OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jan 8, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #4,051 of 4,883
@nwavesailor That's great news. I'm glad the Nano is capable of digital output.

@erich6 got it right regarding the amping/double amping. Going out of the line out of the SE to your tube won't double amp.

Yes, I'm glad the iPod Nano provides digital output. I'm also glad the HA-2SE has a line out to my amp w/o double amping!

I'm sure there are plenty of better DAC's out there. The HA-2SE, at least for me, provided a huge step up in detail from the Wolfson DAC built into my Lightning to 30 pin adapter ($39) that I had been using to get a digital line out from the Nano to my amp.

Thanks for the help and clarification, TimeLord and erich6

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #4,052 of 4,883

Yeah, that's what I figured. It's really hit or miss whether the PS4 has the proper drivers to support a USB DAC. My Cayin C5DAC is detected, but it doesn't output any audio for some reason. 

Keep me posted if you find a way to make it work though. 

​Yeah , If there's no audio but its detected and showing as a USB DAC you have to tell the PS4 to output all audio through the DAC other wise it only outputs chat audio to the DAC , Option is under settings > devices > Audio .

Will Do .

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #4,053 of 4,883
Anyone find a nice fitting AVA hard case for the HA-2?

Small, snug fit and just enough room for a cable on the netting side.

I found this picture in the gallery with a great fitting case for the HA-2 but that HeadFi member isn't active and has not returned a PM.

I have searched Amazon and E-Bay and the best options appear to be hard drive cases but they are far too wide for the HA-2.
FiiO makes a case but it's meant to hold 2 devices, a DAP and AMP, so it's thicker than I need but this may be as close as I can get. I figured most smart phones are close to this size and it would be easy to find.

Any help would be appreciated................way too much time spent on this snipe hunt!

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #4,054 of 4,883
  Anyone find a nice fitting AVA hard case for the HA-2?

Small, snug fit and just enough room for a cable on the netting side.

I found this picture in the gallery with a great fitting case for the HA-2 but that HeadFi member isn't active and has not returned a PM.

I have searched Amazon and E-Bay and the best options appear to be hard drive cases but they are far too wide for the HA-2.
FiiO makes a case but it's meant to hold 2 devices, a DAP and AMP, so it's thicker than I need but this may be as close as I can get. I figured most smart phones are close to this size and it would be easy to find.

Any help would be appreciated................way too much time spent on this snipe hunt!

I have one of those cases and it is really an HDD case. The HA 2 does fit in it, a little tight on the top and bottom corners, but not too bad. There is some room on the sides, but it doesn't move around because of the top and bottom fit and elastic strap.
I have to take a closer look when I get home to see if the case itself has any indication of a model number. Beyond that, I would have to look at Amazon purchases. I bought a few different cases trying to find something that would fit the HA_2.  On most of them the long dimension was just a bit too short.

I will let you know what I come up with.

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #4,055 of 4,883

I have one of those cases and it is really an HDD case. The HA 2 does fit in it, a little tight on the top and bottom corners, but not too bad. There is some room on the sides, but it doesn't move around because of the top and bottom fit and elastic strap.
I have to take a closer look when I get home to see if the case itself has any indication of a model number. Beyond that, I would have to look at Amazon purchases. I bought a few different cases trying to find something that would fit the HA_2.  On most of them the long dimension was just a bit too short.

I will let you know what I come up with.

Thank you mandrake50............I appreciate the help in finding a decent case for the HA-2!!!

I'll take a hair tight vs. floating around in a oversized case.

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #4,056 of 4,883

I bought this on my vacation in Asia for $1. Using it to store my Oppo HA-2, it's accessories and Shure SE846. I bought a whole bunch of variations for different purposes. You could try to use keywords such as camera pouch on eBay to search for one.

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #4,057 of 4,883

I bought this on my vacation in Asia for $1. Using it to store my Oppo HA-2, it's accessories and Shure SE846. I bought a whole bunch of variations for different purposes. You could try to use keywords such as camera pouch on eBay to search for one.

Thanks, sOny!
Yes something like that would work size wise for the HA-2.
I've just spent way too much time checking sizes and then reading reviews that differed in interior dimensions . I figured if some HeadFier had already found one that fit, like yours, for their HA-2, this would be the faster route to go.

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #4,058 of 4,883
Longshot here, but for anyone who has taken the leather cover off - there is a black film under the leather. Is that like EMF shielding film?

I have been refining the design I posted about here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/755879/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac-discussion-thread/3930#post_13028948

It works just fine with the rubber bands omitted so, that shaved off another ~2mm of thickness.
I have experimented with the height of the clip also. Seems like 20mm is ideal - 5 or 10mm leaves too much left/right play and it doesn't hold well. 

Next step is to remove the leather and go for the thinnest solution possible. I don't want to leave the aluminum exposed, so I'm going to put one of those clear adhesive vinyl films on it (like the ZAGG Invisibleshield). 

My only concern is that the black film is intended to act as shielding from wireless signals and I'll end up making the amp noisy or causing more disconnects.

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #4,059 of 4,883
Thanks, sOny!
I've just spent way too much time checking sizes and then reading reviews that differed in interior dimensions . I figured if some HeadFier had already found one that fit, like yours, for their HA-2, this would be the faster route to go.
I suspected at least a couple of them would have a good fit for my AK100II, HA-2 and other stuff. The sizes were a gamble for me.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #4,060 of 4,883

Thanks, sOny!

I suspected at least a couple of them would have a good fit for my AK100II, HA-2 and other stuff. The sizes were a gamble for me.

I am sorry.. I am using a larger case now.
This is it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VVH8Y6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plenty of room top to bottom  and side to side. If anything a bit on the large side, but the elastic strap keeps the HA-2 well in place.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #4,061 of 4,883

This is it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VVH8Y6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plenty of room top to bottom  and side to side. If anything a bit on the large side, but the elastic strap keeps the HA-2 well in place.

Thanks for looking up which case you had snagged on Amazon, mandrake50 !

I decided to get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH6AZ2S/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1M0QAXHRTQIQW

After seeing several pictures that looked like a close to perfect fit, I was looking for a similar size. I had considered a few offerings from Case Logic but then read Amazon reviews showing real dimensions. Some that were supposed to fit (at 5.3") were in reality less than 5" and would not fit the HA-2.

Thanks again, mandrake50 !

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #4,062 of 4,883

This is it

Thanks for looking up which case you had snagged on Amazon, mandrake50 !

I decided to get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH6AZ2S/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1M0QAXHRTQIQW

After seeing several pictures that looked like a close to perfect fit, I was looking for a similar size. I had considered a few offerings from Case Logic but then read Amazon reviews showing real dimensions. Some that were supposed to fit (at 5.3") were in reality less than 5" and would not fit the HA-2.

Thanks again, mandrake50 !

You are most welcome. Do let us know how it works for you once you get the case in hand. For the price I may want to get one and give it a try. The smaller on I had, I was concerned because it was a tight fit. The corners of the HA 2 compressed the padding where they contacted the inside of the case. I was concerned bout the possibility of damage if I dropped it. I ended up buying about 6 different cases before I settled on the on I sent the link for. I wouldn't mind picking up another if it is better.

Don't worry, I ended up using them all for other audio related "stuff".
gs1000.gif

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #4,063 of 4,883

You are most welcome. Do let us know how it works for you once you get the case in hand. For the price I may want to get one and give it a try. The smaller on I had, I was concerned because it was a tight fit. The corners of the HA 2 compressed the padding where they contacted the inside of the case. I was concerned bout the possibility of damage if I dropped it. I ended up buying about 6 different cases before I settled on the on I sent the link for. I wouldn't mind picking up another if it is better.

Don't worry, I ended up using them all for other audio related "stuff".
gs1000.gif

I will do so!

Hopefully the HA-2 fits nicely.............we'll see.

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #4,064 of 4,883
Has anybody done any comparison with the C5D from JDS Labs?
Does it have any musicality SQ-wise?

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #4,065 of 4,883
  Has anybody done any comparison with the C5D from JDS Labs?
Does it have any musicality SQ-wise?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the HA-2 is generally considered to be better since it is using a newer, higher end DAC, not sure about the AMP. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back