OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jan 7, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #4,021 of 4,883
  Has anyone been able to get this to work with a PS4, via one of the USB ports? I can't seem to find a clear answer on whether this is possible.

​I tried mine on the PS4 , nothing seems to happen as I don't think the PS4 recognises / sees the Oppo Ha2

My AK70 Connects and shows up as a USB DAC , Ill try the Oppo again .

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #4,022 of 4,883
Same here, Combining my Westone IEM's with a HA2-se was a revelation. I don't know why People keep saying the mojo is better. The sheer clarity and the smoothness of the sound which the oppo produces is unmatched. Maybe if you need to power huge high impedance headphones the mojo would perform better, but the OPPO shines with IEM's and Planar magnetic Headphones really well. 

On the Mojo you have it backwards. It's the DAC in the Mojo that makes it great. Its amplifier is its weakest component.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #4,023 of 4,883

I own the HA-2SE and have heard the Mojo and the Dragonfly Red/Black DACs (​I haven't heard the iFi Nano iDSD).  The Mojo is the best one and the HA-2SE is a close second.  For the price, I think the HA-2SE is the best value.  Since you use iPad/iPhone devices, the Mojo and Dragonfly options may be less convenient because you have to also get the "Camera Connection Kit" (sold separately) so now you have a dongle, plus the USB cable, then the DAC.  With the HA-2SE you can just plug in your lighting cable/USB to the device and it works.  It also has the feature that it can charge your phone if you need it on a pinch.  Finally, I like the line-out option for using other amps.

This is really good information. I'm currently DAC shopping after just having purchased my first "real" set of audiophile cans. I bought some Sennheiser HD800's. I listened to both the Chord Mojo and  the HA2-SE and thought they were both excellent. I'm going back and forth in my mind on which is the right one for me. I think they both did a great job at driving the HD800 and both sounded excellent. The slim profile of the HA2-SE is very appealing. I know either would also be great with a future tube headphone amp set up. It's a tough decision for sure. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #4,024 of 4,883

This is really good information. I'm currently DAC shopping after just having purchased my first "real" set of audiophile cans. I bought some Sennheiser HD800's. I listened to both the Chord Mojo and  the HA2-SE and thought they were both excellent. I'm going back and forth in my mind on which is the right one for me. I think they both did a great job at driving the HD800 and both sounded excellent. The slim profile of the HA2-SE is very appealing. I know either would also be great with a future tube headphone amp set up. It's a tough decision for sure. 

​I was struggling with that decision also but finally went with the Oppo and no regrets so far! I have it paired with a hybrid tube amp and it works great. 

Here's another feature the Oppo offers (not sure if Mojo has it...probably does).  When connected to a computer, you can adjust the DAC volume from the Oppo control panel and use it as a "digital gain" setting.  So, if you have sensitive HPs connected to an amp you can bring the gain down (works in the line-out also) and give yourself finer volume control with your amp.  The digital gain setting has no effect on the dynamic range and resolution of the audio stream.  I think you can do this also with an iPhone by simply changing the volume on the phone....

I figured if I didn't like the Oppo once I got it I could return it.  I'm happy to say it's a keeper.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #4,025 of 4,883
For those of you interested in MQA decoding, I contacted Oppo and they said their "ability to support MQA is being investigated, but at this time we do not know if we can add this technology to our current line of players and personal audio products."  If this is something you would like I encourage you to email customer service and let them know.  If they hear more people asking for it they might give it more priority.

​Also, doesn't hurt to remind them their competitors are doing it!

​In the meantime, I'm enjoying the MQA software decoding in Tidal. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #4,026 of 4,883
Same here, Combining my Westone IEM's with a HA2-se was a revelation. I don't know why People keep saying the mojo is better. The sheer clarity and the smoothness of the sound which the oppo produces is unmatched. Maybe if you need to power huge high impedance headphones the mojo would perform better, but the OPPO shines with IEM's and Planar magnetic Headphones really well. 
Oppo HA-2 + Shure SE846 is the best sounding portable setup I ever had. The sound quality is jaw-dropping. I sold my AK100II because it's sound quality didn't meet my expectations, especially being such an expensive device.

I'm tempted to buy the HA-2SE but I'll wait for the HA-3 if it will be released.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #4,027 of 4,883
Was wondering if anybody can clarify: using the ha-2SE with iPhone via lighting port and with a Windows PC via USB:

1-volume control on ha-2SE doesn't do anything. Moving it up or down changes nothing in the volume. Only thing it does is turning on /off
2-even increasing the volume to maximum on iPhone or PC leaves it too low. Basically I get a higher volume without using the portable amp (ironically...)
3-bass gain switch makes no difference either
4-both with the PC and with the iPhone I lose connection all the damn time. Even if I'm not touching anything. One of the most annoying things ever. No way I can use this as a portable device with such a bad reliability

Can you please confirm these indicate a defective unit? I'm returning this one but not sure if I even want a replacement unit or just use something else that actually works.

Device is fully charged and tried several different cables.

Thanks

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #4,028 of 4,883
Was wondering if anybody can clarify: using the ha-2SE with iPhone via lighting port and with a Windows PC via USB:

1-volume control on ha-2SE doesn't do anything. Moving it up or down changes nothing in the volume. Only thing it does is turning on /off
2-even increasing the volume to maximum on iPhone or PC leaves it too low. Basically I get a higher volume without using the portable amp (ironically...)
4-both with the PC and with the iPhone I lose connection all the damn time. Even if I'm not touching anything. One of the most annoying things ever. No way I can use this as a portable device with such a bad reliability

Can you please confirm these indicate a defective unit? I'm returning this one but not sure if I even want a replacement unit or just use something else that actually works.

Thanks

I'm sure others will chime in but contacting Oppo CS seems the logical first step.

I just received my HA-2SE and have used it alone with a modest iPod Nano (Lightning to USB cable) w/o any connection issues or drop outs. I have also used it 'line out' to a tube amp w/o issues. Great sound either way!

I have had great support from Oppo with any questions regarding connection options prior to purchase. I even received replies on New Years Day!   
basshead.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #4,029 of 4,883
I'm going to ask some obvious questions just to rule out anything but a defective device...

For iPhone:
Did you use either the cable that came from Oppo or an official Apple lightning cable?
What application are you using to play music? If other than the stock apple player, does the 3rd party app recognize the HA-2 SE?
What level is the volume set on the iPhone? Make sure it is at least 50% high.

For PC:
Did you load the Oppo drivers to your PC?
If you go into Control Panel and then into Sound, is the HA-2 SE shown as a playback device? Is it selected as the default playback device?
What player are you using on the PC?
At what level do you have the output volume set on the PC? Set the volume to 100% on the PC.

Let's start here and see if we can rule out any problems that may come from the above.

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #4,030 of 4,883
1-tried both the cables that came with it and a bunch of others, same thing
2-tried spotify and HF player
3-yes they all recognize the device correctly
4-volume at 100%

Pc:
1-yes I loaded the correct drivers
2-yes it shows and yes it's the default device
3-tried a bunch but mostly tried with VLC just to test it
4-yes I tried at 100%

At this point in convinced that either this device is defective or it doesn't work as advertised. Thanks

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #4,031 of 4,883
1-tried both the cables that came with it and a bunch of others, same thing
2-tried spotify and HF player
3-yes they all recognize the device correctly
4-volume at 100%

Pc:
1-yes I loaded the correct drivers
2-yes it shows and yes it's the default device
3-tried a bunch but mostly tried with VLC just to test it
4-yes I tried at 100%

At this point in convinced that either this device is defective or it doesn't work as advertised. Thanks

Just to be sure, I just tried all of the combinations above and it works flawlessly. On the PC side, both the system volume and VLC's volume affected the line level that the HA-2 SE sees. So I did set the system volume and VLC's volume to 100%. I can then manipulate the volume to whatever level using the HA-2 SE.

It sounds like you have a defective unit. Oppo really does have a good customer service department, so I would contact them. It's unfortunate you got a bad unit, but I would not give up on the HA-2 SE quite yet.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #4,032 of 4,883

Thanks

Might be a stupid question but you're sure you haven't plugged your headphones into the Line Out jack?

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #4,035 of 4,883
I have now played my HA-2SE for about 4-5 hours and it is exactly what I hoped it would be and has added a very nice level of detail that I was looking for in a small DAC. If that was all it did, and it did it this nicely , I'd be OK at that......."but wait there's more!"  Used alone as a DAC / amp it sounds very good and works well. Line out to a table top tube amp is very nice as well. Using an iPod Nano, I also get the benefit of a charge from the battery of the HA-2 if my iPod battery gets low.

I was hoping this worked  as advertised AND sounded good and IMO it really does. I am keeping this puppy!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back