Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #3,406 of 5,414
thanks! any more comparative thoughts between the bifrost and ha-2? ive heard some differing opinions of which is superior. rly interested in a relative comparision of sound signature. how much brighter for example (like the difference between the k712 and q701 headphones or hd800 from lcdx difference or smtg more subtle?) how does the bass response compare? thanks for ur help!

You mean the HA-1 above, right?

All my comparisons were using the Oppo's amp section using RCA with the Bifrost Uber connected to my PC via USB vs. the Oppo's own DAC/amp setup with the same USB cable out of the same USB port on my PC.

Again these differences were very subtle and were only obvious after a lot of A/Bing, but I found them to be consistent after the first hour or so of listening of a 4-5 hour headphone bender. So I wouldn't say the DAC difference to be even remotely close to the difference between an HD800 vs. an LCD-X, which is more of an obvious difference in sound signature. However, just a warning that I'm not sure how good my critical listening abilities are, so YMMV if there are people who have heard a lot more DACs and amps than I have and can provide more nuanced impressions.

I found the Bifrost was comparably bright to the HA-1, with no noticeable difference in terms of the balance across all frequencies. My out-of-the-box impressions of the Schiit was that bass, mids and treble sounded equal in quantity, with perhaps a tiny bit less treble sharpness with the Bifrost, but more extended listening didn't really carry that out that treble difference, and my end judgment is that they're very similar in balance. Both sound remarkably similar in terms of sound signature. The biggest differences were in terms of resolution and detail. The Bifrost was not as smooth, with treble especially lacking the same quality and detail of the Oppo. Notes didn't appear as distinct, and timbre of instruments wasn't as lifelike or realistic on the Schiit, particularly noticeable with cymbals and hi-hats taking on a fuzzy, brittle quality. There were a lot of microdetails the HA-1 nailed that lent more of a sense of transparency into the music compared to the Bifrost. Again, the Oppo just feels smoother and more transparent, but the differences I could only quantify as 1% at most. I honestly don't think there's a noticeable difference (to me, at least) of the overall sound signature and balance, so I think you would be happy with the HA-1 if you like the Bifrost. I'd guess that your Lyr 2 + Bifrost would make much more of an obvious difference in sound signature than just the DACs out of the same amp, although I don't have the Lyr 2 to compare.

One additional note I'd give is that I personally found the balanced output on the HA-1 to be much brighter/more forward than the single-ended for some reason, and that was immediately noticeable. I posted that in this thread a week or so ago and some people reported back that they had a similar experience going balanced vs SE with the Oppo while others didn't, so YMMV.

The best part about buying the Oppo for me was knowing that I could return it for a full refund to Oppo within 30 days with no questions asked, so I'd urge you to try it as well if you can front the dough (hooray for credit cards!) but after having it for 3 weeks now I'm sure I'm going to keep it. I ended up returning the PM-1 to Oppo after encountering some immediate comfort issues and preferring the LCD-X, and it was smooth and painless and a quick refund. I think I needed the Bifrost comparison to remind me of how good the DAC implementation is in this thing.

TL;DR, I find the Oppo HA-1 was better than the Bifrost, but it's a very subtle difference that doesn't really have much to do with the strikingly similar sound signature.

Hope this helps!

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #3,407 of 5,414
Spamateur Thank you so much for the in-depth comparision!! very helpful :) ya i did mean ha1, sry typed it out on my smartphone. if u cld comment on the bass it wld b rly helpful too. saw ur response n the lcdx thread too and asked abt bass there, but just respond on one thread is fine. rly appreciate ur impressions! may go the route of swapping out my bifrost+lyr 2 for the ha1 after i audition the ha1 for myself, but ur impressions are very reassuring. thanks!!

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #3,408 of 5,414
@Spamateur Thank you so much for the in-depth comparision!! very helpful
smily_headphones1.gif
ya i did mean ha1, sry typed it out on my smartphone. if u cld comment on the bass it wld b rly helpful too. saw ur response n the lcdx thread too and asked abt bass there, but just respond on one thread is fine. rly appreciate ur impressions! may go the route of swapping out my bifrost+lyr 2 for the ha1 after i audition the ha1 for myself, but ur impressions are very reassuring. thanks!!

From memory of late last night, the bass on both was quite comparable in impact, tightness and speed. The same lack of transparency compared to the Oppo was present in the bass, however. I played Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" (high-res remastered version from HDTracks) several times to compare, and the opening bass notes have a bit of a tremolo effect that was much cleaner on the Oppo HA-1 and seemed a bit weirdly exaggerated on the Bifrost Uber for some reason. Again, very subtle difference here too. I don't recall any noticeable differences in overall bass slam, however, but let me get back to you after I get home from work and a chance to audition more fully.

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #3,409 of 5,414
  From memory of late last night, the bass on both was quite comparable in impact, tightness and speed. The same lack of transparency compared to the Oppo was present in the bass, however. I played Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" (high-res remastered version from HDTracks) several times to compare, and the opening bass notes have a bit of a tremolo effect that was much cleaner on the Oppo HA-1 and seemed a bit weirdly exaggerated on the Bifrost Uber for some reason. Again, very subtle difference here too. I don't recall any noticeable differences in overall bass slam, however, but let me get back to you after I get home from work and a chance to audition more fully.

thank you for the quick comparison and I look forward to hearing if you have anything else to add after tonight! Thanks again :) very helpful

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #3,410 of 5,414
Hey all. Anyone have any experience with the schiit mjolnir/gungnir (or something like that...) stack vs the HA-1 in terms of sound? I know the stack is about 4-500 dollars more and has less functionality. Talking straight up headphone amp here. 

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #3,411 of 5,414
  Dumb question for you guys, and excuse my noobishness:

I have Foobar2000 on my PC feeding the HA-1 through WASAPI push mode. Earlier I was listening and thought I was hearing a bit of distortion through my LCD-X on low gain, although I was doubtful I was actually hearing distortion as I'm still getting used to the HA-1 sound in general. I flipped the Oppo's screen over the VU meters and realized that the needles would regularly spike over the 0 level.

I noticed that the HA-1 automatically sets my Windows volume level to 100 and that adjusting it made no difference to the actual volume level being played on the Oppo. I went into Foobar and set ReplayGain preamp setting to a -10 dB level and left the actual volume setting in Foobar at 0 dB. Is this the correct method for addressing the fact that the VU meters were spiking over 0? I'm now seeing them never maxing out that high and mostly topping out at -3 to -1 max.

In case anyone was wondering (you probably weren't, but I'll post for posterity) I contacted Oppo about the above from a couple weeks back and got this answer. They took maybe 30 minutes to respond. That's great customer service!

Here's what they said:

"The VU meter is an old analog instrument. The 0VU point is defined as 1.228V RMS into 600-Ohm. The HA-1 uses 2V RMS as its 0dBFS digital maximum level, so it is normal to see the VU needle going beyond 0VU into the red area. The HA-1’s design guarantees that there will be no clipping at these levels. There is no need to reduce the output level from the computer. Using a digital connection there is no way to exceed 0dBFS, so there is no risk of clipping or overloading the HA-1 using a digital signal."

Now we know in case anyone was wondering.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #3,412 of 5,414
Strange.. Any special component?

No special component, just Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable, but I think if I replace it with Belkin or Monoprice USB cable, the remote will still work.
Can't help you with the screen shot as I'm overseas right now

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #3,413 of 5,414
I've had my HA-1 for a couple of weeks now and I love it so far. I have one issue that I've emailed Oppo support about and they've not seen it before and suspect the issue is on my side. When I use the HA-1 with my 2014 Mac Mini (OSX 10.10.3) via USB it works fine. However, if I then plug my HDMI cable from the Mac Mini to my Samsung TV, the USB driver becomes 'unstable'. If look at the Audio Midi applet in OSX, the USB driver appears, then disappears, then reappers, and so on and eventually goes away...the USB output becomes unavailable. If I unplug the HDMI cable from the Mac Mini, the HA-1 USB reappears and is available to play.
Has anyone else seen this behavior?
I also have an Intel NUC that runs Windows 8.1 and 10 and it works fine the both the HA-1's USB and HDMI connected.
I've tried different USB ports on the Mac Mini, different USB and HDMI cables, and different HDMI inputs on the TV, but the results are the same.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #3,414 of 5,414
  I've had my HA-1 for a couple of weeks now and I love it so far. I have one issue that I've emailed Oppo support about and they've not seen it before and suspect the issue is on my side. When I use the HA-1 with my 2014 Mac Mini (OSX 10.10.3) via USB it works fine. However, if I then plug my HDMI cable from the Mac Mini to my Samsung TV, the USB driver becomes 'unstable'. If look at the Audio Midi applet in OSX, the USB driver appears, then disappears, then reappers, and so on and eventually goes away...the USB output becomes unavailable. If I unplug the HDMI cable from the Mac Mini, the HA-1 USB reappears and is available to play.
I also have an Intel NUC that runs Windows 8.1 and 10 and it works fine the both the HA-1's USB and HDMI connected.
I've tried different USB ports on the Mac Mini, different USB and HDMI cables, and different HDMI inputs on the TV, but the results are the same.

Is it the driver that's causing issues, or perhaps a lack of consistent power to the USB port on the Mac Mini with the HDMI port in use as well? I'd perhaps try something like a Schiit Wyrd. For $100 (and the cost of another USB cable) it's worth a shot, especially since you can return it to Schiit if it doesn't help.

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #3,415 of 5,414
I may have a clue (but not sure what to do with it)...in checking the OSX Console system logs, each time the HA-1's driver disappears from the Midi list, there's a message about 'VDCAssistant unable to find camera'.  The Mac Mini doesn't have a camera and I don't have an external camera of any kind.  If I disconnect the HDMI cable from the Mac Mini, the VDCAssitant errors go away and the HA-1 plays happily.

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #3,416 of 5,414

I don't have a Mac, but from what you describe, it sounds like the HiDef audio driver for the HDMI conflicts with the USB audio driver.  If you're using the TV as your primary display (I would guess you were or you wouldn't have it on while you're listening to music) see if there is an option to disable the HDMI audio driver.  I've seen this happen on a Windows 7 machine before.  Just a thought.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #3,417 of 5,414
  thank you for the quick comparison and I look forward to hearing if you have anything else to add after tonight! Thanks again :) very helpful

Sorry for taking me so long to respond. My girlfriend left early Friday morning to head abroad for nearly 3 weeks, so things were a little crazy while she was packing, etc. Just to quickly follow up on my earlier impressions, they haven't really changed. Outside of the initial impressions of clarity/detail between the two DACs, I personally can't detect a difference in bass impact or quantity. I've already contacted Schiit and will be sending the Bifrost Uber back on Monday as the Oppo really can't be beat for price/performance and features. 

Incidentally, I got a pair of Sennheiser HD650 yesterday just for kicks and have to say the pairing with the HA-1 is pretty spectacular. 

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #3,418 of 5,414
  You mean the HA-1 above, right?

All my comparisons were using the Oppo's amp section using RCA with the Bifrost Uber connected to my PC via USB vs. the Oppo's own DAC/amp setup with the same USB cable out of the same USB port on my PC.

Again these differences were very subtle and were only obvious after a lot of A/Bing, but I found them to be consistent after the first hour or so of listening of a 4-5 hour headphone bender. So I wouldn't say the DAC difference to be even remotely close to the difference between an HD800 vs. an LCD-X, which is more of an obvious difference in sound signature. However, just a warning that I'm not sure how good my critical listening abilities are, so YMMV if there are people who have heard a lot more DACs and amps than I have and can provide more nuanced impressions.

I found the Bifrost was comparably bright to the HA-1, with no noticeable difference in terms of the balance across all frequencies. My out-of-the-box impressions of the Schiit was that bass, mids and treble sounded equal in quantity, with perhaps a tiny bit less treble sharpness with the Bifrost, but more extended listening didn't really carry that out that treble difference, and my end judgment is that they're very similar in balance. Both sound remarkably similar in terms of sound signature. The biggest differences were in terms of resolution and detail. The Bifrost was not as smooth, with treble especially lacking the same quality and detail of the Oppo. Notes didn't appear as distinct, and timbre of instruments wasn't as lifelike or realistic on the Schiit, particularly noticeable with cymbals and hi-hats taking on a fuzzy, brittle quality. There were a lot of microdetails the HA-1 nailed that lent more of a sense of transparency into the music compared to the Bifrost. Again, the Oppo just feels smoother and more transparent, but the differences I could only quantify as 1% at most. I honestly don't think there's a noticeable difference (to me, at least) of the overall sound signature and balance, so I think you would be happy with the HA-1 if you like the Bifrost. I'd guess that your Lyr 2 + Bifrost would make much more of an obvious difference in sound signature than just the DACs out of the same amp, although I don't have the Lyr 2 to compare.

One additional note I'd give is that I personally found the balanced output on the HA-1 to be much brighter/more forward than the single-ended for some reason, and that was immediately noticeable. I posted that in this thread a week or so ago and some people reported back that they had a similar experience going balanced vs SE with the Oppo while others didn't, so YMMV.

The best part about buying the Oppo for me was knowing that I could return it for a full refund to Oppo within 30 days with no questions asked, so I'd urge you to try it as well if you can front the dough (hooray for credit cards!) but after having it for 3 weeks now I'm sure I'm going to keep it. I ended up returning the PM-1 to Oppo after encountering some immediate comfort issues and preferring the LCD-X, and it was smooth and painless and a quick refund. I think I needed the Bifrost comparison to remind me of how good the DAC implementation is in this thing.

TL;DR, I find the Oppo HA-1 was better than the Bifrost, but it's a very subtle difference that doesn't really have much to do with the strikingly similar sound signature.

Hope this helps!

I went through this exercise with a Bifrost Uber as well.  I also did the similar exercise with an Asgard 2 and the analog section.  Basically the uber and HA-1 through both the HA-1 and the Asgard.  Then the HA-1 and the Asgard fed from first the HA-1 and then the uber.  I posted on this fairly early in this thread if I recall correctly.  My experience essentially matches yours.  I couldn't tell the amps apart when fed from either dac.  I could barely tell the two dacs apart, with the uber a bit smoother, more laid back, and the HA-1 a bit more detail oriented and bright.  The differences to me were vanishingly small though, bordering on expectation bias.  My takeaway - I kept the HA-1 as a 1 box solution with the best fit and finish I have encountered in anything I've owned (and a bitchin' screen), even though the Uber is a bit more my style.  Both amps are good (great), and the Asgard 2 is a great bargain.  The HA-1 is just so very hard to beat at it's price point.

Disclaimer - I beta tested the HA-1, HA-2, PM-1 and PM-3, and I'm a shameless Oppo fanboy.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #3,419 of 5,414

I went through this exercise with a Bifrost Uber as well.  I also did the similar exercise with an Asgard 2 and the analog section.  Basically the uber and HA-1 through both the HA-1 and the Asgard.  Then the HA-1 and the Asgard from first the HA-1 and then the uber.  I posted on this fairly early in this thread if I recall correctly.  My experience essentially matches yours.  I couldn't tell the amps apart from either dac.  I could barely tell the two dacs apart, with the uber a bit smoother, more laid back, and the HA-1 a bit more detail oriented and bright.  The differences to me were vanishingly small though.  My takeaway - I kept the HA-1 as a 1 box solution with the best fit and finish I have encountered in anything I've owned, even though the Uber is a bit more my style.  Both amps are good (great), and the Asgard 2 is a great bargain.

Disclaimer - I beta tested the HA-1, HA-2, PM-1 and PM-3, and I'm a shameless Oppo fanboy.

The funny thing is after this post I actually had a flashback to reading your comparisons from when I was originally thinking of picking up the HA-1 a couple months ago. If I remember correctly, they gifted you an HA-1 in thanks for your beta testing feedback?

Also, very happy to know that we're hearing similar things! I think your term "vanishingly small" is the best way to put it, considering it took multiple hours of comparing the two to hear consistent differences between the two DACs. What sonic differences that exist are incredibly subtle, and it basically came down to preferring the tiny increases in clarity of the HA-1 as well as loving the stark differences in fit and finish and feature set for the price, not to mention that gorgeous LCD screen is an instant eye catcher for anyone that walks into my computer room. I think Schiit products are fantastic for the price, but I have to say that pulling the Uber Bifrost out of the box was quite underwhelming compared to the Oppo unboxing experience where you just get this beautifully crafted monolithic slab of a machine. 

I'm quite jealous of your beta testing. I do really regret that the PM-1 didn't work with my watermelon head and big ears, as I did really enjoy the sound signature and would have kept them as a nice counterpart to my LCD-X. I can only imagine that the warm, smooth, yummy sound sig of the PM-1 would be a perfect match with the HA-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back