OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jan 8, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #4,037 of 4,883
I have now played my HA-2SE for about 4-5 hours and it is exactly what I hoped it would be and has added a very nice level of detail that I was looking for in a small DAC. If that was all it did, and it did it this nicely , I'd be OK at that......."but wait there's more!"  Used alone as a DAC / amp it sounds very good and works well. Line out to a table top tube amp is very nice as well. Using an iPod Nano, I also get the benefit of a charge from the battery of the HA-2 if my iPod battery gets low.

I was hoping this worked  as advertised AND sounded good and IMO it really does. I am keeping this puppy!!!!!

Are you saying you got the iPod Nano to output through lightning port to the SE and charge from the SE? I didn't think the Nano could do that.

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #4,039 of 4,883
Are you saying you got the iPod Nano to output through lightning port to the SE and charge from the SE? I didn't think the Nano could do that.

Yep!

I thought it needed to be a IOS device, but Oppo tech support assured me the iPod Nano (7th gen) would charge from the Oppo HA-2SE and it does! The iPod Nano was the limiting factor for me with fairly short battery life using line out. Now, if it gets low, I just push the button and the Oppo Mobile Power Bank charges the iPod!!!

SWEET!!!

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #4,040 of 4,883

Yep!

I thought it needed to be a IOS device, but Oppo tech support assured me the iPod Nano (7th gen) would charge from the Oppo HA-2SE and it does! The iPod Nano was the limiting factor for me with fairly short battery life using line out. Now, if it gets low, I just push the button and the Oppo Mobile Power Bank charges the iPod!!!

SWEET!!!

Ok, it charges via the SE, but you are not outputting digitally from the Nano to the SE via lightning port. You are using the SE's line-in and thus double amplifying. Is that right?

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #4,041 of 4,883

Ok, it charges via the SE, "but you are not outputting digitally from the Nano to the SE via lightning port". You are using the SE's line-in and thus double amplifying. Is that right?

I use a Lightning to USB cable from the Nano to the HA-2SE so I believe I am outputting digitally from the Nano to the HA-2. I did check with Oppo support and they confirmed this configuration:

Yes, the HA-2SE will work with the iPod Nano 7th Gen. So you will just use Lightning to USB so the HA-2SE is the DAC. If you use the Line Out you are using the DAC of the iPod Nano which will give you worse results.

The HA-2SE can then be connected to a receiver or amplifier for audio using the headphone output to an amplifier or the line out to a receiver with volume controls.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

If I want to listen with the Nano and HA-2SE w/o another amp I use the lightning to USB cable, I then use the headphone jack and I'm good. If I want to then go through my tube amp, I use line out jack from the HA-2SE into a tube amp inputs, so yes at that point I (edit: may be?) double amping. I am always using the Lightning to USB from the Nano for input into the HA-2SE w or w/o another amp.

Please correct me if I'm confused!
blink.gif

If the signal comes from the iPod, via the Lightning to USB cable, and into the HA-2 I am using 'line out' from the iPod and bypassing it's DAC and using the DAC of the HA-2 not the DAC of the iPod.

If I then take the signal from the HA-2 using the HA-2 line out and into my table top amp, I'm pretty sure I am still using the HA-2 DAC signal into the table top amp.........but as I mentioned I could be confused!

Also a note from ClieOS:

I think an iPod (he knew I had a iPod Nano) digitally feeding a HA-2 can rival most upper mid level DAP. Sure, there will be difference in sound signature, but not so much in overall quality.

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #4,042 of 4,883

I use a Lightning to USB cable from the Nano to the HA-2SE so I believe I am outputting digitally from the Nano to the HA-2. I did check with Oppo support and they confirmed this configuration:

Yes, the HA-2SE will work with the iPod Nano 7th Gen. So you will just use Lightning to USB so the HA-2SE is the DAC. If you use the Line Out you are using the DAC of the iPod Nano which will give you worse results.

The HA-2SE can then be connected to a receiver or amplifier for audio using the headphone output to an amplifier or the line out to a receiver with volume controls.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

If I want to listen with the Nano and HA-2SE w/o another amp I use the lightning to USB cable, I then use the headphone jack and I'm good. If I want to then go through my tube amp, I use line out jack from the HA-2SE into a tube amp inputs, so yes at that point I am indeed double amping. I am always using the Lightning to USB from the Nano for input into the HA-2SE w or w/o another amp.

Please correct me if I'm confused!
blink.gif

If the signal comes from the iPod, via the Lightning to USB cable, and into the HA-2 I am using 'line out' from the iPod and bypassing it's DAC and using the DAC of the HA-2 not the DAC of the iPod.

If I then take the signal from the HA-2 using the HA-2 line out and into my table top amp, I'm pretty sure I am still using the HA-2 DAC signal into the table top amp.........but as I mentioned I could be confused!

Also a note from ClieOS:

I think an iPod (he knew I had a iPod Nano) digitally feeding a HA-2 can rival most upper mid level DAP. Sure, there will be difference in sound signature, but not so much in overall quality.

​I think you have it right except I think when you use the line out of the HA-2 to your tube amp  you are bypassing the HA-2's amp so you are not "double-amping" (if you hooked up the headphone output to your tube amp then you would be "double-amping").

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #4,043 of 4,883

​I think you have it right except I think when you use the line out of the HA-2 to your tube amp  you are bypassing the HA-2's amp so you are not "double-amping" (if you hooked up the headphone output to your tube amp then you would be "double-amping").

Single or double amping, I'm fine with either.

I just wanted to be sure I was using the HA-2SE's DAC, either alone as a DAC/amp or with my table top tube amp. My ears and the level of detail I am hearing tell me this is the case, but wanted to be sure I was not confused!!!

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #4,044 of 4,883

Single or double amping, I'm fine with either.

I just wanted to be sure I was using the HA-2SE's DAC, either alone as a DAC/amp or with my table top tube amp. My ears and the level of detail I am hearing tell me this is the case, but wanted to be sure I was not confused!!!

​The only way I know you can bypass the HA-2's DAC is if you set it to Mode C and connect a player to the analog line-in port so yeah, you are using the DAC if you are using Mode A and the lightning cable.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #4,045 of 4,883

​The only way I know you can bypass the HA-2's DAC is if you set it to Mode C and connect a player to the analog line-in port so yeah, you are using the DAC if you are using Mode A and the lightning cable.

Very good!

I was hoping that by using the Lightning to USB cable & mode A was the case, but was not 100% certain.
The sound of the HA-2SE DAC, IMO, is truly stunning. I am one happy guy.........
L3000.gif

Thanks erich6!!!!!!!

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #4,048 of 4,883

​I tried mine on the PS4 , nothing seems to happen as I don't think the PS4 recognises / sees the Oppo Ha2

My AK70 Connects and shows up as a USB DAC , Ill try the Oppo again .

Yeah, that's what I figured. It's really hit or miss whether the PS4 has the proper drivers to support a USB DAC. My Cayin C5DAC is detected, but it doesn't output any audio for some reason. 

Keep me posted if you find a way to make it work though. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #4,049 of 4,883
with my WM1A walkman driving thr MDR-Z7 and XBA-Z5 to ist full potential on SE i think there is no need for Oppo HA-2 with the wm1 series

Users who are viewing this thread

Back