Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #5,056 of 5,414
Hey guys - what is the collective recommendation for a streaming solution to the HA-1, given that it does not have an ethernet port at the back?

The amp is next to my bed. I use home plugs to get the signal from my computer downstairs up to the ethernet 'out' socket of the home plug.

What's the best way to then convert from an ethernet port to something the good old HA-1 will recognise please WITHOUT THAT DEVICE PROCESSING ANY SIGNAL but rather, leaving the oppo to do the heavy lifting and DAC processing and amplification?

Any help greatfully received.

Thanks!

You can connect an Apple Touch, iPad, or iPhone (non-wirelessly), using a CCK (Apple Camera Connection Kit) and a standard "USB Type A male" -to-" USB Type B male" cable, connected to the USB input of the HA-1, then use Spotify or Tidal apps, for example, to stream via Wifi. The iDevice would be "tethered," but it works really well and the iDevices have a very low noise floor compared to some other sources you might use with the HA-1's USB input (like a noisy laptop).

The good news here, is that (I'm pretty sure) the HA-1's USB receiver is self-powered - it does not require the USB source to provide 5VDC - which the iDevices cannot do. They can only provide data, not power to a USB DAC.

I use an Uptone Audio USB Regen to improve the USB signal quality right before it goes into a different DAC. If I'm incorrect in my recollection that the HA-1's USB input is self-powered, you could consider getting a USB Regen, which can supply very clean 5VDC power to USB receivers that are not self-powered, in addition to cleaning up the USB data.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #5,057 of 5,414
You can connect an Apple Touch, iPad, or iPhone (non-wirelessly), using a CCK (Apple Camera Connection Kit) and a standard "USB Type A male" -to-" USB Type B male" cable, connected to the USB input of the HA-1, then use Spotify or Tidal apps, for example, to stream via Wifi. The iDevice would be "tethered," but it works really well and the iDevices have a very low noise floor compared to some other sources you might use with the HA-1's USB input (like a noisy laptop).

The good news here, is that (I'm pretty sure) the HA-1's USB receiver is self-powered - it does not require the USB source to provide 5VDC - which the iDevices cannot do. They can only provide data, not power to a USB DAC.

I use an Uptone Audio USB Regen to improve the USB signal quality right before it goes into a different DAC. If I'm incorrect in my recollection that the HA-1's USB input is self-powered, you could consider getting a USB Regen, which can supply very clean 5VDC power to USB receivers that are not self-powered, in addition to cleaning up the USB data.

Thanks for that - i have no real interest in Tidal, and spotify etc. I'm really looking to stream up my hard drive computer music from another room through ethernet connection. I have 65,000 tracks of (curated) music with all the metadata correct etc, so it's this im trying to stream up to the HA-1 unit via homeplugs. I am an android user. Cheers.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #5,058 of 5,414
Just wondering if i have this hooked up to my receiver via rca what should i set the volume on the ha-1 too? And is there anyway to stop the ha-1 playing both to the receiver + my headphones?

Cheers
This is what I found on a previous post

"
So far, I've found two annoying things with the Oppo, both involving mute. One, I can't believe there isn't a mute button on the unit itself; basic functions should never be limited to the remote. Second, the HA-1 lets you mute the pre-amp section but I wish you could also do the opposite and only mute the headphone section for whenever you are using it strictly as a preamp. I am pretty sure I can hear the output of my open headphones even as my active monitors are playing. Sure, I could unplug my headphones constantly, but I'm not sure if that would wear down the XLR connector in any way."

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #5,060 of 5,414
I've got this piece of gear in my sights! Anybody able to compare with the Jotunheim at all? That's what I'll be upgrading from down the road

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #5,062 of 5,414
I've got this piece of gear in my sights! Anybody able to compare with the Jotunheim at all? That's what I'll be upgrading from down the road
I'd say keep the Jot and get a better DAC. I think the ha1 isn't as resolving and frankly, rather dry, each given a good source.

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #5,065 of 5,414
To each his own but Schiit products are far from looking like ****

I agree that design is highly subjective. I also agree that IMHO Schiit products look like ... well what the name implies. That's why I have never bought any of them. Or Audeze headphones. Or Grado's. Or anything that looks like a first time DYI project.

Sound comes first, but there is a limit to Schiity design.

Just my 2c.

:)

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #5,067 of 5,414
I stream to my HA-1 with my MAC Mini>AudioByte Hydra Z DDC>AES signal to>Schiit Yggy>Balanced Out to HA-1 IN>HD-800S out>All run on RoonServer installed in MAC Mini....Glorious sound!

The HA-1 on-board ESS 9018 Delta-Sigma DAC is really harsh....the Yggy smokes it by a mile!

It's funny though the looks of my Schiit Gear has NEVER affected the performance!!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #5,068 of 5,414
I stream to my HA-1 with my MAC Mini>AudioByte Hydra Z DDC>AES signal to>Schiit Yggy>Balanced Out to HA-1 IN>HD-800S out>All run on RoonServer installed in MAC Mini....Glorious sound!

The HA-1 on-board ESS 9018 Delta-Sigma DAC is really harsh....the Yggy smokes it by a mile!

It's funny though the looks of my Schiit Gear has NEVER affected the performance!!
Schiit Yggdrasil (DAC only): $2,299 --> it better smoke the HA-1's DAC by more than a mile...

Sep 7, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #5,069 of 5,414
My 77 year old ears, do not have any problems with the HD800/HA1 combo. Thank god I have lost the very top end of my Hearing.May I suggest, this combo should only be purchased by people over 60 years old?!.
The HA-1 is as perfectly neutral as human engineering can devise an DAC+Amp. The HD-800 has a sharp response peak around 6-7 kHz. The HA-1 doesn't hide this - or anything else. You get the truth, for better or for worse.

Well engineered DACs (including but not limited to the HA-1) are diabolically difficult to differentiate in level matched double blind tests.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #5,070 of 5,414
I own the HA-1 and even though I'm no where as knowledgeable as most of the guys on this site, I have to say that I'm more than happy with my DAC! Of course, that's after getting a second unit sent to me after 6 months because there was imbalance between the right and left channel, might have been a bad batch..but still...don't know where schiit products score in that regard (bad batches). In any case, love my he400i with this combo!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back