Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #4,591 of 5,414
I've had an HA-1 for over a year and use it to drive both my headphones and power amp to speakers. By default, the mute button mutes all outputs. You can configure it to mute only the line out, not the headphones. I don't know any way to make the HA-1 switch between headphones only, and line outs only.
I simply unplug my headphones when listening to the speakers.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #4,592 of 5,414
Is there a way using just:

digital source (e.g. usb from computer) -> oppo ha-1 -> headphone out to headphones AND pre-out to powered monitors

to switch back and forth between speakers only and headphones only, without having to disconnect/reconnect my headphones all the time?

As you mentioned, you can set the mute button to mute only pre-outs, but I haven't found a way to play speakers while muting headphones. I just unplug my headphones. You can even just leave them plugged in and have them play, unless you're concerned about wearing out the drivers. The amp isn't getting any extra wear and tear from doing that since it's always active whether or not you have any headphones plugged in.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #4,593 of 5,414
I've had an HA-1 for about a year now, but used it only for headphones so far. I am starting to think about hooking it up to some powered monitors (but haven't bought them yet). I'd really like to be able to toggle only one or the other on, without having to disconnect anything.

I am having the same problem with my Oppo 105D also. It's connected to an AVR via analog and I cannot get sound on the AVR unless I unplug the headphone from Oppo's headphone jack. I hear plugging/unplugging the headphone too frequently is bad so I don't like doing that.

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #4,594 of 5,414
I just bought some white LSR305 on Musiciansfriend's daily deal for $99 each.  Haven't received them yet but can't wait to pair them up with the HA-1.  I have some Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 on it now which I bought back in 2001 lol.  Actually kinda content with them for desktop use but I've been itching for something new.  But yeah, only thing you can do is mute the preouts while your headphone is always running if plugged in.  It works though.  You don't have to disconnect anything.

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #4,595 of 5,414
Sep 8, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #4,597 of 5,414
I never unplug my headphones even when I am listening to line out.  Doesn't seem to hurt the cans by leaving them plugged-in.

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #4,598 of 5,414
Regarding wear and tear, if you keep activating a switch to mute an output, you wear out that switch. If you keep your headphone plugged in all the time, you wear out the drivers. If I had to wear something out, I would choose to wear out my cable plug, since that's the cheapest and easiest thing to replace. Also, I use my headphone with lots of different sources.

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #4,599 of 5,414
Regarding wear and tear, if you keep activating a switch to mute an output, you wear out that switch. If you keep your headphone plugged in all the time, you wear out the drivers. If I had to wear something out, I would choose to wear out my cable plug, since that's the cheapest and easiest thing to replace. Also, I use my headphone with lots of different sources.

Can you wear out a headphone jack?

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #4,600 of 5,414
I've never worn out a headphone jack per se, but I've had 1/4" jacks on guitar amps start getting loose and flaky. But guitar amp jacks get way more use and abuse than home headphone amp jacks, and also I bet those jacks were more cheaply made originally than the one on the HA-1. If you're worried about it, you could plug an adapter or short extension cable into the HA-1 so you can wear that out instead. But I think products are meant to be used, and plugging and unplugging headphones every time you want to use them is well within normal usage.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #4,603 of 5,414
Sure, it is possible to disconnect the power amp, by using the mute feature. That all sounds great, until you realize that the output is physically disconnected. My power amp is left humming through the speakers, as there is serious grounding and shielding issues with the Oppo HA-1, when muting the power amp for the non-balanced output.

My solution is to use the power switch on the power amp. Also, the speakers get an insane amount of power from some cheap second hand Rotel amp. They simply play so loud at any given volume setting, effectively muting the headphones. There is at least 40db a difference between the speakers and the headphones, which really is a lesser issue, with the crappy acoustics of the room this gear is used in.

The HA-1 is designed to be primarily be a headphone DAC and amp. That is the reasoning behind the design choice. As for a unbalanced power amp, the muting feature clearly is plagued by a design flaw. It should have been shorted with a resistor, not just disconnected, when muted. It is a headache machine. Users with the humming barely noticeable, might feel some real discomfort, but might struggle to realize what is driving them nuts.

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #4,604 of 5,414
I haven't noticed any humming in my situation. I turn off my amp anyway when not playing through them to save energy, but during the times when the output is muted and the amps are on, I've noticed no hum. However, I reduced the gain on my amp so I could turn the volume up to 12 o clock at my usual listening level. My speakers also have very low sensitivity. You must have a high gain/high sensitivity situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back