Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #4,756 of 5,414
  I still feel lost and somehow I think you didn't address fully address my concern, so I will try to rephrase relative to your reply.

Let's say I do want to give HA-1 exclusive control over the volume, HOW do I do that?
HA-1's driver only allows for 2 settings to be changed, under the Buffer Settings tab:
1. USB Streaming Mode (set to Safe)
2. ASIO Buffer Size (set to AUTO) 

No problem - let's see if we can get you sorted out!  
wink.gif

I struck out the streaming mode and buffer size - it has nothing to do with volume control.

Let's start figuring out which drivers your music player is using.  There are two types of drivers - WASAP and ASIO.
The ASIO drivers support "exclusive control".  ...so that's the one you want your media player to use.  
Double check that your media player is using this device. 

In this picture you can see that the Oppo ASIO driver is being used.  (Ignore the red circle highlighting DSD - this is an old image in my photobucket illustrating a different issue)

Dec 16, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #4,757 of 5,414
  Let's say I do want to give HA-1 exclusive control over the volume, HOW do I do that?

Korabeu - I think I owe you an apology.
I sat down with a glass of wine in my hand, LCD-3's on my head and good intentions in mind.  
It was my intention to snap a few screen shots and post a quick how-to, but I got stumped.  (let's just blame the wine)  
I tried to config my JRiver Media Center to control the volume on my Oppo HA-1 and I couldn't figure it out!  I was certain there was a way to do it with the Oppo.
I went through the "reverse" of this process last week with a Benchmark DAC that I am evaluating right now.  The initial driver installation allowed JRiver to change the volume.  I wanted to DISABLE that behavior in the application volume and only change the volume via my amplifier.

I am sorry that I could not provide the answer that I was certain I could.  When I tried it for myself, I found that I was mistaken or just momentarily dense.  If someone else has the correct answer to Korabeu's question, please share.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #4,758 of 5,414
I've been thinking about getting an HA-1 but Oppohas been out of stock for most of the last 4 weeks. Does anybody know if this is just Christmas sales or are they planning an upgrade like they did with the HA-2?

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #4,760 of 5,414
Like 'Ohmygodpancakes' mentioned (great user name, btw), the Sonica DAC is scheduled to be released in January so they may be holding off production of any new HA-1's til that's released. But who knows, there could be something new coming. But if you really want an HA-1, I wouldn't think twice about getting one of the refurbished HA-1's, they come with full Manu. warranty and are packaged and should perform like new at a discount price.

Dec 25, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #4,761 of 5,414
I'm considering getting the HA-1 and I have some questions.

I have a newly acquired Sennheiser HD800S and currently pairing them with my Oppo BDP-105D. I would be using the HD800S's included XLR cable with the HA-1.

1) Given both the HA-1 and BDP-105D have XLR and USB connectivity and (from what I understand) the same DAC, which configuration is likely to provide the best sound quality;XLR or USB? A half decent Balanced/XLR cable is not cheap and whilst I'm prepared to pay for a pair of cables if there is a better outcome, if USB will provide a better result then why bother?

2) Will the front USB input work with Android phones? (I'm aware of the 16/44/48 limitation).

3) If Android phones work, will they work at full bit rate with the rear Usb-b connector? (maybe using something like like the Onkyo HF app) as mentioned at http://www.head-fi.org/t/717834/oppo-ha-1-impressions-thread/4005#post_12077478

4) Similarly, will the rear USB input work with portable DAP players with usb connectivity like the iBasso Dx90 etc, assuming one uses a OTG to Usb-b cable?

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #4,764 of 5,414
Thank you very much.

Can anyone recommend a decent HDMI to Usb-b cable (BDP-105D > HA-1)?

I'm curious why you want to do this instead of using USB, optical, or coaxial.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #4,765 of 5,414
Well I'm thinking how else will I digitallly connect the BDP-105D to the HA-1? Both have a Usb-b port which in each case is an input only, and I need an output from the BDP-105D.

With optical or coaxial I can get hi res wav/flac (but only to 96kHz)as well as 16/44 to the HA-1 not not Dsd at all.

Therefore it seemed to me that I would need some kind of HDMI to Usb-b cable. I tried Googling for one but couldn't find anything. Maybe there is no such cable?

I came across HDMI splitters / de-embedders, but they don't extract to usb, only to coaxial/optical.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #4,766 of 5,414
Well I'm thinking how else will I digitallly connect the BDP-105D to the HA-1? Both have a Usb-b port which in each case is an input only, and I need an output from the BDP-105D.

With optical or coaxial I can get hi res wav/flac (but only to 96kHz)as well as 16/44 to the HA-1 not not Dsd at all.

Therefore it seemed to me that I would need some kind of HDMI to Usb-b cable. I tried Googling for one but couldn't find anything. Maybe there is no such cable?

I came across HDMI splitters / de-embedders, but they don't extract to usb, only to coaxial/optical.

I didn't realize you wanted to output DSD. I don't know anything about that, just that it's usually a big hassle. I wonder if you might be better off just using the analog output from the disc player to the HA-1 for DSD and USB for everything else. But this is an area I know nothing about.

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #4,767 of 5,414
No....I am still struggling with settings/drivers/FOOBAR components. I simply do not have the skillset/knowledge to get the HA-1 working 100% for everything. I have run though dozens of versions of SACD and ASIO components in Foobar.

Don't get me wrong!: The HA-1 sounds GREAT, but I believe these are the wrong drivers/settings/components. Could someone please get some crayons and draw me a step-by-step for using the HA-1 for {stable} DSD playback in FOOBAR2000?

I still cannot get audio from STEAM/Origin games with USB or TOSLINK Optical...

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #4,768 of 5,414
I hope to connect the headphone balanced output of the HA-1 to my active speakers. My active speakers only have xlr terminals. However, I am not able to find a cable in the market that can help me do this. I hope to get a good cable. Can anyone help? Thanks.

This is how I do it, using the single ended output.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/717834/oppo-ha-1-impressions-thread/2250#post_11192982

Well worth it. it is clearly superior to the standard op amp drive preamp output. I wonder how much it would cost Oppo to improve the quality of the pre out, to the level of the headphone out...

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #4,769 of 5,414
Hey everybody, Happy New Year...
I've had my HA-1 since launch without so much as a hiccup.  I have been using it occasionally as a pre amp with other amps or dacs and it has not faltered in any duty I assign it.  Just got a new pair of HD-800's and after getting a balanced cable for it have been trying the new babies out on my amps.  This is what I have found in my tinkering and switching this and that component.   The HA-1/Multi-bit Bifrost combo is really special with the 800's.   I was looking in the HA-1 manual in the power ratings section for the amp and couldn't find a 300 ohm rating, just 600 ohm.   Does anyone here know what the 300 ohm rating is for the HA-1?  Just curious is all. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #4,770 of 5,414
Hey Raptor,

I have the 800S and also the HA-1 that's run from my Mac mini ....made my own balanced 20 ft cable.  Still was getting constant sonic improvements well into 200+ hours.  Love the combo.!!

Did you hear a difference between the Oppo DAC and Mimby?   I'd love to hear their Yggy against the Oppo DAC to hear what differences their would be...My combo is dead silent when it's supposed to be and I have no complaints....just heard lots of good stuff about Shiit gear.

If I find that 300 Ohm spec I'll post it !   I rarely run my HA-1 (love the remote and being to see the volume level from way across the room) much past the 2:00 mark...their Class A amp has plenty of grunt with headroom left over...  

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back