Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
May 2, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #4,396 of 5,414
All transformers will buzz to some extend. What you are hearing is the 60Hz cycle mechanical noise from the transformer by the AC line. Since the HA-1 uses a fair amount of current the transformer will buzz a tiny bit. It also depends on the transformer design. IF you can not hear it from your listening position then it is not an issue. There always some other types of noise elsewhere even in a quiet room.      

May 2, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #4,397 of 5,414
I never checked before I removed it John. It's in tight and it's well potted. Just 2 thin rubber sheets top and bottom. Was thinking sorbothane sheet and some Silicone.....

Was trying to gauge the thoughts of the other owners on noise vibration.
Did I put it back correctly...

Cheers John have a good one

Dave

May 2, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #4,398 of 5,414
There is two transformers in the HA-1 the main Toridal and a smaller standard standby transformer that is always connected to the AC line for the power up. One thing that can help is to check and see if there some kind of a rubber washer for the screws that attach the transformer to the chassis.  Never took mine apart. Currently using Audio-GD equipment.  

May 3, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #4,399 of 5,414
Yes there is nothing but a thin piece of plastic under the standby transformer.
The audio- GD looks like a well made piece of Polish lovely Ness. ..Nice..

I don't know if better anti vibration does much but I will try.. small steps I suppose...

Cheers John
Much appreciated

Dave

May 8, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #4,400 of 5,414
I have had my HA-1 a few weeks and love it so far.  Can someone please tell me if these setting make any difference in the sound?

May 8, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #4,402 of 5,414
I would think you would set it for the most common mode, or your stuff will be up sampled by your software. That said, try it a 16/44.1 and try it at 24/192 and see if you can hear a difference.

May 8, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #4,403 of 5,414
  I would think you would set it for the most common mode, or your stuff will be up sampled by your software. That said, try it a 16/44.1 and try it at 24/192 and see if you can hear a difference.

Thank you both. I just tried the two and there is a difference, albeit small, between the two.  So, I left it at 24/192.

May 8, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #4,404 of 5,414
Thank you both. I just tried the two and there is a difference, albeit small, between the two.  So, I left it at 24/192.

For best results, I believe you wouldn't normally be using shared mode when listening to music anyway, so this wouldn't really matter, unless you wanted to run audio from video games or your browser through your HA-1. If you use a music player capable of high quality audio, like Foobar2000 or JRiver, you would get the best results by using ASIO exclusive mode rather than shared. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

May 9, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #4,405 of 5,414
Just sharing a bit of an odd issue I've had with my Oppo HA-1, and the simple solution that caught me off guard. I was running my HA-1 off my computer (i7 4770K, ASRock Z87 Extreme6, 16GB RAM, 64bit Win10 Pro) using one of two USB 2.0 ports at back of mobo (I'd left the other USB 2.0 port unoccupied) via a Straight Wire USB-Link 'audiophile' cable that I'd gotten for cheap. Recently, my Oppo had been acting up, when I power it on, the sound was like max even though volume knob was at zero, and it'd play sound in mono as well. Only after unplugging it, powering it on and turning it off a few times would my HA-1 behave itself again. Got to the point that this happened every time I switch on the unit.

Gave up and called the local Oppo service center. The very friendly and most helpful tech guy arranged to come over personally to my place to see what ailed my HA-1. During our conversation, he did ask me what USB cable I was using, I told him it was an 'audiophile' grade Straight Wire USB-Link cable. He then suggested I try a cheap generic USB cable instead. I looked high and low and managed to find a 1m length USB Type A to Type B that I'd stored in one of my drawers. I can't for the life of me recall why or when I'd gotten it, or perhaps it came free with something I'd gotten. Anyway, I replaced the Straight Wire cable with it and powered on my HA-1. It worked flawlessly, tried powering on and off a few times and the HA-1 behaved as it should. Surprised the hell outta me that it was such a simple solution to a problem that was driving me nuts.

No more high volume and mono! I called the Oppo tech guy (the local tech guy is Sean, many thanks if you're reading this) and asked him why he'd suggested the swap to cheap cables, he told me that from his experience, cheap generic cables are best and most compatible USB cable for audio gear. He'd said that those expensive USB cable are the worst to use since they have 'extras' that aren't needed for clean digital transmission. All I can say is, I'll be going out to buy cheap generic USB Type A to Type B cables of various lengths for my other gears...

May 9, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #4,406 of 5,414
Just sharing a bit of an odd issue I've had with my Oppo HA-1, and the simple solution that caught me off guard. I was running my HA-1 off my computer (i7 4770K, ASRock Z87 Extreme6, 16GB RAM, 64bit Win10 Pro) using one of two USB 2.0 ports at back of mobo (I'd left the other USB 2.0 port unoccupied) via a Straight Wire USB-Link 'audiophile' cable that I'd gotten for cheap. Recently, my Oppo had been acting up, when I power it on, the sound was like max even though volume knob was at zero, and it'd play sound in mono as well. Only after unplugging it, powering it on and turning it off a few times would my HA-1 behave itself again. Got to the point that this happened every time I switch on the unit.

Gave up and called the local Oppo service center. The very friendly and most helpful tech guy arranged to come over personally to my place to see what ailed my HA-1. During our conversation, he did ask me what USB cable I was using, I told him it was an 'audiophile' grade Straight Wire USB-Link cable. He then suggested I try a cheap generic USB cable instead. I looked high and low and managed to find a 1m length USB Type A to Type B that I'd stored in one of my drawers. I can't for the life of me recall why or when I'd gotten it, or perhaps it came free with something I'd gotten. Anyway, I replaced the Straight Wire cable with it and powered on my HA-1. It worked flawlessly, tried powering on and off a few times and the HA-1 behaved as it should. Surprised the hell outta me that it was such a simple solution to a problem that was driving me nuts.

No more high volume and mono! I called the Oppo tech guy (the local tech guy is Sean, many thanks if you're reading this) and asked him why he'd suggested the swap to cheap cables, he told me that from his experience, cheap generic cables are best and most compatible USB cable for audio gear. He'd said that those expensive USB cable are the worst to use since they have 'extras' that aren't needed for clean digital transmission. All I can say is, I'll be going out to buy cheap generic USB Type A to Type B cables of various lengths for my other gears...

Straight Wire May have a warranty, so you might want to get the cable replaced. Also, any chance the oppo guy fiddled with the volume knob? Oppo has recommended to me to turn the unit off then rotate the volume knob left to right fully for 20 rotations. A lot of the electronics in the oppo are tied to the volume and sometimes it just gets dirty.

I think the Straight Wire cable is just a standard USB cable made with some higher quality wire and shielding.

May 10, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #4,407 of 5,414
Seems it has nothing to do with the USB cables as my Oppo HA-1 is acting up again with the usual mono high volume output even when volume knob is set at '0'. The tech guy, Sean, has volunteered to drop by my place on Thursday to see exactly what is going on with my HA-1. Tried the Straight Wire USB-Link on my Gustard X12 + H10 setup (removed the HA-1 and replaced it with the Gustard stack), after setting up Foobar2k, it plays flawlessly. Only snag was, the Gustard X12 outputs analog w/o any control over volume. Fortunately, I have a set of Emotiva Control Freak (Balanced version) so I hooked it up to my Rokit5 G3 in Balanced mode. Not an elegant solution since I can only use my H10 with the X12 via unbalanced RCA cable connections but hey, everything works flawlessly so I can't complain. I'll shift my HA-1 to my 4th rig....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back