Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #4,201 of 5,414
You're mistaking me. I don't like the treble quality on the ha1dac, period. I think any number of less expensive dacs are better at rendering treble in a more realistic fashion including the Bifrost and Yulong d100 mk 2. Ymmv. I love it as an amp, never was never will be satisfied with the dac. Different strokes!

Like you, an ex-drummer/percussionist and very critical to the highs. I once owned a Bifrost but found it grainy in the highs. Many factors getting the HA-1 to sound better in the highs:

1. S/PDIF sounds better than USB unless you are using a dedicated PC/Streamer and linear power supply.
2. OS Matters. Either Linux or tweaked Windows. Stripped down, minimal services.
3. J-River properly setup. No upsampling or oversampling.
4. Proper ASIO settings.
5. Better digital and analog cables. No silver plated copper wire!
6. If running to speakers use the headphone TRS jack which is discrete Class-A output. No Op Amps!
7. Convert WAV, FLAC, SHN files to AIFF for a smoother top end.

FWIW...

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #4,202 of 5,414
From reading about contact cleaners on you tube. The spray stuff has to be squirted into the pot., warranty aside it's a pain to get into an OPPO.
The YouTube video I saw was a guitar volume pot so easy to do.

Join DIYAUDIO and search CORIS OPP HA1.
He's a modder and mentions how to get in. You have to join or you can't see the pictures for some reason...

20× probably shifts dirt and rubs off Oxidation. Will use that trick so thank you...

Good luck and keep smiling

Dave

Oppo is using a 6-section sealed pot. No way to use a cleaner and improper to clean it. See this link for an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPS-6-gang-motorized-Potentiometer-RK16816MG-10K-Pot-Volume-Audio-rotary-Japan-/261901754380

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #4,203 of 5,414

After using the HA1 for about a year as a dac/amp, I've upgraded to a schiit Gungnir Multibit as my dac of choice. I was never satisfied with the treble response on the oppo.

Yet another let down. This was going to be my next upgrade for DAC/Amp. This and an HD800 or something similar.

Unless you knew mithrandir38 well and have exactly the same taste, don't take one review as gospel. in the $1000/unit prige range, you will always find some that like it, and some that don't (doesn't matter what "it" is). Only way to know for sure is to either try it yourself, or be sure the person (people) you are listening to have the same taste you do.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #4,204 of 5,414
Like you, an ex-drummer/percussionist and very critical to the highs. I once owned a Bifrost but found it grainy in the highs. Many factors getting the HA-1 to sound better in the highs:

1. S/PDIF sounds better than USB unless you are using a dedicated PC/Streamer and linear power supply.
2. OS Matters. Either Linux or tweaked Windows. Stripped down, minimal services.
3. J-River properly setup. No upsampling or oversampling.
4. Proper ASIO settings.
5. Better digital and analog cables. No silver plated copper wire!
6. If running to speakers use the headphone TRS jack which is discrete Class-A output. No Op Amps!
7. Convert WAV, FLAC, SHN files to AIFF for a smoother top end.

FWIW...
For the record, the preamp output is also Class A, but not discreet. and it's fine if you want to tweak your sound using cables and whatnot, but it's still going to retain its essential ESS sabre sound. The app is very transparent and shows very obvious differences between the Gungnir and the built in DAC. I think some people feel the need to defend the Oppo, But I'm not bashing it. It's a good all-around unit but you can take the amplifier to the next level with a better DAC in line. I understand if that's not financially viable for every listener. The treble performance is simply lack luster in my opinion. No amount of file conversion or boutique digital cables will change the inherent sound as dramatically as different components.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #4,205 of 5,414

Anyway to turn off the volume display? It flickers so much I never get to see the cool VU meters. No amount of volume adjustment stops it from flickering. I have no use for the volume display as I can tell what the volume is by listening and looking at the line on the volume knob.  

Update: Oppo support suggested I turn the unit off and rotate the volume knob min to max 20 times. This resolved most of my issues, so I did it again, and all my issues seem to be resolved! odd, but I will accept it and move on.

I wonder, anyone use DeOxit on the Oppose HA-1 knobs?

I have gone through (3) Ha-1s due to the remote volume control issue. I figured it was the Alps motor drive pot. I tried your suggestion of "20 times" and it cleared it up for now. Thanks much!

Good to hear it worked for you. My HA-1 went ka-put, so I sent it to Oppo for repair. Nothing worked when on high gain and the volume display would just not stop. I really hop they can fix it, and I really hope they add a feature to turnt he volume display off completely. Does any use or care about a digital volume display that is not even accurate? I mean the VU meters and EQ bouncing are cool visualizations, but I can tell how loud the amp is by the position of the volume control. 

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #4,206 of 5,414
I mean the VU meters and EQ bouncing are cool visualizations, but I can tell how loud the amp is by the position of the volume control. 

Yes, but that is one of the super cool things that drew me to this amp. If not, I'd be looking at some Woo Audio stuff. I was thinking this or a Firefly.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #4,207 of 5,414
I mean the VU meters and EQ bouncing are cool visualizations, but I can tell how loud the amp is by the position of the volume control. 

Yes, but that is one of the super cool things that drew me to this amp. If not, I'd be looking at some Woo Audio stuff. I was thinking this or a Firefly.

The digital volume display drew you to the HA-1?

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #4,208 of 5,414
Good to hear it worked for you. My HA-1 went ka-put, so I sent it to Oppo for repair. Nothing worked when on high gain and the volume display would just not stop. I really hop they can fix it, and I really hope they add a feature to turnt he volume display off completely. Does any use or care about a digital volume display that is not even accurate? I mean the VU meters and EQ bouncing are cool visualizations, but I can tell how loud the amp is by the position of the volume control. 
yep. The digital volume display is next to useless

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #4,210 of 5,414
The digital volume display drew you to the HA-1?

lol, no. The Spectrum Analyzer display. I've only really seen it on this unit and some lower end Chinese DACs. I don't know why it mesmerizes me, it just does.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #4,211 of 5,414

lol, no. The Spectrum Analyzer display. I've only really seen it on this unit and some lower end Chinese DACs. I don't know why it mesmerizes me, it just does.

Practically speaking, that spectrum analyzer display for me is totally useless but I still enjoy watching it.  Sort of like an electronic Lava Lamp. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #4,212 of 5,414
  Practically speaking, that spectrum analyzer display for me is totally useless but I still enjoy watching it.  Sort of like an electronic Lava Lamp. 
biggrin.gif

Exactly!
biggrin.gif
  ..and if I can have it, along with a great sound DAC/Amp; why not?

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #4,213 of 5,414
I completely agree. the spectrum analyzer and VU meters are music visualizations mostly (like 99.9%) for entertainment. The volume display is an attempt to add something useful, but it just impinges upon the entertainment value of the other two displays, and actually detracts from my enjoyment of the whole HA-1. Hopefully oppo will be able to fix my unit.

Hopefully they will add a settings to just turn off the volume display altogether. Anyone from Oppo reading this and can bring the request for a setting to engineering? 

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #4,214 of 5,414
I completely agree. the spectrum analyzer and VU meters are music visualizations mostly (like 99.9%) for entertainment. The volume display is an attempt to add something useful, but it just impinges upon the entertainment value of the other two displays, and actually detracts from my enjoyment of the whole HA-1. Hopefully oppo will be able to fix my unit.

Hopefully they will add a settings to just turn off the volume display altogether. Anyone from Oppo reading this and can bring the request for a setting to engineering? 
The input meters and the info screen are the only actually useful displays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back