OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jan 5, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #4,007 of 4,883
If the phone is charging the HA-2 it is already a no go for me. If the HA-2 is more than half discharged it will just drain the phone battery while playing music. What's the point of using it? It should be the other way around - the HA-2 should serve as a power bank. Or at least not drain the phone battery.

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #4,008 of 4,883
  If the phone is charging the HA-2 it is already a no go for me. If the HA-2 is more than half discharged it will just drain the phone battery while playing music. What's the point of using it? It should be the other way around - the HA-2 should serve as a power bank. Or at least not drain the phone battery.

Perhaps a good old fashioned talk to a real human at Oppo tech support would resolve your issues and get things figured out without a string of emails back and forth. They are quick to reply via email, but if I can't figure out why something is not working as I expect ..............HA-2 draining your phone's battery?.....................their tech guys will figure it out and let you know how or why X or Y is happening.

I have NEVER talked to someone at their tech support that didn't know the answer AND always got right through to a live person!!!

650-961-1118

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #4,009 of 4,883
Hi all,

I have been considering buying my first USB DAC/headphone amp, and could use some insight from all of you if you wouldn't mind :)

I have Shure SE425 IEMs along with an iPhone and iPad. The DAC/AMP will be used about 80% at the office, 10% on the go, 10% at home, so "transportability" is acceptable, and I don't need a small form factor for carrying in a pants pocket.

I am buying my DAC/AMP through Amazon, as I have some gift cards. I have been considering the HA-2 SE, but am wondering if saving longer and buying the iFi Micro iDSD or even Chord Mojo would be worth it considering they would be more expensive than my IEMs? Is the HA2-SE even "too much" for my Shures, and I should go even cheaper like the the iFi Nano iDSD?

In my position, what would you recommend? Is the HA-2 SE a good "bang for the buck" idea, or would you save up for Mojo/Micro iDSD, or would you go even cheaper, considering my IEMs?

Thanks!
-Tyler

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #4,010 of 4,883
  Hi all,

I have been considering buying my first USB DAC/headphone amp, and could use some insight from all of you if you wouldn't mind :)

I have Shure SE425 IEMs along with an iPhone and iPad. The DAC/AMP will be used about 80% at the office, 10% on the go, 10% at home, so "transportability" is acceptable, and I don't need a small form factor for carrying in a pants pocket.

I am buying my DAC/AMP through Amazon, as I have some gift cards. I have been considering the HA-2 SE, but am wondering if saving longer and buying the iFi Micro iDSD or even Chord Mojo would be worth it considering they would be more expensive than my IEMs? Is the HA2-SE even "too much" for my Shures, and I should go even cheaper like the the iFi Nano iDSD?

In my position, what would you recommend? Is the HA-2 SE a good "bang for the buck" idea, or would you save up for Mojo/Micro iDSD, or would you go even cheaper, considering my IEMs?

Thanks!
-Tyler

I've not had the SE425's but did come from SE535's and now SE846's. Not sure if the SE424 is as sensitive but first DAC I tried was the original HA-2 and while it sounded nice there was an unacceptable level of background hiss for me. SE version may have eliminated this.

I currently use a Chord Mojo but also had a Dragonfly Red until recently.

Off all the ones you mention I'd say the Mojo is the winner on sound quality and if SQ is your No.1 requirement then its worth the extra cost especially if playing high-def FLAC and DSD files.

If you don't want to spend as much yet still get 90% of Mojo Quality sound and not using with Android device then I'd highly recommend the Dragonfly Red as less than half the price of Mojo, no concern over charging it and highly portable. Unless your playing lots of DSD or Hi-def above 96KHz then the DFR is fantastic (the Mojo excels with DSD IMO).

Make sure you get the USB3 Apple cable to ensure no clicking issues with Apple devices. If your using with Android other than via UAPP app the DFB/DFR have volume issues and I lost confidence in AudioQuest fixing this.

One final point. In my search for ever better audio quality I'd put your money in ear/headphones as the priority over the DAC/AMP. The biggest step I've had in audio was going from SE535's to SE846's which even today after owning them for over a year amazes me how much better they are than even the highly regarded SE535's. Only ones I'd consider now are the Noble K10/Encore/Katana range but way over my price tolerance at $1800+ !!  

No idea if the SE425's will resolve the enhanced audio with an external DAC but they certainly do with my SE846's

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #4,011 of 4,883
  Hi all,

Thanks!
-Tyler

I own the HA-2SE and have heard the Mojo and the Dragonfly Red/Black DACs (​I haven't heard the iFi Nano iDSD).  The Mojo is the best one and the HA-2SE is a close second.  For the price, I think the HA-2SE is the best value.  Since you use iPad/iPhone devices, the Mojo and Dragonfly options may be less convenient because you have to also get the "Camera Connection Kit" (sold separately) so now you have a dongle, plus the USB cable, then the DAC.  With the HA-2SE you can just plug in your lighting cable/USB to the device and it works.  It also has the feature that it can charge your phone if you need it on a pinch.  Finally, I like the line-out option for using other amps.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #4,012 of 4,883
I own the HA-2SE and have heard the Mojo and the Dragonfly Red/Black DACs (​I haven't heard the iFi Nano iDSD).  The Mojo is the best one and the HA-2SE is a close second.  For the price, I think the HA-2SE is the best value.  Since you use iPad/iPhone devices, the Mojo and Dragonfly options may be less convenient because you have to also get the "Camera Connection Kit" (sold separately) so now you have a dongle, plus the USB cable, then the DAC.  With the HA-2SE you can just plug in your lighting cable/USB to the device and it works.  It also has the feature that it can charge your phone if you need it on a pinch.  Finally, I like the line-out option for using other amps.

For anyone that may be using a non-MFi certified DAC/amp like the Mojo, you can avoid having to use the CCK dongle by using cables that bypass the restriction. There are several option out there, but this is one of the cheapest that I have found and it works well. I have tested this cable on a Mojo and a Sony PHA-3.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #4,013 of 4,883
thrand1 I agree with psikey's last advice the most. The first and best way to improve the sound quality of your music is to get a better headphone or IEM. To that end, I would advise you to use your money to get something like the SE846 if you like Shure's sound or another headphone that's well regarded like the Sennheiser HD650/HD6XX. Then get an amplifier and DAC. You get the most bang for your buck by getting a better headphone.

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #4,015 of 4,883
@thrand1 I agree with @psikey's last advice the most. The first and best way to improve the sound quality of your music is to get a better headphone or IEM. To that end, I would advise you to use your money to get something like the SE846 if you like Shure's sound or another headphone that's well regarded like the Sennheiser HD650/HD6XX. Then get an amplifier and DAC. You get the most bang for your buck by getting a better headphone.

I'm using an SE846 with the Oppo HA-2 and it's really the best sounding combination I have so far. I used the SE846 with an Astell & Kern AK100II for a year. Even though the AK100II looks and feels very premium, I always found it's CS4398 DAC to sound unimpressive. I switched to the HA-2. It really made good use of my SE846.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #4,016 of 4,883
Thanks very much @psikey, @erich6, and @TimeLord for your experiences and valuable feedback on this. I definitely agree that upgrading headphones would be the first move to make. My budget is capped at $500 for this upgrade, so something like the SE535s would be at the very top of the budget as far as upgrades go, and then you get that inevitable itch to buy the DAC/AMP as well! So it looks like in my situation something like the HA2-SE may be the best bet in terms of value, and then with a solid DAC/AMP available the next step would be for that upgraded headphone :)

Thanks again for your help and fast feedback, it is much appreciated!

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #4,017 of 4,883
Thanks very much @psikey
, @erich6
, and @TimeLord
for your experiences and valuable feedback on this. I definitely agree that upgrading headphones would be the first move to make. My budget is capped at $500 for this upgrade, so something like the SE535s would be at the very top of the budget as far as upgrades go, and then you get that inevitable itch to buy the DAC/AMP as well! So it looks like in my situation something like the HA2-SE may be the best bet in terms of value, and then with a solid DAC/AMP available the next step would be for that upgraded headphone :)

Thanks again for your help and fast feedback, it is much appreciated!
Hi, I do hope you don't mind me putting in my 2 cents into this discussion, but the 535's are a little 'old hat' nowadays and there are now much better options regarding bang for buck available. Before laying out any coin on the Sure's, please take a look at the iBasso IT03, or LZ A4 threads. Not that I suggest you get either, but it will open your eyes to some much better value IEM's that are available. If you were to purchase the HA-2 as well it may take you slightly over your budget, but it would be well worth waiting another month (or pay day) as it would be a fantastic stepping stone and you would be satisfied for much longer :)

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #4,018 of 4,883
Hi, I do hope you don't mind me putting in my 2 cents into this discussion, but the 535's are a little 'old hat' nowadays and there are now much better options regarding bang for buck available. Before laying out any coin on the Sure's, please take a look at the iBasso IT03, or LZ A4 threads. Not that I suggest you get either, but it will open your eyes to some much better value IEM's that are available. If you were to purchase the HA-2 as well it may take you slightly over your budget, but it would be well worth waiting another month (or pay day) as it would be a fantastic stepping stone and you would be satisfied for much longer
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't mind at all! I was largely using the SE535 as an example :) I have heard them before, and they very nice to listen to, but my main genres of music are rock and metal, so the 425s (in my novice opinion) were a little better matched in certain areas for that versus the 535s. I guess I should have said "upgrade to an IEM in the SE535 price range." I haven't done any serious IEM investigations recently, so thank you for the tips! I'll check them out...a part of me wonders if I can really get a significant upgrade going from 425s (~$250-300 IEM) to something still <$500, especially if I need to still get a DAC/AMP. Now the devil on my shoulder is hinting at a potential new IEM plus maybe the AQ Dragonfly to prevent completely busting the budget...hmmm...

Thanks again everyone for the feedback on the Oppo. I am a longtime fan of their home theater products, and this is definitely in the running.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #4,019 of 4,883

I'm using an SE846 with the Oppo HA-2 and it's really the best sounding combination I have so far. I used the SE846 with an Astell & Kern AK100II for a year. Even though the AK100II looks and feels very premium, I always found it's CS4398 DAC to sound unimpressive. I switched to the HA-2. It really made good use of my SE846.

Same here, Combining my Westone IEM's with a HA2-se was a revelation. I don't know why People keep saying the mojo is better. The sheer clarity and the smoothness of the sound which the oppo produces is unmatched. Maybe if you need to power huge high impedance headphones the mojo would perform better, but the OPPO shines with IEM's and Planar magnetic Headphones really well. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #4,020 of 4,883
  Anyone else constantly tempted to remove the leather jacket on the HA2, just to make it that much thinner?

I realize this would probably end me up with scratches in the long term, but if you think about it...the rubber bands and leather add 3-4mm to each side of the amp. 

I keep thinking about removing the leather, replacing it with vinyl stickers for protection, and making a very thin mount to attach it to my phone.

​I did with my HA-2
biggrin.gif
 Result was not nice at all LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back