Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #3,856 of 5,414
Some help required :I am currently using HD 800 along with OPPO HA 1 , but want to upgrade my headphones to LCD 3 , please guide me if Oppo HA 1 will be suitable for LCD 3 headphone. I generally listen to western pop , mainly instrumentals, some time western classical and also Indian Bollywood songs. I also own Fiio X5 second generation to play flac and DSD files .

The lcd3 pairs quite nicely with the ha-1.

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #3,858 of 5,414
I just joined the forum. I got the HA-1 second hand in July, and used this thread as a source getting it.

My setup differ a bit.
  1. I use Audioquest Coffee USB cable
  2. I use a high end PC, 4960x@4.5GHz without any power savings. 64GB RAM. SSDs. 1200W PSU. 1920 radiator. etc.
  3. I stream, using Tidal Hi-Fi. So I do not use JRiver. Sound is similar to ripped music.
  4. "USB Streaming Mode" at "Extra Safe"
  5. "Asio Buffer Size" at "8192 Samples"
  6. Apps are allowed to take control over the device
  7. Apps in exclusive mode are given priority
  8. Enhancements are all disabled
  9. I use a dedicated USB controller for the HA-1
  10. All other sound drivers are uninstalled, and playback devices removed or disabled.

My experience is quite different because of this. A lot different.

Here's the thing
  1. It is dark.
  2. It is too musical, at least with my Denons.
  3. Its biggest strength is harmony. Instruments play in harmony, not just their different parts.
  4. It is particularly good at reproducing treble. Percussion is outstanding, as compared to anything I have heard of late.
  5. Perspective is sharp and tight. Instruments are tightly placed, in a way I never before have heard anywhere.
  6. Details. I sort of struggle with that one. I previously contributed noise as details. My Denons simply do not ex cell at details at this level, so I guess I need something like the HD800 now.
  7. Separation. This is really different. I am not on top of this yet. Focusing in on one instrument just feels unnatural, I need to make an effort to do so. Joining the music, is what is feels like, not ripping it apart. Probably sounds silly, but to me, harmonies and musicality is so strong, I find it hard not to get caught up in it.

So, here I am finding my setup being musical in a way I have never experienced before. I struggle using it as an analytical tool. I just sing along, stamp the the beat, clap along, or tap with my fingers. There is no harshness, it is full of body and a bit dark. It is forgiving on the source recording, as everything sound great. Even what sounds crappy on almost anything else.

I do get the way it is being described by others, if I do not make the adjustments above. Or use something i-apple as a source. In my experience, it is super picky on the source. Treble in particular. Not what people expect, and claiming so, I am probably of for the guillotine.

I cannot explain why, but this is my experience. I rather listen to my own senses, than let people dictate me what to sense. Making sense of it all, is bloody confusing though.

Frode

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #3,859 of 5,414
Guys, any idea why my Sennheiser HD650 get very low sound with Oppo HA-1 ?

I basically have to turn Oppo volume knob all the way up and windows volume control all the way up too.

I tried some no-name earbuds and they get much louder signal.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #3,861 of 5,414
  Guys, any idea why my Sennheiser HD650 get very low sound with Oppo HA-1 ?

I basically have to turn Oppo volume knob all the way up and windows volume control all the way up too.

I tried some no-name earbuds and they get much louder signal.

Hi StormClaw.  Try setting the gain to high and see if that is any better.

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #3,864 of 5,414
Quick test: The same happens over bluetooth?

Is your cable balanced? If not, you might be running out of juice. My easy driven Denons are often at max, but that is at low gain.

Balanced cable?  On the headphones you mean?

No, it's standard cable that came with Sennheiser phones.

Anyway, when i max everything out i get enough volume. It's just that some cheap-ass earbuds sound much louder at lower volume settings.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #3,865 of 5,414
As fordeni mentioned, it sounds like you are running out of juice.  I would try the balanced connection. You can purchase an 6.3 mm to 4 pin male XLR adaptor or upgrade your cable to a balanced cable.  http://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Version-balance-ZY-002-2-5M/dp/B00A2QJLY8

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #3,866 of 5,414
  As fordeni mentioned, it sounds like you are running out of juice.  I would try the balanced connection. You can purchase an 6.3 mm to 4 pin male XLR adaptor or upgrade your cable to a balanced cable.  http://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Version-balance-ZY-002-2-5M/dp/B00A2QJLY8

Could you clarify what exactly is running out of juice?
The OPPO HA-1 is plugged into a wall socket.
And i though that this was supposed to be a AMP for the headphones?  How can it be running out of juicy? Why? Where is all the juice going that it's not enough of it?

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #3,867 of 5,414
What's running out of juice is the amps output to the headphones.  Not the power from the wall. 

The 6.3 mm connection on the HA-1 doesn't output as much power @ 300 Ohms* as the balanced XLR connection.  *The Senn HD650 has a nominal impedance of 300Ohms.

Does that make sense? 

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #3,869 of 5,414
How do you guys have your system set up in WIndows?

Do you set Windows volume all the way up and then control the system volume thru the OPPO-HA-1 remote control?

And the speakers? Do you turn the speaker volume (knob) all the way up?

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #3,870 of 5,414
Any other volume controls should be set at 100% and you should be using the HA-1's volume control to adjust your headphone volume.  Ideally it's volume control is in the 10:00-2:00 range at normal levels.

When I had HD650s I achieved that on the low gain setting.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back