JDS LABS C5D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back