Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #3,421 of 5,414
Are you supposed to get higher volume/gain out of the front balanced output vs. the regular quarter-inch output? Or am I just imagining things? I've been listening to my HD800's at -8dB using the quarter inch output for the past few weeks. Just picked up a balanced cable and now it seems -14dB is more suitable.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #3,422 of 5,414
Are you supposed to get higher volume/gain out of the front balanced output vs. the regular quarter-inch output? Or am I just imagining things? I've been listening to my HD800's at -8dB using the quarter inch output for the past few weeks. Just picked up a balanced cable and now it seems -14dB is more suitable.

Yes. That is normal. HA-1 has more power / gain in balanced connection.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #3,423 of 5,414
4X more power through balanced as per the specs.

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #3,424 of 5,414
  That is normal. You are hearing the voltage being re-engaged for the headphone output (or the analog outputs, if you are connected with speakers). When turning on the HA-1, when muting, when changing inputs, or when the source resolution or frequency changes, then the HA-1 will mute the outputs. When muted, no voltage is present in these outputs as we are using a physical relay. After unmuting voltage is re-introduced to the analog and headphone outputs. This can result in a slight "pop" or "crackle" as most devices will amplify the change from no voltage to some voltage.

Thanks for answering my question.  Everything seems right then!

Loving the HA-1.  It has all the inputs you could ever want, USB works flawlessly, plenty of power for the LCD-2, HE500 and ZMF Blackwoods.  And it is GORGEOUS.  It is expensive but it looks expensive too.  Great job Oppo.

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #3,425 of 5,414
And for any Canadians out there looking to get one, you should go to Solutions AV.  They are just outside Toronto and have excellent service and support.

http://shop.solutionsav.ca/ha-1-headphone-amplifier-black-finish/

The price, in Canadian, is cheaper than buying direct from Oppo because of our horrible exchange rate.  They are an authorized dealer and 'upgrade' your warranty to a 2 year exchange warranty.

I bought mine from them and couldn't be more impressed with their service.

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #3,426 of 5,414
  And for any Canadians out there looking to get one, you should go to Solutions AV.  They are just outside Toronto and have excellent service and support.

http://shop.solutionsav.ca/ha-1-headphone-amplifier-black-finish/

The price, in Canadian, is cheaper than buying direct from Oppo because of our horrible exchange rate.  They are an authorized dealer and 'upgrade' your warranty to a 2 year exchange warranty.

I bought mine from them and couldn't be more impressed with their service.

I want to echo this comment. I purchased a BDP-103 a couple years ago and the HA-1 a month ago from this company without issue.

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #3,427 of 5,414
Hey all. Anyone have any experience with the schiit mjolnir/gungnir (or something like that...) stack vs the HA-1 in terms of sound? I know the stack is about 4-500 dollars more and has less functionality. Talking straight up headphone amp here. 

Thanks!

My Oppo HA-1 replaced a Gungnir/Asgard 2 stack but it was primarily for features and to simplify the setup. During the transition my only headphones were a pair of AKG K712s and there was no appreciable difference in sound quality for me.

Bill

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #3,428 of 5,414
I want to echo this comment. I purchased a BDP-103 a couple years ago and the HA-1 a month ago from this company without issue.
A

Anybody in Winnipeg, I suggest Americn Hi Fi. Dennis will match the price. (Or he always has with me)

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #3,430 of 5,414
Hello,
I have a week old HA-1 and one day old LCD-2s.  I'm going to give them a few days of pink noise and EDM to work in.
Questions for any similar owners:
1. How much did/does the sound open up? (There is plenty of power via SE output, but I get a "closed in" or "lacking headroom" impression when playing tracks with which I'm very familiar.)
2. Does the XLR out add just top end power in practice more headroom? (hp vs torque)  Stinks that the balanced cable I'd like probably can't be made before my 30 days is up on either product.
3. Anyone in the same position upgrade to LCD-3 or stick with the HP and upgrade the amp?
Thanks, 

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #3,431 of 5,414
  Hello,
I have a week old HA-1 and one day old LCD-2s.  I'm going to give them a few days of pink noise and EDM to work in.
1. How much did/does the sound open up? (There is plenty of power via SE output, but I get a "closed in" or "lacking headroom" impression when playing tracks with which I'm very familiar.)
2. Does the XLR out add just top end power in practice more headroom? (hp vs torque)  Stinks that the balanced cable I'd like probably can't be made before my 30 days is up on either product.
3. Anyone in the same position upgrade to LCD-3 or stick with the HP and upgrade the amp?
Thanks, 

The LCD-2 is not known for its soundstage. The LCD-3 is better however neither are known for it. They won't ever sound like the HD800 for example.
I have the LCD-3 and I never noticed any difference in sound over time. I did with the HA-1 tho.

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #3,432 of 5,414
Hello,
Thanks, 

I use my lcd2.2s pre fazor balanced with custom made cables. The soudstage is much greater than SE. Thank god they dont sound like the 800. This is a solid state amp so a little color is good. IMO. Let your HA1 burn in and enjoy your phones. They are a great pair together. Your budget is your only restraint. You are in diminishing returns now.

But im still buying, and I have the same unit. I'm not sellng that one though. It's a perfect office unit

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #3,433 of 5,414

Thanks for the input. May have to try the LCD-3.
Look forward to trying the OPPO's balanced connection.
Don't get me wrong, LCD-2F does sound much better than my previous/starter cans.
The tonal balance and sound stage differences are just more obvious than I could have expected.
Had to start in this thread to make sure it wasn't a component mismatch or common amp experience.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #3,434 of 5,414
I use my lcd2.2s pre fazor balanced with custom made cables. The soudstage is much greater than SE. Thank god they dont sound like the 800. This is a solid state amp so a little color is good. IMO. Let your HA1 burn in and enjoy your phones. They are a great pair together. Your budget is your only restraint. You are in diminishing returns now.

But im still buying, and I have the same unit. I'm not sellng that one though. It's a perfect office unit

I agree with your HD800 statement. I shake my head every time someone says they sound great together. They don't know what they are missing. The combo is lifeless.
If that is all I had I would get a hammer and smash both. I just couldn't take it.
For the record I have listened to the combo. I couldn't take the cans off fast enough. HD800 does sound great with other DAC/Amps tho.

The HA-1 / LCD is a great combo. Add a warmer DAC then you have a killer combo. One that I could live with and use forever. I could do without my tube amp with this combo.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #3,435 of 5,414
I agree with your HD800 statement. I shake my head every time someone says they sound great together. They don't know what they are missing. The combo is lifeless.
If that is all I had I would get a hammer and smash both. I just couldn't take it.
For the record I have listened to the combo. I couldn't take the cans off fast enough. HD800 does sound great with other DAC/Amps tho.

The HA-1 / LCD is a great combo. Add a warmer DAC then you have a killer combo. One that I could live with and use forever. I could do without my tube amp with this combo.
[/quote

Yea, it's funny. Me, I like neutral equipment and color on my phones. Others like neutral phones and color (tubes)on the amps.

I really did like my Lyr though when I had it., but neutral amp, dac, and phones , can sound
pretty boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back