Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #3,871 of 5,414
  How do you guys have your system set up in WIndows?

Do you set Windows volume all the way up and then control the system volume thru the OPPO-HA-1 remote control?

And the speakers? Do you turn the speaker volume (knob) all the way up?

Volume in windows should be at max. The volume in your music player app, should be at max, unless max means extra amplification, as in VCL.

The whole point is to do absolutely nothing to the signal in windows. That means using the ASIO driver. You will need to use a ASIO supporting app for that. Spotify do not support ASIO, while Tidal does. Windows alters the output in the non-ASIO output, and that is clearly audible.

As for output, use the scaler in the DAC, not in windows. Since I use Tidal, that is 44.1/16. For movies, it is typically 48/24. I set this manually, depending on my need.

I have not tested JRiver, but that is probably an excellent choice for media player. Not quite sure what other options support ASIO. JRiver seems to be standard for a lot of users in these forums. Using it, things might change a bit. I just do not know.

As for driver settings, every thing at max, especially ASIO buffer settings. You also need to disable power savings, typically by choosing high performance power mode, or by manually adjusting the balanced power mode, as to increase the minimum CPU percentage. My laptop runs at 800MHz, with even extra low settings beyond that, with power savings enabled. At those settings, music get blips every once in a while.

I got best results, disabling enhancements, and allowing exclusive mode and to take control of the device. Also, I do not use any form of equalizer, or fancy alteration of the output. I guess that make me a puritist.

Beyond that, a good USB cable works wonders. Please do not ask me why. I do not know. I got shocked by the result, still struggling to wrap my mind around it.

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #3,873 of 5,414
For the Oppo HA-1.......

ClassA amp.
Analogue amp topology.
Balanced topology throughout.
Balanced headphone output (3W per channel output).
Remote control.
Cool display.
Apple compatibility galore.
Bluetooth connectivity.
Analogue volume pot.
Auto volume reduction on high gain selection.
Price.

For the Grace Design m920.......

X-feed feature.

From what I read, the Grace also has a better volume control. Both are analog, but the HA-1 has a potentiometer, while the Grace has a chip that controls it more precisely with perfect channel balance at all settings. The ultimate would be a stepped attenuator, which neither has. Wanting one is a sensible choice, since even a high quality potentiometer can introduce enough noise and inconsistency to undermine a higher quality class A gain stage. Normally, I'd say a stepped attenuator is not expected at this price point, but Meier's amps have them at even lower price points.

I'm also on the fence: Grace vs. Oppo. Haven't decided yet. I'm also using it as a preamp, so the quality of the line stage is important to me.

Incidentally, I have a Meier headphone amp that has the same xfeed circuit as the Grace. It is the best cross feed I've listened to - and I've listened to several over the years. It's subtle, not a "must-have" until you run into one of those rare recordings that have absolute channel separation (like some Mapleshades).

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #3,874 of 5,414
  Thank you for this extensive info. Going to set it up like you suggest.

Although I use it not only for headphones, but for speakers also (Adam A5X on my desktop PC).

Just be aware, that if you mute the amp output, it is not shorted. I get buzzing from my power amp/speakers, if i use the preamp mute function.

Only workaround for me, is to turn off the power amp, when listening to headphones.

Also, if you set it to home theater mode, the output sound level is fixed. You just use the volume adjustment on your speaker then.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #3,875 of 5,414
Can't believe I need to turn volume up at normal gain to about 90-95 with Oppo PM3s.. High gain Im about 40-50. I just think the HA1 sounds better in low gain..using balanced cable! It sure sounds good though, either way.:)

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #3,876 of 5,414
Can't believe I need to turn volume up at normal gain to about 90-95 with Oppo PM3s.. High gain Im about 40-50. I just think the HA1 sounds better in low gain..using balanced cable! It sure sounds good though, either way.:)

Are you being serious? PM-3 is 26 Ohm with 102db sensitivity in 1mW. Listening to it at 90-95 percent of total volume, even on normal gain, would be deafeningly loud with the balanced out. My LCD-XC (balanced) is less efficient than the PM-3 but I can't listen louder than about half volume from the HA-1 on normal gain without it hurting my ears.

I suggest you take a trip to your nearest audiologist.

Edit: For normal listening I have the volume set to 1/4 volume (9:00 o'clock) or less with the XC.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #3,877 of 5,414
Can't believe I need to turn volume up at normal gain to about 90-95 with Oppo PM3s.. High gain Im about 40-50. I just think the HA1 sounds better in low gain..using balanced cable! It sure sounds good though, either way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Are you being serious? PM-3 is 26 Ohm with 102db sensitivity in 1mW. Listening to it at 90-95 percent of total volume, even on normal gain, would be deafeningly loud with the balanced out. My LCD-XC (balanced) is less efficient than the PM-3 but I can't listen louder than about half volume from the HA-1 on normal gain without it hurting my ears.

I suggest you take a trip to your nearest audiologist.

Edit: For normal listening I have the volume set to 1/4 volume (9:00 o'clock) or less with the XC.

Sounds like you may have some problem with his HA-1. Or, you don't have the digital volume in the computer set to 100% (which you should).

Those volume levels do not sound normal. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #3,878 of 5,414
  From what I read, the Grace also has a better volume control. Both are analog, but the HA-1 has a potentiometer, while the Grace has a chip that controls it more precisely with perfect channel balance at all settings. The ultimate would be a stepped attenuator, which neither has. Wanting one is a sensible choice, since even a high quality potentiometer can introduce enough noise and inconsistency to undermine a higher quality class A gain stage. Normally, I'd say a stepped attenuator is not expected at this price point, but Meier's amps have them at even lower price points.

I'm also on the fence: Grace vs. Oppo. Haven't decided yet. I'm also using it as a preamp, so the quality of the line stage is important to me.

Incidentally, I have a Meier headphone amp that has the same xfeed circuit as the Grace. It is the best cross feed I've listened to - and I've listened to several over the years. It's subtle, not a "must-have" until you run into one of those rare recordings that have absolute channel separation (like some Mapleshades).

I've had both side by side.  Not even close.  The Oppo is gone.  I don't use my Burson Conductor anymore.  All I need is the Grace.

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #3,879 of 5,414
  What's running out of juice is the amps output to the headphones.  Not the power from the wall. 

The 6.3 mm connection on the HA-1 doesn't output as much power @ 300 Ohms* as the balanced XLR connection.  *The Senn HD650 has a nominal impedance of 300Ohms.

Does that make sense? 

BTW, i'd like to get back to this discussion because it won't let me put my mind to rest:

1. If Senn HD650 has a nominal impedance of 300Ohms, why didn't they make them with XLR connector in the first place, seeing that they wouldn't be getting enough juice with a regular 6.35mm jack?

2. Or is it OPPO's fault for making a sub-par product that doesn't output enough juice out of regular headphones socket? It's marketed as a headphones amp for fcks sake.

Why do I have to jump through hoops to make simple sh!t work? It's not like any of these components cost $20, it's supposed to be a god damn Hi-End grade equipment.

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #3,880 of 5,414
  BTW, i'd like to get back to this discussion because it won't let me put my mind to rest:

1. If Senn HD650 has a nominal impedance of 300Ohms, why didn't they make them with XLR connector in the first place, seeing that they wouldn't be getting enough juice with a regular 6.35mm jack?

Low output at a given volume setting is not about the 300 Ohm impedance, it's the voltage sensitivity. Just because the impedance is high doesn't necessarily mean the voltage sensitivity will be low.

Despite its high impedance, the HD650 is pretty easy to drive. It just has slightly lower than average voltage sensitivity. But due to its high impedance, it doesn't draw much current so it doesn't need much power. It's reasonably efficient, just needs voltage. The 650 is a bit more sensitive and efficient than the 600. So any amp that can drive the 600 should drive the 650 just fine.

I owned a pair of 600s for over 10 years and never had a problem driving them. Portables didn't work well (thin sound and low volume) but every full size device I plugged them into drove 'em just fine to volumes far louder than I would normally listen. But then I do watch my listening levels to avoid long term hearing loss. Also most of my listening is to acoustic music. The frequency response of the ear changes with loudness, so acoustic instruments don't sound natural when played louder than they would be in an unamplified live performance. Electronic music has no such absolute reference, generally sounds better the louder it's played, so one must be careful.

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #3,881 of 5,414

2. Or is it OPPO's fault for making a sub-par product that doesn't output enough juice out of regular headphones socket? It's marketed as a headphones amp for fcks sake.

Why do I have to jump through hoops to make simple sh!t work? It's not like any of these components cost $20, it's supposed to be a god damn Hi-End grade equipment.

MRC001 answered your first question.

On your second question.  I wouldn't call the HA-1 a sub-par product. It's actually a very good product.  Oppo had to make a design decision so they could drive most headphones on the market.  You can purchase a XLR cable for the HD650 for pretty inexpensive.         

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #3,883 of 5,414
  MRC001 answered your first question.

On your second question.  I wouldn't call the HA-1 a sub-par product. It's actually a very good product.  Oppo had to make a design decision so they could drive most headphones on the market.  You can purchase a XLR cable for the HD650 for pretty inexpensive.         

I'm just trying to figure out who fault is that. OPPOs?

I used to have some cheap Samson amp (link) that would drive the same headphones without any problems.

And about the cables. I got linked some in this thread for $76, which is not that inexpensive.

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #3,884 of 5,414
  ... I'm just trying to figure out who fault is that. OPPOs?...

It's an imperfect world.

Senny needs to adhere to the industry standard of 6.5mm jack. If they want to sell any products. If they need high impedance to achieve the quality to stay competitive in the market, that is what they have to do.

Oppo, actually give you enough juice. Just barely. So why would you blame them? It is not like they did not rate the amp either. Try using the Panasonic, then come back. They are aware of the issue, but chose, just like pointed out, to solve the issue by balanced output. That was a great design choice, as support for balanced output, gave them a competitive edge in the market, as that is superior to the competition. In balanced mode, there is plenty of juice, something there would not be at Class A, for single sided output, at this prize point.

And, at the risk of getting into personal attacks, you actually play a role as well. Would you buy a headphone, if you had to buy an extra cable to get a 6.5mm jack? Most users would not. Senny would have to explain to users the advantages of balanced output, and users would complain of the non existing support for balanced headphones in the market. A bunch of amp makers would then claim that their single end amps, are far superior to balanced designs. Well, they do that as it is, anyhow.

In the end, everyone can blame anyone. Just start pointing. Its an imperfect world, as if you just twist your needs, something will always be wrong. Even pointing and blaming.

Oppo HA-1 is meant to be run balanced. Balanced is the main feature of the unit, and class A at that. At low costs. It designed to be killer value. And it support single ended on top of that, at reduced specs. A pity if people buy into the Oppo, not realizing that. If you read through this very thread, you will quickly realize, that people need a lot of explanation about balanced output, and that people spend a lot of time trying to comprehend it. Its not as easy to explain as if-you-shoot-yourself-in-the-foot-it-will-hurt concepts. That fact generate a lot of problems in it self, as complexity always does. Solutions may be surprisingly simple though.

Try getting a new balanced cable, or get the one you have re-terminated to balanced (just check that the cable support it first, it needs four wires, not three). If you know somebody who can solder, re-terminating is actually pretty cheap: Get a balanced to 6.5 adapter on top of that, if you still need that jack. If you got the Oppo, going balanced is a smart investment.

I would love to hear if the sound grew on you, going balanced, because in my experience, that is how the Oppo behaves. That would be perfect.

Peace,

Frode

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #3,885 of 5,414

It's an imperfect world.

Senny needs to adhere to the industry standard of 6.5mm jack. If they want to sell any products. If they need high impedance to achieve the quality to stay competitive in the market, that is what they have to do.

Oppo, actually give you enough juice. Just barely. So why would you blame them? It is not like they did not rate the amp either. Try using the Panasonic, then come back. They are aware of the issue, but chose, just like pointed out, to solve the issue by balanced output. That was a great design choice, as support for balanced output, gave them a competitive edge in the market, as that is superior to the competition. In balanced mode, there is plenty of juice, something there would not be at Class A, for single sided output, at this prize point.

And, at the risk of getting into personal attacks, you actually play a role as well. Would you buy a headphone, if you had to buy an extra cable to get a 6.5mm jack? Most users would not. Senny would have to explain to users the advantages of balanced output, and users would complain of the non existing support for balanced headphones in the market. A bunch of amp makers would then claim that their single end amps, are far superior to balanced designs. Well, they do that as it is, anyhow.

In the end, everyone can blame anyone. Just start pointing. Its an imperfect world, as if you just twist your needs, something will always be wrong. Even pointing and blaming.

Oppo HA-1 is meant to be run balanced. Balanced is the main feature of the unit, and class A at that. At low costs. It designed to be killer value. And it support single ended on top of that, at reduced specs. A pity if people buy into the Oppo, not realizing that. If you read through this very thread, you will quickly realize, that people need a lot of explanation about balanced output, and that people spend a lot of time trying to comprehend it. Its not as easy to explain as if-you-shoot-yourself-in-the-foot-it-will-hurt concepts. That fact generate a lot of problems in it self, as complexity always does. Solutions may be surprisingly simple though.

Try getting a new balanced cable, or get the one you have re-terminated to balanced (just check that the cable support it first, it needs four wires, not three). If you know somebody who can solder, re-terminating is actually pretty cheap: Get a balanced to 6.5 adapter on top of that, if you still need that jack. If you got the Oppo, going balanced is a smart investment.

I would love to hear if the sound grew on you, going balanced, because in my experience, that is how the Oppo behaves. That would be perfect.

Peace,

Frode

Hey, thanks for taking the time to write up your extensive take on this.

I did order today the balanced cable upgrade for my headphones. Gonna see soon if it makes any difference. Hopefully it's what you guys say (juice/xlr thing) and not some lame-ass windows/software config glitch on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back